Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Digidesign Hardware & Software

Old 12-26-2000, 09:10 PM

Default usb input device that works w/ Sound Manager

Checked the archives. It seems that noone has found a usb or firewire audio input device that works with Sound Manager, and therefore PTFree. Does anyone know of something that will work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Ross
Old 12-28-2000, 10:00 AM

Default Re: usb input device that works w/ Sound Manager

Actually, your evaluation of the posts is not quite correct.

MANY USB Audio devices do, in fact, work with SoundManager. The Griffin iMic, for example. I believe the Roland U-30 does as well, but I haven't one for testing.

The issue is something about how DAE or PTFREE is using it. The obscure error code returned is complaining about an invalid object selector if I recall, and it sounds to me like Digidesign is using a custom codec in the soundmanager chain to grab the audio and feed it to their software in a format they can best deal with. Something in how they are setting up this chain is failing with USB Audio devices.

However, I have used them with many OTHER software packages which also use SoundManager and have had no problems.

One other program that gives this same error (-32766), which is a MacOS code from SoundManager, BTW, is MicNotePadLite. It also uses custom codecs to compress the incoming sound stream, so I believe that this is a similar type of error.

Not being privy to the insides of the source code for PTFree, DAE, or MicNotePadLite, I cannot say much more about it, and I could be barking up the wrong tree, but this is the logical conclusion I've come to after digging into it for a few days.

Old 12-28-2000, 06:17 PM

I'm using the Roland ED UA-30 with the OS 9.0.4 sound manager. I haven't been able to test it with PTFree because my VS-880 and MD player are with my band mate. I had to do a couple clean re-installs of OS 9.0.4 to get the UA-30 to work correctly, but after that it was fine. I'm hoping to use the UA to take digital audio from my VS into my iMac and use PTFree for it's reverse and what ever other things I can figure out with it. It's a different headframe for me going from knobs to monitor, but the free version is cool and has that reverse that my VS doesn't.
Old 03-24-2001, 03:37 PM

anyone tried the quattro from m-audio? Does it work with ptfree? It's a 4 in 4 out + midi usb audio solution for $349. Seems a little too good to be true.

http://midiman.com/m-audio/html/products/quattro.html