How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2011, 09:30 AM

Default Upgrading to PT10HD without upgrading to HDX

Hello,

We want to upgrade to PT10HD from PT9HD and continue using our TDM HD3 System without buying the new HDX cards.
What features aren't included in the upgrade to PT10HD from PT9HD doing it this way?

From what i gather, it will be missing improved track counts and the use of AAX plugins Vs TDM. Is there anything else that isn't included. Disk Cache? Offloading of Ram?

Thanks.

EP
Old 10-21-2011, 09:39 AM

Default Re: Upgrading to PT10HD without upgrading to HDX

Pretty sure you get all those features without having the power of the HDX card and 64 bit access. Not sure on the AAX.

The kicker is that this will be the LAST Pro Tools update to the Accel systems. Kinda like when the Mix plus stopped at 7.4. This is the last PT update supported by the accel system.

Time to start saving. UGH

the endless pit!

Doc

MONUMENT SOUND ON YOUTUBE

Monument Sound Facebook

"Changing how people hear music one track at a time"
Old 10-21-2011, 09:47 AM

And, you won't get extended ADC.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 10-21-2011, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epik Productions View Post
Hello,

We want to upgrade to PT10HD from PT9HD and continue using our TDM HD3 System without buying the new HDX cards.
What features aren't included in the upgrade to PT10HD from PT9HD doing it this way?

From what i gather, it will be missing improved track counts and the use of AAX plugins Vs TDM. Is there anything else that isn't included. Disk Cache? Offloading of Ram?

Thanks.

EP
The TDM cards limit you to the 192 voices maximum that we are used to. ADC also remains limited to 4k samples. Native AAX Plug-ins will run as RTAS. Disk cache, clip gain and all the other new features run on TDM systems.
Old 10-21-2011, 10:50 AM

Cool, thanks for the replies.

If by not upgrading to the new cards you only lose extra voices and higher adc then im sold.

I agree that its brutal that the tdm systems are history, but i think its nice that they didn't completely write us off this time by not including the new workflow features and resources (ram and disk cache) as i predicted they would.

I figured this was coming when we saw pro tools hd system trade ins for super cheap and when waves started selling their plugins in tdm and rtas form for super cheap. I believe we paid 15000 for our waves tdms a few years ago and now its like 8.

Do you think that 3rd party plugin companies will offer update packages from tdm to aax at some point?