Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2014, 11:04 AM

Default Simple sample player for ambience/FX

I am currently working on a series of 12 90min Documentaries about Farmers in northern Germany. Budget and schedule are tight and there is no time for adding detailed additional FX+ambiences.
My idea is to use a simple affordable (or even free) sample player and create a keyboard layout with the ambience/FX files I constantly use to be able to quickly pitch/modulate them or use various sounds at once.
Is there a player available which apart from playing my library files also allows to route and record the various samples (wind, birds, farm FX) to different PT Tracks?

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Mischdepp; 10-24-2014 at 01:13 PM.
Old 10-24-2014, 01:43 PM

Default Re: Simple sample player for ambience/FX

I use Structure in my mix sessions every day for Foley. It has deep Pro Tools integration and can access multiple outputs. There is (or was) a free version, but I don't know the differences in features since the full version is very reasonably priced.
Old 10-25-2014, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reichman View Post
I use Structure in my mix sessions every day for Foley. It has deep Pro Tools integration and can access multiple outputs. There is (or was) a free version, but I don't know the differences in features since the full version is very reasonably priced.
Thanks for the info!!
Structure was my first thought. I have a LE license which I never used but due to the really reasonable pricing will go for the full version.

Your statement "I use Structure in my mix sessions every day for Foley"
really got me.. but popped up some questions:

Are there any restrictions concerning file formats?
My ideal setup would be:
1.import sound files into Structure (via Soundminer if possible)
2.create simple keyboard layouts having each of the sounds I constantly use on the keyboard and
3.being able to save this setup in Structure and being able to access all content in a new PT Session by simply loading Structure on an instrument track

Would you mind sharing your workflow (:
Old 10-26-2014, 06:59 AM

For a series I'm working on, the characters often interact with the same settings. So for example, it's often barefeet on grass/wood/stone, hooves on grass/wood/stone, wingflaps of all sizes, etc. It took a while to record these custom Foley groups, and they get used constantly.

In my Pro Tools template I have a Structure for feet, and another for wings. The Structure instrument settings are saved with the session (very convenient), but you do need to save your custom patches. I have a folder with dozens of custom patches, and at the start of an episode I choose the ones I need.

To make these, there is no way to move audio from Soundminer directly to Structure. Go to Pro Tools first on junk tracks, then select the clips you want and drag and drop those to the patch edit window in Structure. Structure has great defaults for rapidly laying out samples on a keyboard. Nearly instant gratification.

Quote:
3.being able to save this setup in Structure and being able to access all content in a new PT Session by simply loading Structure on an instrument track
You can do this, but you may find it more convenient to leave in your template.

Regarding file formats, Structure has loaded everything that Pro Tools can, so the door is wide open. And there's an obscure bug in PT10 that makes MIDI on the instrument track unreliable. Put MIDI on dedicated MIDI tracks routed to the instrument, and you'll get the 100% reliability I've enjoyed.

Some more advanced topics to familiarize yourself with include:

-seamless looping for infinite sounds
-round-robin sample selection for natural variation
-surround patching from Structure to your mix matrix

Good luck!
Old 10-26-2014, 04:54 PM

WOW!!

Thanks so much Nathaniel!!

All of your input sounds really cool - just what I was after.

For the stuff I'm currently working on the focus is on re-appearing ambiences and FX stuff like Tractors, barn doors and the like...

Do you know of any tutorials out there in the web dealing with basic and advanced use of Structure for post?

Will purchase it right away and start working with it - next EP starts next week...
Old 10-26-2014, 06:04 PM

You're welcome.

Quote:
Do you know of any tutorials out there in the web dealing with basic and advanced use of Structure for post?
I wish I did! I got good at using SampleCell watching some of the legends in our business set up multi-computer SampleCell rigs. Structure replaced SampleCell, but none of the things we're talking about are as sophisticated as what's happening on the music side with enormous, expressive key-switched instruments in EXS24, Vienna, and Kontakt. I think a few hours of experimentation will get you to the level you need to be at.
Old 10-27-2014, 08:50 AM

http://www.groove3.com/str/structure-explained.html
Custom i9-12900K, 64GB RAM, W10 Pro, PT Ultimate 2024.03, HD Native, OMNI, Digi 192, UAD-2 Octo; Mac Pro 12-core 3.46, 64GB RAM, Mojave, Logic Pro 10.5.1, Apogee Rosetta 800, UAD-2 Quad, MOTU 2408 Mk II: MBP mid-2012, 16GB RAM, Mojave, MOTU 8-Pre-ES, Pro Tools 2021.7
Old 11-01-2014, 02:19 AM

Hi guys,

Just take a look at Signo SFX Instruments. Sets are made with Kontakt but this can give you an idea how it works. Check the video section.

Best

Bernard
Old 11-05-2014, 02:57 PM

Hi Bernard,

I just downloaded the free content - very interesting (:
Thanks

@Nathaniel - after purchasing the full version (which indeed is very reasonably priced) I have been working on a "structure-layout" for my purposes today…
and I am beginning to understand the idea/concept and also the vast amount of possibilities included… but have one more question: is there a simple way of displaying the samples allocated to the single key's without having to switch to edit mode?

Thanks
Matthias
Old 11-10-2014, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mischdepp View Post
Hi Bernard,

I just downloaded the free content - very interesting (:
Thanks
You welcome!