Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces

Old 12-30-2013, 07:30 PM

Default No Sound w/ Dante Virtual Soundcard

I am running a Dante Virtual Soundcard on an iMac with Pro Tools 11. I know that the DVS is working properly and patched correctly because I am receiving signal in another DAW on this computer. But, it doesn't matter what I do, I cannot get anything in Pro Tools. The I/O says aggregate devise, and I can't find anywhere to change that. In the Setup App, under Hardware Setup, I have changed the audio source to each option, but nothing helps. Does anyone have any ideas of what might fix this problem?
Old 12-30-2013, 08:54 PM

Default Re: No Sound w/ Dante Virtual Soundcard

In the aggregate I/O set up, did you check the input/output assignments that you want Protools to see? you have to make sure that either the DVS is set as the lone interface, or included as part of the aggregate I/O assignments. I had the same problem and it took forever to figure it out.

Also in the DVS set up, I have found that you need to select the 32x32 options for Protools to recognize the DVS (assuming you have the regular version of PT and not an HD version).

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 12-31-2013, 06:16 AM

If I can get protools to recognize the DVS in 32x32, will it ever allow me to record 48 DVS channels, or would I need to upgrade to Pro Tools 11 HD for that?
Old 12-31-2013, 07:51 AM

Is the DVS selected in the Playback Engine settings?
You need to change it there before you do anything with the I/O settings.

System Details
Old 01-01-2014, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
In the aggregate I/O set up, did you check the input/output assignments that you want Protools to see? you have to make sure that either the DVS is set as the lone interface, or included as part of the aggregate I/O assignments. I had the same problem and it took forever to figure it out.

Also in the DVS set up, I have found that you need to select the 32x32 options for Protools to recognize the DVS (assuming you have the regular version of PT and not an HD version).
That worked, and I can now record 32 channels, but occasionally it switches from the DVS to the aggregate devise when I launch Pro Tools. Is there a way to prevent that? Also, is there a way to record more than 32 channels at a time this way?
Old 01-01-2014, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bd0319 View Post
That worked, and I can now record 32 channels, but occasionally it switches from the DVS to the aggregate devise when I launch Pro Tools. Is there a way to prevent that? Also, is there a way to record more than 32 channels at a time this way?
Hold down the N key when starting Pro Tools. Or delete the aggregate IO device entirely in Audio/MIDI setup.

Nope on channels. Pro Tools is limited to 32 with an Core Audio interface.

If you want to play with Dante with more you channels need to come in via a Focusrite Rednet 5 Dante Interface into a HD Native or HDX card or you could also use a MADI bridge to MADI HD (likely less practical and more expensive).
Old 04-16-2017, 04:49 AM

Hi Guys,

I have been trying to sort a similar problem out for a few days. Pro tools can see DVS and all my outputs are working, but I can't seem to get an input. I've checked though my PT I/o settings and the routing of Dante Controller and as far as I can see everything look correct. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Tim
Old 04-16-2017, 08:42 AM

Default No Sound w/ Dante Virtual Soundcard

Quote:
Originally Posted by igetnosleep View Post
Hi Guys,

I have been trying to sort a similar problem out for a few days. Pro tools can see DVS and all my outputs are working, but I can't seem to get an input. I've checked though my PT I/o settings and the routing of Dante Controller and as far as I can see everything look correct. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Tim

Not much info here. Folks here cannot guess what you think "looks correct" is. How about posting shots of playback engine and IO input/output/bus dialog panels and the IO selectors on say the mix window track you are trying to use. And what input from what interface, what mic/DI box etc., recording what exactly to what track? And what debugging have you done to confirm there is a signal present at that input... (can you monitor it through hardware monitoring for example).

What exactly did you do for a few days? Trash prefs? Default all the IO? Try a new empty session? Reinstall any software? (those are the pretty standard steps you should have tried).
Old 04-16-2017, 01:35 PM

I am using a red 4pre connected to my iMac running PT 12.7 on OS X 10.8.5.

here is a screenshot of the Dante controller set up:
Screen Shot 2017-04-16 at 21.15.56.jpg

I am running DVS in 32x32 and have selected DVS as my playback device on PT:
Screen Shot 2017-04-16 at 21.29.54.png

I/O on PT is set to its default, see pics below:
Screen Shot 2017-04-16 at 21.25.56.jpg
Screen Shot 2017-04-16 at 21.26.04.jpg

and my inputs on mix window:
Screen Shot 2017-04-16 at 21.25.43.jpg

I can see I am getting my input from the meter on my red 4pre and all inputs are working when I am using it via Thunderbolt on my MacBook Pro. I then change the set up to Dante and swap to my iMac.

On the iMac I am getting all my outputs, just not my inputs. I have not ran any re installs, I wanted to check first I am set up correctly in the patching or if there are any common mistakes other users had encountered.

Hopefully this is enough info

thanks
Old 04-17-2017, 03:57 AM

got it sorted, I didn't have the inputs correctly routed on the Focusrite Control.

thanks for the help

Tim