Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2010, 03:10 PM

Default Re: HEAT (Harmonically enhanced Algorithm Technology)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasttraxx View Post
Sure things keep moving forward and like most who wouldn't want the latest new super computer and the newest super PT HD rig, but the matter here is PPC users have never been offered (in my oppinion) a fare upgrade optino to go from PCIx to PCIe. We have been offered a $4000 price for an HD3 upgrade, which is basically the same thing we already own, except it will allow us to buy new computer for $2,500-$5000. So we are looking at a pretty big upgrade price.

THANKS for posts like this fasttraxx

Old 08-18-2010, 03:37 PM

digging Heat here too !! very much...I wish it would work on instrument channels too though...Digi - is this something we'll see in a future upgrade ? when u have 20-30 tracks of VI's it would be kinda nice to hear them heated up
Old 08-18-2010, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasttraxx View Post
Sure things keep moving forward and like most who wouldn't want the latest new super computer and the newest super PT HD rig, but the matter here is PPC users have never been offered (in my oppinion) a fare upgrade optino to go from PCIx to PCIe. We have been offered a $4000 price for an HD3 upgrade, which is basically the same thing we already own, except it will allow us to buy new computer for $2,500-$5000. So we are looking at a pretty big upgrade price.
Yeah, it's a pricey upgrade no doubt. I decided it was worth it for me a couple of years ago when my G5 started having hardware issues, but I gave long consideration to just buying a used G5.

As to whether it's fair or not, that's up for debate, as AFAIK most manufacturers don't offer hardware trade-ins. So the argument could be made that Avid is being more fair and considerate of the their customers than most companies that just leave you at the end of the line with no help at all.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjamesbomb View Post
digging Heat here too !! very much...I wish it would work on instrument channels too though...Digi - is this something we'll see in a future upgrade ? when u have 20-30 tracks of VI's it would be kinda nice to hear them heated up
So from what I am reading, no HEAT on instrument tracks or Auxes. Why would Digi, Oops I mean Avid, miss out on that?
Old 08-18-2010, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crizdee View Post
Hi,

On a 50 track mix it used about 1 chip

Here's a screen shot showing the master controls for heat and the insert on the track etc! it doesn't use a plugin slot it has its own dedicated slot!! it has drive and tone adjustments!

Chris
Hi, from the screen shot it looks like it's using 5 chips?
Old 08-19-2010, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by studiom View Post
Hi, from the screen shot it looks like it's using 5 chips?
Hi,

I've checked closer and 60 mono tracks uses 2 accel chips or 4 non accel chips

When i first checked on a large session it was using just over 1 accel chip for about 50 tracks

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 08-19-2010, 01:40 AM

I only got 14 day demo. How can I get 30 day demo? Should I delete the 14 day demo first?
Old 08-19-2010, 01:41 AM

I'll try to break it down for ya guys since I was wondering that myself.
So, on a mono track it takes up 14%
on a stereo track it takes up 20%
when you have 2 of them on at the same time, it takes up 26%

Another note for you guys who are wondering this,

When you move the Drive knob all the way to the left, you get about 5.5db of compression or more headroom if ya want to call it that.
Moving it to the left means that you are using it as a tape machine.

When you move the drive all the way to the right, you get about 6.1db of compression/more headroom.
When you move it to the right, it's suppose to be a tube emulation, which I'm sure they mean mixing board emu.

It does add a cool sound and I think used lightly, it could build up a nice mix.
I was putting a Hip Hop Loop in it to get these numbers and I was using trim to add level to .01db so, I could hit it hard. To get the most out of it and see what it does.
When you drive it hard, it seems to fold a little, break up or rather get too distorted.

Again, if they just give you 4 half knobs, 1 for the tube sat, 1 for the tape sat, 1 for the dark tone and the last knob for the bright tone, they would really really have something. They would even have to change nothing as far as sound and keep what Dave did. Just break up the knobs as they are broken up but, 2 sounds on one knob doesn't give you the best options.

Avid, think about it for a sec. Put the tape knob first as if it was coming to tape.
Put the Tube knob second as if the tape was going to the board.
Put the Dark or bright knob next. Better yet. Make it 3 knobs as I see no need to break up the tone knob as it is dark or bright.
This makes more since and this is real world thinking, if you want to make this an Pro Tools Mixing Board Sound!!!!

Marc
New System: Macbook Pro M1 Max/16 gigs of Ram/Monterey/3 UAD Quad Satellites/2 PCIe Quad UAD cards/Waves Digigrid/Antelope Zen Pro/OWC 3 Slot Thunderbolt PCIe unit/Over 1400 plugins (Beta Tester for 15 different companies)

YouTube Channel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaZYp2wNomc
Old 08-19-2010, 04:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M2E View Post
I'll try to break it down for ya guys since I was wondering that myself.
So, on a mono track it takes up 14%
on a stereo track it takes up 20%
when you have 2 of them on at the same time, it takes up 26%
Hi,

As you ad more tracks the usage comes right down!

60 mono tracks @48k is using 2 accel chips (aprox 3% per track) or 4 non accel chips (6% per track)..

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 08-19-2010, 04:22 AM

+1
Grateful for a heads-up on how to get the 30-day demo..
thanx!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad jitter View Post
I only got 14 day demo. How can I get 30 day demo? Should I delete the 14 day demo first?