Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 12-19-2014, 01:29 PM

Default Mbox 2 Internal Clock dying?

I have been dealing with this issue for sometime using several different macbook pros and was hoping the new drivers 10.3.9 released would fix but no joy.

My Mbox 2 works perfectly for a few minutes but then slowly the audio begins to crackle and distort, eventually just becoming a repeating short burst of clipped audio.

Currently I am running a mid 2014 MacbookPro Retina(2.8Ghz, Intel i7) running Mavericks 10.9.5 with ProTools 10HD.
I have tried using the USB 3 ports on the macbook pro and also a connected USB 2 Hub but nothing fixes the issue. I know a lot of people have found success using a USB 2 hub but not here.
I also tried different usb cables. Crackle appears on monitor and headphone outputs.
(This is for a small edit rig I sometimes use at home.)

Its not even a Pro Tools issue, the exact same problem happens if I just play audio through iTunes, it starts fine and then in creeps the distorted crackle to eventually a repeating short burst of clipped audio.
BUT as soon as I change output to internal speakers in system preferences and then back immediately to the Mbox 2 output it plays back PERFECTLY for a few minutes and then starts to distort again after a minute or two.

When in Pro Tools, if I change the buffer size or system output- it fixes the problem again for a minute or two and then similarly the distorted crackle happens again.

If its a dying clock, do I have any options or is it probably too expensive to repair?

Thanks for any help.
J
Old 12-23-2014, 08:57 AM

Default Re: Mbox 2 Internal Clock dying?

Is your iLok plugged into a USB2 or USB 3 port?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 12-23-2014, 04:18 PM

I have tried every combination of ilok into USB 2 hub or USB 3 port on my rMBP
and also trying Mbox 2 into USB 2 hub or USB 3 port

I don't think its anything to do with USB 2 or USB 3 issues as some others have experienced since this problem was also happening on my older macbook pro that only had USB 2 ports

Mbox2 audio output starts fine then after 30 seconds it slowly all goes to digital noise

But thanks for the question!

I'm at a loss here.

J
Old 01-04-2015, 08:50 PM

Anybody have any similar experience with an mbox??

Thanks

J
Old 01-20-2015, 12:09 AM

Hi, I am having exactly the same problem... Despite my username also I use pro tools 10, installed on a 2014 mbp pro with mavericks osx , & I'm getting the same issue as you, works fine for a few minutes then slowly audio degrades - however my mbox still works perfectly well with my 2010 iMac, also running mavericks! So I am not sure this is necessarily caused by the mbox itself, I haven't tried using usb 2 ports yet but will do ASAP, I hope there is some fix for what appears to be some kind of compatibility issue, otherwise I will need to buy a new soundcard soon ! (Recommendations welcome)
Old 03-01-2015, 09:55 AM

Hey ProTools8matt

Were you able to have any success figuring out what causes the audio degradation on Mboxs, when the USB 2/3 hub issue has been ruled out?

j
Old 04-02-2016, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmoon View Post
Mbox2 audio output starts fine then after 30 seconds it slowly all goes to digital noise
I´m having the same issues here. But funny enough not when I´m only playing music in iTunes, Spotify etc.
It only appears when I´m playing back in Logic Pro X, so I assume its a driver issue. I´ve googled a bit but didn't come up with a working solution so far. Any help is very appreciated. Thanks !

My current system : MacBook Pro (late 2013) with OS 10.9.5 and Logic Pro X