Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack

Old 12-31-2014, 11:05 AM

Default Eleven Rack into Fx Loop?

I just recently picked up an Eleven Rack for studio use and so far I'm loving the sounds. I'm new at connecting fx processors to amps so excuse my noobness with these questions. I did search for an answer but no one seems to be giving a full, concise answer.

I want to use my 11r (with my amp/cabinet setup) as my preamp and just use my amp/head as the poweramp (so there's little to no tone coloration from the amp's preamp). My head has an fx loop and I'm aware I use the fx return to connect the 11r. What output on the 11r do I use though? I'm under the impression that I should use the main out (L) from the 11r into the fx return on my amp because they're both line level. Is that right? if so, then what cable do I need (see told ya nooby) An XLR to 1/4?

If what I mentioned above is the correct way, then how do I control what is being sent from the 11r to my amp? Isn't the Output to Amp 1 & 2 the only means for having control of what output (Rig Input, Amp Input, Amp Output, Rig Output, Rig Output No Cab) is being sent? Using the Main outs sends the entire rig to the target, so in my case I would have no way to remove the cabinet from the 11r signal chain.

Someone please set me straight.

Thanks