Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks

Old 08-09-2019, 05:47 PM

Default Multiple lead vocal tracks or punch in recording

While recording rap verses, is it better to record the verse on one audio track, then use the punch in recording feature to fill in the spots where you needed the breath or have a flow switch, or should you just record as much as you can and then use a new audio track for each punch in.

The latter would take up alot of CPU power wouldnt it? Since every track would have eq compression etc.

The first method would you record as much as you can, then use punch in and out recording to fill holes, breathes etc, then separate the track and use cross fades to clean it up? And then maybe use a sub master and automation recording to control some time based effects? Guy who used to record me did a new audio track for each punch in and that just seemed wild to me
Old 08-09-2019, 06:13 PM

Default Re: Multiple lead vocal tracks or punch in recording

You might consider using Playlists. What I usually do is 3 full passes(on 3 playlists). Then I duplicate the best one and do punch-ins where needed The only reason I would use separate tracks is if there are places where parts need to overlap.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-09-2019, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
You might consider using Playlists. What I usually do is 3 full passes(on 3 playlists). Then I duplicate the best one and do punch-ins where needed The only reason I would use separate tracks is if there are places where parts need to overlap.
Yo thank you! Can you elaborate on the playlist and full pass process a bit? That's something I havent done yet.
Old 08-10-2019, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelsMad03 View Post
Yo thank you! Can you elaborate on the playlist and full pass process a bit? That's something I havent done yet.
Since seeing it beats my half-***** description, hit youtube and search for "using playlists in pro tools"(without the quotes). Put simply, any audio track can have unlimited takes. Since they only playback one at a time, one set of plugins will treat all the same. Once you see that in action, look into "comping using playlists". You have yet to scratch the surface on what you can do in PT

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-10-2019, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Since seeing it beats my half-***** description, hit youtube and search for "using playlists in pro tools"(without the quotes). Put simply, any audio track can have unlimited takes. Since they only playback one at a time, one set of plugins will treat all the same. Once you see that in action, look into "comping using playlists". You have yet to scratch the surface on what you can do in PT
.... this is such a game changer lmao thank you!!
Old 08-10-2019, 10:32 PM

Quote:
This comping part is insane I'm blown away lmao. I have another random question. I've seen some ppl when they're separating tracks etc they hover over the corner of the take and make a cross fade. But when I hover over, it doesnt show that. Is there a reason? I figured i dont have something highlighted. I've looked it up but I keep getting results that are really in depth, the videos i see ppl utilize it, it's almost like a smart tool function.
Old 08-11-2019, 08:55 AM

Quote:
This comping part is insane I'm blown away lmao. I have another random question. I've seen some ppl when they're separating tracks etc they hover over the corner of the take and make a cross fade. But when I hover over, it doesnt show that. Is there a reason? I figured i dont have something highlighted. I've looked it up but I keep getting results that are really in depth, the videos i see ppl utilize it, it's almost like a smart tool function.
I think it's called the multi-tool in PT. You select the tool you want in the tool bar (duh), in top of the edit window, next to the counter, transport and everything. The pointer changes appearance according to the tool you select.
Old 08-11-2019, 10:11 AM

It's called the multi-tool. And you select the option above the three center tools and all three tools below it become highlighted. Then the tool changes based on where it is placed/hovers about the audio. I'd say 99% I'm in multi-tool mode because it is faster to edit.

There is a user manual included with pro tools as a file (see "help" in the menus) that this beginner stuff is covered in.

Or, see shortcut #4 (doesn't really matter how you get to the tool using keyboard keys or mouse click) to see how the multi tool works:
https://mixstudios.com/5-useful-shortcuts-pro-tools/
Old 08-14-2019, 08:02 PM

You guys are awesome. I'm so glad I joined this forum lol. If I knew a fraction of what you guys did I'd be hype
Old 08-14-2019, 08:06 PM

Quote:
You guys are awesome. I'm so glad I joined this forum lol. If I knew a fraction of what you guys did I'd be hype
Best wishes.