Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 01-08-2004, 03:58 PM

Default Mbox: 2nd fader possible for monitor volume?

My sincere apologies if this is a redundant question, but my DUC searches are not finding this one. Whatever is the best way to do this is fine, but here is what I need:

I have a pair of Tannoy monitors with no volume or gain controls on them. However, in almost any session I like to use a <Master Fader> stereo track for overall track volume, and for automatic track fades, etc....However, my problem is with cases in which I need to record into a mic using headphones -- and I can cut the montiors off without powering them off. This didn't used to be an issue when I ran some cheaper speakers out of the headphone output, but now that I am using audio outs <1> and <2> on the Mbox, I am not sure what to do. Again, this is probably a very novice question, but I can't seem to make a master for the line-out ports, without turning the whole mix down to zero.

Any info is greatly appreciated!!!

PMC
Old 01-08-2004, 04:00 PM

Default Re: Mbox: 2nd fader possible for monitor volume?

SORRY - that sentence should have read;

"I CAN NOT turn the monitors down without powering them off."

Sorry for the confusion!!!

PMC
Old 01-08-2004, 10:44 PM

Well, if you're just looking to control the volume going to the monitors, why don't you pick up a real small mixer, like a Folio or (gasp) Behringer and put that in-line between the MBox and monitors?

Or, you could hack apart your MBox and solder a couple of fader pots in front of the line outs...not recommended unless you know what you're doing!
San Diego, CA
Old 01-09-2004, 05:40 AM

Check out the samson C-Control for around $100.
Old 01-09-2004, 01:55 PM

Cool. Thanks for all of the great replies. I will check out the Samson.

So, in summary -- the answer is no, the output of the line-outs can't be controlled separately from the volume level of the master fader for the mix? I must admit, I am kind of surprised by that, but, certainly not complaining. Otherwise, the Mbox has been wonderful. I have a hard time convincing people that you can get a full PT hardware and software setup for this kind of price.

Thanks again for all of the replies!!!

pmc
Old 01-09-2004, 02:50 PM

Hmmm...I may be wrong about this, but doesn't the hp volume also control the line output?
Old 01-09-2004, 04:43 PM

No, the headphone volume does not control the line output at all, hence my whole issue. Again, not to be picky, but a <gain-out> volume knob would have been very nice. I guess the thinking is that most users would send the line-outs to some kind of preamp or other unit before it hits the speakers.

I can certainly live with using an outboard unit to control monitor volume, but I would certainly be open to any other "secret" methods if I am missing some inherent feature.

Thanks!

pmc
Old 01-12-2004, 03:15 PM

Funny thing about this. I notice that the Mackie unit (Spike, that just came out) that is an almost exact copy of the Mbox -- has one additional feature: a monitor-out volume control. Ha...

Still very happy with my Mbox however, but I guess Mackie realized this one missing item.

Again, I am totally happy with using some outboard -- the C-Control does look very cool.

PMC