Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 08-20-2010, 09:25 AM

Default Re: HEAT (Harmonically enhanced Algorithm Technology)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fasttraxx View Post
Sure things keep moving forward and like most who wouldn't want the latest new super computer and the newest super PT HD rig, but the matter here is PPC users have never been offered (in my oppinion) a fare upgrade option to go from PCIx to PCIe. We have been offered a $4000 price for an HD3 upgrade, which is basically the same thing we already own, except it will allow us to buy new computer for $2,500-$5000. So we are looking at a pretty big upgrade price.
yup.
Old 08-20-2010, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Gioia View Post
Ummm. Uhhh.

Reaper is 64 bit now and their newest version still works with PPC.

But it's probably because they're a bigger company with more resources.

What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 08-20-2010, 09:27 AM

You can use your existing pci cards by spending $2500 on a Magma pci to pci-e expansion chassis like I did and save your investment in cards. It works perfect on the MacPro and is cheaper than all new PT cards
Old 08-20-2010, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howardk View Post
So from what I am reading, no HEAT on instrument tracks or Auxes. Why would Digi, Oops I mean Avid, miss out on that?
It seems kind of confusing to me that if you print that Virtual Instrument, it will then have HEAT on there. Which will instantly make it sound "different". Or do the tracks default to bypass?

And what about "recording to disc"? Do you need to bypass it there too as you will be hearing HEAT applied twice? But only once on the file?

Also, what about gain changes and normalize? Will they effect how hard HEAT is hit?

Also, what if you print a track from one to the other with a buss? Is HEAT applied?
Old 08-20-2010, 09:35 AM

Quote:
It seems kind of confusing to me that if you print that Virtual Instrument, it will then have HEAT on their. Which will instantly make it sound "different". Or do the tracks default to bypass?

And what about "recording to disc"? Do you need to bypass it there too as you will be hearing HEAT applied twice?
The tracks themselves default to ON. HEAT globally, by default, is turned OFF, unless you have a preference set to have it turned ON for new sessions.

I also print mixes using a bus, but have HEAT turned off on that channel. Otherwise I would be monitoring that channel thru HEAT (now hearing HEAT twice).

Last edited by Mark Dann; 08-20-2010 at 09:35 AM. Reason: clarity
Old 08-20-2010, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Ummm. Uhhh.

Reaper is 64 bit now and their newest version still works with PPC.

But it's probably because they're a bigger company with more resources.
Reaper is still not anywhere near Pro Tools. I consider Reaper in the same class as Record.

Ain't no one who's flipped their studio just for Reaper. It's not gonna happen just yet.

Just because Reaper still works for PPC... it actually puts it in a pretty small field these days. Most other DAWs have moved on, as have most plugins. You wanna put Reaper on your G5... no one stopping you. But it's not like a 64-bit program is going to run as one on a G5, either. As I continue to say... PPC is obsolete. Not because Jobs says so, or any other company. It's simply archaic technology. HD still works on them because current HD architecture is also dated. Nothing new is going to be developed for PPC, and I wouldn't want it to. It's time to move forward.

D
a n t h e I n c r e d i b l e S o u n d M a n

"Svetlana" v1 - 4.2GHz i7, 16GB RAM, OSX 10.7.4
Liquid Saffire 56 - PT10.2 - BFD2, VCC, Duende Native, Play 3.0

_C U R R E N T-D V E R B-S C O R E:515
Old 08-20-2010, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Dann View Post
The tracks themselves default to ON. HEAT globally, by default, is turned OFF, unless you have a preference set to have it turned ON for new sessions.
So if I print a virtual instrument to an audio track it will by "default" sound different upon print?

And if I want to record Autotune in graphic mode to an extra track, I have to first bypass the source track to avoid double printing HEAT?
Old 08-20-2010, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post
Reaper is still not anywhere near Pro Tools. I consider Reaper in the same class as Record.
I don't understand what that means. I can name feature after feature that Reaper has that Pro Tools still doesn't.

When you tell your users to move on you have to be careful what they move to.

Many of us want to give more money to Avid. It just has to make sense.
Old 08-20-2010, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dism View Post

Ain't no one who's flipped their studio just for Reaper. It's not gonna happen just yet.

Just because Reaper still works for PPC... it actually puts it in a pretty small field these days. Most other DAWs have moved on, as have most plugins. You wanna put Reaper on your G5... no one stopping you. But it's not like a 64-bit program is going to run as one on a G5, either. As I continue to say... PPC is obsolete. Not because Jobs says so, or any other company. It's simply archaic technology. HD still works on them because current HD architecture is also dated. Nothing new is going to be developed for PPC, and I wouldn't want it to. It's time to move forward.
Man, Lotta folks making lotsa $ with PPC. It is old, and being phased out... but it ain't obsolete, lol. One of those folks is Kenny Gioia, I believe.
But it does crack me up when you like to pick arguments with the likes of Bob Ohlsonn and Kenny Gioia. hmmm , both of those guys are HD owners, .. and you?? Get back on the porch ff
Old 08-20-2010, 10:22 AM

Quote:
So if I print a virtual instrument to an audio track it will by "default" sound different upon print?

And if I want to record Autotune in graphic mode to an extra track, I have to first bypass the source track to avoid double printing HEAT?

Here's an oldie but goodie work-around to print your plugs on the same track.
Haven't tried it with HEAT yet, but I'm sure it would work the same??

http://www.songphonic.com/ProToolsTutorials.htm
2. Pro Tools :: Printing and Freezing Audio Tracks