Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-09-2015, 01:16 PM

Default Re: AAX-DSP? Yes! A crowd-funded project you can support if you use DSP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table Syrup Records View Post
I've dealt with a number of FB ad campaigns... can certainly be rough....

On average I see less than 0.1% click-through

(and yes, the spam emails you get through kickstarter for people trying to sell you on exposure services is annoying to say the least - apparently that is some sort of back end service they are making additional money on? lol)
This is useful information
My experiences tend to be the same...
Old 09-09-2015, 01:18 PM
SKnote

Default Re: AAX-DSP? Yes! A crowd-funded project you can support if you use DSP.

(Talking about different systems) No, I'm trying to do this because going (back, for me) to DSP chips is the real step forward.
It is the real world. And opens the gates to embedded, digital live systems, and more.

Last edited by quintosardo; 09-09-2015 at 01:47 PM.
Old 09-10-2015, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyko View Post
What I'd like to see is a (small) company specializing in porting *any" plugins to AAX-DSP and thus being able to help other companies port their plugins to AAX-DSP.
We've all heard the experience from Kush Audio (see the article up on www.pro-tools-expert.com).
This was an interesting post I came across recently that touched on the Kush coding issues.

http://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=2287703&postcount=53
Ross Martin Super Beast
Apple Mac Pro 8 Core 2.66Ghz 16GB RAM
OSX 10.14.6
http://www.keith-moore.org
Old 09-10-2015, 01:24 AM
SKnote

I'd like to stress how the subject is completely different depending on the perspective:

a) a company pays somebody to 100% build a new product. "I have an idea, would you code it for me?".
b) a company develops the product 100% in house.

"a" also means that you are not linked to your provider (the developer), you don't acquire the know-how, hardware, etc. etc. Nothing in your hands but the product you paid for (as a seller).

"b" means that if you did it the first time and did it right (not sticking to third party frameworks) there's no reason to trash what you built and stop with DSP. You have the hardware, the know-how, the framework you developed, the experience. And you code thinking the right way (which means with two chips in mind from the start).
Old 09-10-2015, 06:37 AM
SKnote

Looks like a campaign on Facebook is quite effective to get exposure. Let's see if it is really useful. 30.000 views in twelve hours is not bad.
Old 09-10-2015, 06:43 AM

The views on FaceBook really mean NOTHING though.... (You do mean FB, not KS right?)

The views facebook reports don't really even mean anyone even looked at the ad, it just means that's how many peoples feeds/sidebars the ad popped up on.... so that doesn't mean they even saw it really..... the more important thing is the click-through.... how many of those people that had an opportunity to see the ad actually saw it and clicked on it to get to your KS? IT is actually quite feasible that out of 30,000 impressions (people reached), maybe only 2 or 3 people clicked on it to visit your KS..... Are you looking at the ad campaign details to see 'clicks' etc?

Also, if you are paying per impression (depends on how you set up the ad), you may want to narrow your demographic (you can keyword, set interests, etc etc) - if you are burning 30k in 12 hours and paying per impression, and not getting click-through, a more focused reach makes more sense so you don't just burn a ton of ad funds for nothing.... facebook loves it when you do that, and they try to make it look like it's doing you some good, but you gotta really track it. They love your money :)

Also, if you haven't done it, you can link your KickStarter to Google Analytics... if you don't have an analytics account, you should get one. it's free. Super fast and easy to set up - especially if you have a gmail or google account already. This will let you see more detailed info for the KS campaign - how many people visited, which pages, where they came from .... it can give you a better idea of how your FB ad is doing as well.

Just trying to help. I've sank my teeth in pretty good on a few ad campaigns, and really tracked results.

The information you collect from the ad can be valuable to you later as well - the info gathered from FB/KS and Google Analytics - such as age group, location, interests (if specified in the ad), etc etc.... all this is good for your company to know. Helps to better target advertising and customer acquisition later on

Mac Pro 5,1 3.33 GHz Hex, 32GB
EFI Flashed - 5 GT/s Modded 7950, Dual Apple 23"
OSX Sierra
Pro Tools HD 11.2.2
Waves IOS, IOX, STG2412
Extreme Server (x2)
Logic Pro X, DSP Quattro, Final Cut Pro X
Waves Mercury+SSL+AbbeyRoads
Trident S65 with embedded US-2400

Live:
2012 Mac Mini, Dual SSD, i7 2.4, 16GB
Win 10, OSX Sierra
LV1, MRSG
Hardware from above (same gear)
Dual Dell P2418HT Touch Screens
Waves Icon X (x2), M, with Screens
Custom enclosure
Old 09-10-2015, 06:52 AM
SKnote

I agree 100% with you, but the focused target on FB should make it a bit more useful.
I'm not really looking at reached people but sharing, likes, messages.

I'm waiting for a blog post on the right website, something really serious I hope.
Pro Tools Expert should be quite visible?

Last edited by quintosardo; 09-10-2015 at 07:51 AM.
Old 09-10-2015, 06:53 AM

(I just edited my post and added more)

Protools-Expert is INSANELY visible.

Shoot me a PM. I'll get you in touch with another site that is also highly visible.

Mac Pro 5,1 3.33 GHz Hex, 32GB
EFI Flashed - 5 GT/s Modded 7950, Dual Apple 23"
OSX Sierra
Pro Tools HD 11.2.2
Waves IOS, IOX, STG2412
Extreme Server (x2)
Logic Pro X, DSP Quattro, Final Cut Pro X
Waves Mercury+SSL+AbbeyRoads
Trident S65 with embedded US-2400

Live:
2012 Mac Mini, Dual SSD, i7 2.4, 16GB
Win 10, OSX Sierra
LV1, MRSG
Hardware from above (same gear)
Dual Dell P2418HT Touch Screens
Waves Icon X (x2), M, with Screens
Custom enclosure
Old 09-10-2015, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyko View Post
That's true for any kind of consulting services. But you do not need the AAX-DSP knowhow and most probably not even the tool- and build-chain.

So I'd like to see a company not porting their own plugins to AAX-DSP but a company specializing into porting per se.

I'd help sponsoring that effort by getting some kind of voucher to be used for buying ported plugins.

BTW the link to the Kush Audio story: http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home...sp-development
Last paragraph on this post is an interesting proposal similar to your idea. Doubt it would happen from Avid, but your suggestion would be interesting. Maybe companies like Slate Digital & Soundtoys would even port over if it didn't take away from their new product development.

Maybe Plugin Alliance is up for the task :)

http://duc.avid.com/showpost.php?p=2287800&postcount=56
Ross Martin Super Beast
Apple Mac Pro 8 Core 2.66Ghz 16GB RAM
OSX 10.14.6
http://www.keith-moore.org
Old 09-10-2015, 01:12 PM

Hi Quinto,

Looking at your product page, some plugins looks really interesting.
Wich 5 plugins would you port first?

Thanks!