Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-15-2016, 01:02 PM

Default FRW without Titan - Am I chasing my tail?

I have been chasing the FRW for years now and want to find out from others if you have gotten it to work on multiple shows without having to use Titan to phase the WAVs, and, is it sample accurate sync? I work in Broadcast TV in Los Angeles and most of our PT rigs are a couple versions back, but in checking the latest PT 12 manual, it still says Titan is needed to fix any alignment errors. Most of our shows assemble using FRW or Edi-load and FRW, but almost always need to be phased in Titan.

It just seems so baffling to me that here we are in the digital age and we cannot receive a reference AAF and link it to the original recordings and it be spot on. I know there are multiple issues here involving the recorders themselves as well as metadata pass through in the digital dailies process. Does anyone have a near fool proof (I know not everything will be perfect all the time) workflow with all the necessary requirements from production to Post sound?

1. Recorders/software or firmware version? Track count?
2. Camera?
3. On set sync boxes? Jam sync or constant TC sync?
4. Recorder settings?
5. Recorder export settings?
6. Digital Dailies house/process/software
7. mxf media export settings? Consolidate? Separate Audio and Video?
8. MC version?
9. AVID media import/management? Autosync? All channels of audio?
10. AVID metadata management?
11. Perf slipping? Does it affect TC stamp on audio mxf?
12. AAF export type? Reference? Embedded?
13. AAF media type? WAV? mxf? AIFF?
14. Consolidate mxf audio Media to ensure metadata pass through?
15. Copy all mxf audio media?
16. PT version?
17. Point to WAVs or mxf for Expand tracks source?
18. If using WAVs, using poly or mono?
19. If using mxf, any other details I need to know?

Most likely I am behind the times and you all have been using the FRW without Titan flawlessly for years, but I thought I would check in and find out because we are still trying to track down how to do it. Maybe our version of PT is not able to do this properly. If that is the case then I will have to talk to management, but if it is any of the above or some other detail in the process, it seems we should be able to work with our clients to iron those things out and stop duplicating the work of the guys syncing the audio in the digital dailies process.