Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 09-17-2018, 12:54 PM

Default 11R as main interface for Live

~~I composed this before really diving into the forums, and one thing seems clear: the 11R sucks as an audio interface, unless you want to restart your computer every time you sit down. I don't remember it being this bad when I was using it on Mavericks on my old 2011 MBP. Nonetheless...~~

Due to some other equipment failures (and a genuine desire to get back to my 11R) I'm using it as my main audio interface w/Ableton Live.

Frustratingly, the audio driver requires a full system restart after being disconnected or powered off. Even if I shut the lid of my 2015 rMBP (with the 11R still on) and return later, it's all bad. Sometimes the interface is not listed at all in Audio Properties in Ableton or inAudio/Midi Setup. Sometimes it is listed, but if I select it as the playback source, no playback happens. (Literally--if I press play, it freezes and the song position does not advance.) Midi connects perfectly EVERY time--it always is listed in Live, and I can always connect to the 11R editor.

I thought I had a nice Apollo 13-style startup protocol figured out: Have Ableton "release" the 11R by choosing other interface options; power off the 11R and/or unplug USB (tried both), then powering on the 11R later (with USB already plugged in, as opposed to power on-->insert USB). But I have not been able to reliably replicate that. I've tried every permutation: 11R on, plug into USB; 11R on, plug into different USB; 11R on, plug into USB Hub; USB unplugged, 11R on, plug in; and various permutations of the above. Usually the 11R is not even listed as an option, when it eventually decides to show up, it is invariably still non-functional.

I am on driver 1.2.13. My first attempt will be to roll back the driver to an earlier edition. I'm on MacOS Sierra. I DID want this to be my live rig. Why, you ask? Because my Strat into my old Alembic F2B into the 11R sounds AMAZING. Way better than NI Guitar rig through a Clarett 4 Pre.
Old 09-17-2018, 01:07 PM

Default Re: 11R as main interface for Live

This has always been the behavior.

And restarting the Eleven Rack has nothing to do with this. It’s the driver in the OS that hangs. Working as poorly as designed and unlikely to ever change.

So put up with reboots or configure the computer to never sleep and never manually sleep/suspend it and this won’t happen.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
configure the computer to never sleep and never manually sleep/suspend it and this won’t happen.
True; I do have it so configured. However it also means I can never switch off the 11R. Even turning it off and then back on again* breaks the connection. I can deal with the restarts at home, sort of--my Live set is huge and takes several minutes to close and reopen. I just have to decide if it's reliable enough to play live. Granted, if your interface gets disconnected it's already a disaster, but having to close/reboot everything makes it even more so. And thank you, BTW.

*despite the assurances of the Reynholm Industries IT Department
Old 09-18-2018, 08:05 PM

No, you are misunderstanding the issue.

You can turn the Eleven Rack off anytime you want. That will (unload the driver from the OS and) stop the driver hanging if the computer sleeps or suspends. You normally don’t want to be using the interface in a DAW when you turn it off... but even that will only upset that DAW/session, not the host OS/Driver.

You need to be very clear in you mind what problem you are trying to solve: The main issue people face is not unplugging or powering off the Eleven Rack. The main issue is sleeping or suspending the computer *with* the Eleven Rack connected and powered on. If you are actively trying to use the eleven rack in a DAW or whatever and you unplug it, that is a whole separate problem and the solution is don't do it. Look at reliable power, better cable management, making up a cable retainer etc.

... and once you have powered off or disconnected the Eleven Rack your computer can sleep or suspend without problem and you can resume it and connect back the Eleven Rack without a reboot.... this is a very well understood issue discussed on DUC many many times.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 09-18-2018 at 09:25 PM.