How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-20-2011, 06:26 PM

Default Advice on a lightweight mixing setup

Hi there -

I'm coming back into music production after about 5 years of being away. Prior to that, I ran a tracking/mixing studio which I had built on PT (Version 6.x at the time). I'm getting back in to help out my church by doing some mixes at home (e.g. they'll give me a hard drive fill of the raw digital tracks, I'll mix them down and give them the hard drive back). In that I don't have any of my old setup, I'm looking for some advice on a minimalist setup for just mixing.

One key thing to point out is that I no longer have dedicated space for mixing and I've got 2 little kids running around messing with stuff - hence, I'm looking for a setup that has a pretty low physical footprint (for example, I'm thinking about picking up some of these instead of nearfield monitors - http://ultimateears.com/en-us/produc...rence-monitors).

The thing I'm most curious about is whether or not I need to fuss with any outboard interface (browsing around, it doesn't appear that most of the M-* products have PC cards anymore) or whether I can just buy PT 9 and use a good headphone preamp.

thoughts?

tia,

_howard
Old 03-20-2011, 07:11 PM

What are the specs on the computer you'll be using? And what is the church using to record?

Those in-ears look to be impressive from what I've read, and could def be your best bet if you can't dedicate a room to be sound treated. And if your going to spend that kind of money on the in-ears I'd seriously look into a really solid interface to pair with it. But we need to know what computer you're using first. ;-)

And yes with pt9 you can use almost any interface out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-20-2011, 10:31 PM

Default Re: Advice on a lightweight mixing setup

will be on my core i5, 8gb ram, 80 gb ssd primary, 150 gb 10k rpm raptor secondary, (will probably purchase a 3rd, larger size 7200 rpm)

the church is currently using logic, but they are migrating to PT 9 - that's one reason I'm interested in going forward with PT (that and it's what I'm comfortable with :))

yea - i'm a little worried about mixing with in-ears (especially because I've got a pair of Adam Audio S2As sitting across from me in the corner. However, the reality is that my room wouldn't do anywhere close to justice for those monitors. In addition, I've got 2 little kids that will be running around while I'm working, so the in-ear option seems like a good one.

I saw that sweetwater is doing a bundle of PT 9 with the motu minibox.

thoughts?

_howard
Old 03-21-2011, 05:27 AM

hi howard,

i've been looking into this type of mix setup for myself. what i've decided on is getting an avid artist mix which just uses a simple ethernet connection to your laptop. since i'll only be mixing with my laptop, and not tracking, i don't need an interface connected so with just the artist mix and a good pair of monitoring headphones i'll be able to mix anywhere.

remember that PT9 can use your laptop's sound card for playback with the free ASIO4ALL driver so you can keep it as simple as mixer + headphones.

good luck,
marco
Old 03-21-2011, 06:54 PM

If I were in your shoes I'd like to get an interface also. As most built in sound cards are a bit lacking. Looks like you're using windows and the two interfaces I was thinking of are Mac only. Maybe someone else can chime in. Maybe something from MOTU or RME?

Old 03-21-2011, 09:47 PM

I had looked at the motu microbook
Old 03-22-2011, 04:50 AM

Oh and I've read the new mbox's are really solid also. So maybe an mbox mini?

And if you do get those ultimate ears, let us know what you think of them. They've seriously got my attention. As I'm in a similar situation. Thanks.