Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > Storage Subsystems

Old 03-24-2010, 04:36 PM

Default External Hard Drive contenders..... opinions??

I've recently installed Pro Tools M-Powered 8.0 on XP and now wish to get an external hard drive exclusively for the audio. As none of my music productions to date have hit close to number 1 or any number for that matter I have a crippling budget... I also have a minute if not retarding knowledge on the subject of hard drives. The more I research, the more lost I become. OK... so here are my requirements......

500GB - 1TB Capacity (I'm willing to settle for 500 if I know the drive is high quality)
7200Rpm - this is an absolute minimum
32 MB Cache - I guess I would settle for 16 if there a great price difference but rather wouldn't.
Firewire interface with at least 2 Firewire 400 or 800 ports
Silent running preferred
Advanced Heat dissapation preferred - in most cases this seems to be a metal casing of some sort (really don't want internal fans - I've heard they're a bunch of ****)
Size and weight - unimportant
Preferably an Oxford chipset 911/924/934 Chipset (as its protools qualified apparently)
Raid 0 (reading and writing over two disk drives - increasing read write speed) - preferable but still genuinely don't really know what it is.
Has to be under £200 or else I'd have to sell an organ or start pulling tricks.

So that's what I'd like.... and like a busy bee I went googling for hard drives, like a techno-fisherman fishing for specs and reviews.

I've put together what in my limited knowledge seems to be the contenders.... I list their manufacturer, approximate price, model name and my initial and unqualified opinions as well as a link to where I found the quoted price..... here we go.

MAKE: Western Digital

PRICE: £104

MODEL: Western Digital 1TB USB 2.0 MyBook Studio External Hard Drive with FireWire 800 -

Thoughts: cheap & quiet. Windows incompatable??? dunno.

http://www.google.co.uk/products/cat...wBA#ps-sellers

MAKE: LaCie

PRICE: £136

MODEL: 1TB LaCie d2 Quadra Hard Disk eSATA 3Gbits USB Firewire 400 & 800

Thoughts: good heat dissipation, good windows/mac compatibility but is it unreliable??? - that's what I've heard

http://www.amazon.co.uk/LaCie-Quadra...9449750&sr=1-5

MAKE: G-Technology

PRICE: £182

MODEL: G-Tech G-RAID 1TB Desktop External Hard Drive (4th generation)

Thoughts: Expensive, RAID 0 - Oxford 936 chipset (seems nice as its Pro tools approved)

http://www.jigsaw24.com/product-deta...4th-generation)

MAKE: Glyph

PRICE: £233

MODEL: Glyph 500GB GT-050Q Desktop External Hard Drive

Thoughts: Pro tools approved, Quad-interface (whatever that is?), Expensive for 500GB but seems like good quality.

http://www.jigsaw24.com/product-deta...nal-hard-drive

MAKE: OWC

PRICE: £160 (approx)

MODEL: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Classic 750 GB 7200rpm 32MB Cache

Thoughts: 110pounds (excluding shipping and customs), reliable, quiet, not cased in metal though (not good I think), but good specs for the price. Downside is I have order from the US - is there no store in Europe?

http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/firew...b/eliteclassic

MAKE: Roctstor

PRICE: £138

MODEL: Rocstor RocPro 850 Series 3.5" 500GB Desktop Hard Drive

Thoughts: Aluminium case for heat dissipation (nice), built in power supply (good also), quiet (apparently), Is it reliable? Never heard of it.

http://www.cancomuk.com/Brand/Rocstor/G222K2-01/Product/65949?____Rocstor-RocPro-850-Series-3-dot-5"-500GB-Desktop-Hard-Drive-(Silver)-eSATA-or-Firewire-800-or-USB2

MAKE: Iomega

PRICE: £141

MODEL: Iomega Ultramax 1TB Desktop External Hard Drive (Quad Interface)

Thoughts: Quad interface, good value for 1TB, don't know how reliable it is or how compatible it is with XP.

.................................................. ...................................

So those there the contenders as far as I could see. The problem is as far as reviews go I couldn't find anything conclusive.... I read so many horror stories about lacies or people saying that Glyphs are just bog standard drives dressed up nice... I dont really know whats under the bonnet. Sure I know the specs as far as the brochure will tell you on the manufacturers website, but they never tell you what you ARE actually buying. Why must I hunt the internet for this info? AHH -sorry. Excuse the frustration... this hard drive man hunt has emotionally drained me. What I don't know about these models is actually what drive is inside each and how good are they... what experience have people had with each model and if they could choose again, which one would they purchase instead?

So there you have it... I implore you, most technological bedroom wizards, reply with the all the glorious knowledge of the cyber world ... any feedback is good feedback, apart from the feedback that I seem to find on most tech forums, which is an initial misguided technical question from some newbie, followed quickly by a digression of insults from numerous token-online-bullies and then happily make up all over the space of the 14 informationless pages. So nice to see those conflicts finally get resolved anyway.
Old 03-25-2010, 03:22 AM

Default Re: External Hard Drive contenders..... opinions??

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Confusion View Post
MAKE: Glyph

Thoughts: Pro tools approved, Quad-interface (whatever that is?), Expensive for 500GB but seems like good quality.

Quad interface means it has 'e-SATA, USB 2, 1394A (FW 400) and 1394B (FW800)' connection possibilities.

Check out this article by Brad Lyons for somemore detail on drives. Very good reading.

http://www.theaudioprofessional.com/...ph_Drives.html

A:)
Old 03-25-2010, 04:11 AM

Excellent... how did I not find this page before? Cheers. Do you have any preference yourself?
Old 03-25-2010, 04:28 AM

Glyph for tracking at the mo and any drive in any caddy for storage and backup, but the future is looking like SSD (Solid State Drives).

Just waitin for the price to go down and the capacity to go up.

A:)
Old 03-25-2010, 07:18 AM

Yes those SSD drives look nice. I'll keep an eye on that. I was worried you were gonna say glyph... more expensive, but it looks like it might be justified. Gad damn justice!
Old 03-25-2010, 10:07 AM

I like the OWC Mercury drives(Elite or classic) with dual FW400 ports. Just an opinion

The better I drink...the more I mix.....

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 04-02-2010, 06:58 AM

Main:
Model: Dell Precision T1500 Minitower
CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-860 (2.8GHz,8MB)
Memory: 32GB (4 X 8GB)
SanDisk 480GB SSD
AVID: Digidesign Digi 003 Console
Pro Tools 2018.10

Portable:
Model: Acer Aspire E5-575
CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-6200U
Memory: 12GB
SanDisk 256GB SSD
AVID: Fast Track C400
Pro Tools 12.5.0
Old 04-02-2010, 07:59 AM

OWC, Pick one of the drives with a metal case and add your own drive. I would say these are the DUCS most popular external drive.

Glyph, WAY overpriced, and the fan makes them very noisy. I have a new GT50 tabletop and its so big and heavy and noisy I never use it. Most consider Glyph to be fairly reliable though. These use of the shelf HDDs and I can't find any rationale for the overinflated pricing

LaCie, A little overpriced, highly compatible, The Porsche series was junk and failed due to heat issues. The D2 series seems much better. My D2 fell 5 foot from a closet shelf to a hardwood floor and still works just fine. Given the past failures of some LaCies its hard to recommend them whole heartedly though. My experience however has been good.

I would recoment the DIY OWC route if your capable of running a screw driver.

Formerly Hobo Wan Kenobi

Core 2 Specs Page

ASUS P6T6 Revolution | i7 930 | 12GB OCZ DDR3 1600 7-7-7-20 | PTLE 10 | CPTK | 003 | Presonus D8 | 11Rack | Alesis AI3 | Presonus HP60 | Mercury + Studio Classics | Sound Toys | MasseyPack | Axiom61 | MAudio Keystation Pro 88
Old 04-15-2010, 05:23 AM

OK... so I bit the bullet and went for the GLYPH GT050Q-500GB. Screw the money! Sunburst79 - I know they're a bit noisey but that will work ok in my working environment. I really wanted to go OWC but with international shipping and customs to Germany the prices start to lose their attraction. In the end the whole process of shopping for these things drove me crazy. I know there may well be a better option out there, but I just have to dive in and start buying some and testing them. It certainly won't be the last hard drive I buy unfortunately. Thanks for all your info and if there's one thing I've learnt on this search is that if you search hard enough, you'll find a nasty review about every hard drive on the planet. Adios.
Old 04-15-2010, 05:29 AM

Congrats, James! I own many Glyph drives and I agree, the money isn't a factor when it comes to my studio and knowing it's just going to work. There are times I could go through a full Terabyte of data in one weekend, it must work---and that's why I choose Glyph (and wrote the article I wrote).
blyons@gcpro.com
www.theaudioprofessional.com