Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Licensing & Accounts

Old 10-31-2016, 05:02 PM

Default I have been waiting for Avid to approve a license transfer for a week. ANYONE? AVID?

Hey

Very frustrated. I'm still appalled that one must pay $50-80 to simply speak to someone from Avid on the phone. What a horrible slap in the face to their customers. I have reached out for help with this only to get an automated email informing me that someone from Avid will contact me shortly. Nothing.

I'm wondering if anyone can help me here. Maybe someone from Avid? Do they exist on this forum?

I have someone trying to transfer their Pro Tools 12 HD license to my iLok. They have submitted the transfer and have been waiting for some sort of reply or for it to be processed for a week now. The Avid site says up to 5 business days. I was hoping for this to be resolved last week as I have a project I was hoping to get done. I didn't expect it to be this hard or for it to take this long.

How does one go about finding out the status of the transfer without a ludicrous, money gouging support plan that allows you to speak to a human regarding a product that their customer has paid quite a lot of money for over the last decade or so?

Any help would be very much appreciated.
Old 10-31-2016, 05:52 PM

Default Re: I have been waiting for Avid to approve a license transfer for a week. ANYONE? AV

Hi !

Ive submitted to DS your case for attention .

Hope they would help you soon on this .
Old 10-31-2016, 05:58 PM

Default Re: I have been waiting for Avid to approve a license transfer for a week. ANYONE? AV

last time I did this it took 2 weeks
Old 11-01-2016, 06:44 AM
Avid

Hello,

Sorry for all the trouble...
Can we please have the case number?

Best Regards,
CS
Old 11-01-2016, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeam25 View Post
Hi !

Ive submitted to DS your case for attention .

Hope they would help you soon on this .
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
Hello,

Best Regards,
CS
Where would I get the case number from? Would the person transferring the license have that? Would I simply be able to PM you my info such as email, first and last name and ilok ID?

Thanks for your reply. Hopefully I can get this sorted soon.
Old 11-01-2016, 02:14 PM

I thought PT12 HD licenses were not transferable.
Old 11-01-2016, 03:04 PM

Did they not become transferable after a certain update?

I feel like its a bit ludicrous to not allow someone to sell something they legally purchased to someone else if they so want to.
Old 11-02-2016, 12:04 AM

Just recently the highest court in Germany ruled that selling "used" software is permissible.

I believe until now, from a legal standpoint, this was more or less in the hands of the company that owns the software/the manufacturer. AVID used to have the practice of providing users with an ownership transfer application.

How does it work these days?
Old 11-02-2016, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wreckthisplace View Post
Did they not become transferable after a certain update?

I feel like its a bit ludicrous to not allow someone to sell something they legally purchased to someone else if they so want to.
While all this is not good behavior on Avid's part, there are probably hundreds of posts on DUC discussing this, you can search for them. Read the documentation around transfer of ownership. The root of all legal discussions about this is the software is never purchased to own like an object, you purchase a restricted license to use. That legal framework is well establisged in most jurisdictions in favor of the licensor. Now what Avid might do as they unbundle HD software and hardware moving forward is not clear but I would be surprised if they opened up and became less restrictive with this.

If you paid somebody you do not know for a Pro Tools HD license and all of a sudden they start telling you they cannot transfer stuff, cannot get you case numbers etc. there is a real possibility you have been scammed.

The way anybody can transfer a HD license is an unactivated license from a bundle, or an activated license on a physical iLok, but then you also really need control of the iLok account and email address, and Avid Account for download access.
Old 11-02-2016, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
Hello,

Best Regards,
CS
I'm confused as to why you asked me for a case number, but never came back to see if I replied yesterday. Which I did.

Any help?