Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-05-2010, 08:32 AM

Default Chances of Mbox 3 + PT 9 bundles?

So as someone with an Mbox 2 Mini I've been pretty intrigued by the new Mboxes, and have been considering getting an Mbox 3, but... it seems kinda silly to buy one with what is a now outdated version of Pro Tools. Have they announced any new bundles yet that I missed?

Do you guys think there's a chance that within the next couple of months the Mbox 3 will get bundled with PT 9?
Old 11-05-2010, 03:17 PM

Default Re: Chances of Mbox 3 + PT 9 bundles?

I'm pretty sure the prices for the new Mboxes will change dramatically when they start coming with PT 9 instead of PT 8. They'll probably either sell the interface (Mbox) separately from PT software to keep the price down, or they'll combine them... but seeing as how PT 9 costs $599 and the new Mbox Mini costs $329... isn't it safe to assume the Mbox mini with PT9 will cost somewhere around $699? Maybe even $799?

Here's something weird: Isn't Avid saying that anyone who purchased PT LE after October 4th qualifies for a free upgrade to PT 9? Wouldn't it make more sense to buy a new 3rd gen Mbox mini for $329 with PT 8 and get the free upgrade rather than buy the $250 "crossgrade" to PT 9? That's basically the same as buying the PT 9 crossgrade and getting the new Mbox mini for $79, right?
Old 11-05-2010, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRaden View Post
I'm pretty sure the prices for the new Mboxes will change dramatically when they start coming with PT 9 instead of PT 8. They'll probably either sell the interface (Mbox) separately from PT software to keep the price down, or they'll combine them... but seeing as how PT 9 costs $599 and the new Mbox Mini costs $329... isn't it safe to assume the Mbox mini with PT9 will cost somewhere around $699? Maybe even $799?

Here's something weird: Isn't Avid saying that anyone who purchased PT LE after October 4th qualifies for a free upgrade to PT 9? Wouldn't it make more sense to buy a new 3rd gen Mbox mini for $329 with PT 8 and get the free upgrade rather than buy the $250 "crossgrade" to PT 9? That's basically the same as buying the PT 9 crossgrade and getting the new Mbox mini for $79, right?
Last I heard it's a $99 upgrade if you purchased after Oct. 4. I still haven't heard anything official about whether or not PT9 will come boxed in anything.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:55 PM

Oops. Looks like I confused the PT HD October 4th free upgrade to PT 9 with a PT LE crossgrade.
Old 11-05-2010, 04:22 PM

Yes I'm afraid there is no PT8LE to PT9 free upgrade. You could go to Guitar Center or someplace today and buy an MBox and you are still looking at paying more money for PT9. I have also been told that since PT LE is no longer being developed, there will come a point when PT9 is bundled with the MBoxes, but the price will go up by several hundred dollars.

So bottom line is, unless you are really enamored with the MBox as an interface, you can go cheaper with something from M-Audio or PreSonus or Alesis, etc. and just buy the software.

Sweetwater actually has a deal going right now where you can buy an MBox 2 mini with the crossgrade and an iLok for LESS than just buying PT9! Crazy, but true. I suppose since those are discontinued, it is only while supplies last. (And no, I don't work for SW!)
Old 11-05-2010, 06:33 PM

Can someone from Avid clear this up? I went out 3 weeks ago and purchased a new Mbox 3. I only see HD users getting a break on PT 9 due to a recent purchase. I do feel like a bit of a sucker. Now if the new Mbox3 is 250.00 more with PT 9 . I don't feel so bad. But is there any break for the customers that bought the MBox 3 family which was only released a month ago?
Thank You
Brad Leigh
Old 11-14-2010, 10:20 AM

Join the club, I bought an Mbox about a month ago too.

And while I didnt buy the thing to run Pro Tools (though its nice as an alternative), the darned thing doesnt work. Lucky for me Pro Tools isnt my DAW of choice, so I guess I'll be keeping the money.