Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-25-2005, 11:30 AM

Default Help a newbie?

Hello All,

I am somewhat new to PT (and this forum!), and I have question. One one of my songs, there is a snare hit that is just a little late. It is probably not that big of a deal, but it happens to be at a very exposed part in the song.

In the past I have succesfully taken care of such things by identifying the beat, cutting it, and pasting it to the desired location, which works on most occasions. The problem with this particular hit is that it is accompanied by a cymbal crash, and its resonance makes for a difficult cut.

I have actually come close to fixing this, in the aforementioned manner, but what I end up with is some blank space between the end of the hit and the beginning of the next region (or beat). (Hope I am making sense...). This does not sound good.

I tried filling this space with silence, which worked okay, but I would like to ask you all if there is a better way. Is there a way to stretch a region? Or would a fade work better? I actually tried the fade, and it seemed to almost fix the problem, but I get an audible click when the new region begins. Maybe I am not doing it right, as I have not used fades that much...

Could anyone offer some detailed suggestions? I really appreciate!!!
Thanks,
Rip
Old 01-25-2005, 01:06 PM

Default Re: Help a newbie?

Quote:
Hello All,

I am somewhat new to PT (and this forum!), and I have question. One one of my songs, there is a snare hit that is just a little late. It is probably not that big of a deal, but it happens to be at a very exposed part in the song.

In the past I have succesfully taken care of such things by identifying the beat, cutting it, and pasting it to the desired location, which works on most occasions. The problem with this particular hit is that it is accompanied by a cymbal crash, and its resonance makes for a difficult cut.

I have actually come close to fixing this, in the aforementioned manner, but what I end up with is some blank space between the end of the hit and the beginning of the next region (or beat). (Hope I am making sense...). This does not sound good.

I tried filling this space with silence, which worked okay, but I would like to ask you all if there is a better way. Is there a way to stretch a region? Or would a fade work better? I actually tried the fade, and it seemed to almost fix the problem, but I get an audible click when the new region begins. Maybe I am not doing it right, as I have not used fades that much...

Could anyone offer some detailed suggestions? I really appreciate!!!
Thanks,
Rip

I would just replace that hit but that spmetimes throws the feel off. You can stretch the audio but doing so might change the tone if its a long stretch.

the fade is your best bet, if the new region clips then you'll have to cross fade the 2 or you can simply draw the wave form in to zero so that it doesnt pop.
Old 01-25-2005, 01:21 PM

[/QUOTE]

I would just replace that hit but that spmetimes throws the feel off. You can stretch the audio but doing so might change the tone if its a long stretch.

the fade is your best bet, if the new region clips then you'll have to cross fade the 2 or you can simply draw the wave form in to zero so that it doesnt pop.

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the suggestions. Just to try it, how do I stretch a region? And can I just stretch part of a region?
Old 01-25-2005, 02:51 PM

Okay.

While I couldn't find anything in the manual on how to stretch a region (is it called something else?), I did come up with an idea that worked.

I had about 055 seconds of blank space between the regions. I added a crossfade to that, but for some reason, and I am showing my ignorance here, PT added audio in the crossfade. (?) The audio it added happened to be a snare hit, so it almost sounded like a really bad flam when all was said and done. I wish I knew what I was doing with crossfades...

Anyway, I decided to copy about 055 seconds worth of the audio after the original snare/cymbal hit, basically capturing the resonance, and I then pasted that in the space between the regions. It worked pretty well! While not perfect, it sounds better than the late snare hit.

Still would be nice to know how to stretch a region. Anyone?
Old 01-25-2005, 09:27 PM

It's called "Time Compression/Expansion" in Digi lingo, or T C/E. It's in your audiosuite menu and you can look it up in the manual.

You may also be able to find another snare/cymbol hit in another part of the song (where it was played correctly) that you can copy/paste into that spot.

You got a snare in the crossfade because when you crossfade, Protools has to fill the space in between with SOMETHING, and that snare hit was either before the beginning of the right-hand region, or after the end of the left-hand region. IOW, it crossfaded the audio "hidden" in one or the other regions (the gap between). Crossfades don't fill gaps. They're much better used when regions overlap.

PT 2021; MacBookPro M1; 16GB; Spectrasonics; Native Instruments, Toontrack, Waves...too many plugins.