Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2006, 07:42 PM

Default Something better than Waves Renn Maxx?

Hey everyone. I don't really use PT as much anymore due to raising babies, etc. But I fire it up from time to time. I hate this WUP update thing and it rubs me the wrong way for some reason. I don't like having to cough all that money up on top of a program I already paid good money for. I understand paying for updates like OSX, etc, but still.. this bugs me.

I was wonder just for kicks, if there are any good solid bundles out there for a casual user like me? I like a nice compressor, and a decent verb. I have Vintage Warmer that I like to put on my master fader. And for EQ I use Filterbank. I only use waves for the compressor and the verb.

For some reason I have less problem coughing up $400 for a new pack, than to pay $350 on top of the money I already spent to buy RennMaxx. Dig?

That Izotope bundle looks really cool, but the coolest to me seems to be the DUY Everpack. Ane experience with that? The ONLY thing I'll miss about Waves is the compressor. And I'm not sure if Vintage Warmer can be a substitue for that or not. Oh, and the verb. But I can probl get by with D-Verb for as little as I use Verb.

Thanks!
j
OWC External FW HDD
http://www.soundclick.com/jasonsheroan
Old 07-25-2006, 11:20 PM

Default Re: Something better than Waves Renn Maxx?

You only need to pay the wup if you want the updates, the programme works just as well if you don't pay for the wup. I use waves gold, and I upgraded from Maxx, but I stayed with Maxx for a few years before I upgraded the prog just worked fine all that time.
Old 07-26-2006, 03:37 AM

Quote:
You only need to pay the wup if you want the updates, the programme works just as well if you don't pay for the wup. I use waves gold, and I upgraded from Maxx, but I stayed with Maxx for a few years before I upgraded the prog just worked fine all that time.
Yes, until your host & OS software takes another step forward and the old plugs won´t work
anymore. Then you enter FEE´s Hell domain.

I am toally with you jpoprock.

for a compressor bundle I´d really sugggest taking a look at McDsp Compressorbank LE.
This is a real bargain with bunch of really cool compressors!

For the reverb there are some TLSpace native plugs sold for cheap on ebay once in a while.
This is a top notch reverb.

Some people here like the reverb from Wavearts a lot.

I you want to go without paying anything and can live an Audiosuite convolution reverb
check out jk_irr from here:
http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.p...rt=&PHPSESSID=

if you like it please consider donating some money to him.

regs
Old 07-26-2006, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Some people here like the reverb from Wavearts a lot.
Yep, that is a great reverb; however, I'm not buying until the license can be placed to iLok.
Old 07-26-2006, 11:46 PM

Quote:
I was wonder if there are any good solid bundles out there for a casual user like me? I like a nice compressor, and a decent verb. I have Vintage Warmer that I like to put on my master fader. And for EQ I use Filterbank. I only use waves for the compressor and the verb.
If you already have Filterbank, then the logical step would be to add Compressorbank to your plugin list. It's one of the better compressor plugins out there and worth its price (which however is roughly the same as Waves RennMAXX bundle). Also, take a look at www.masseyplugins.com and see if that compressor suits you (there's a free demo for mono-only session recall disabled plug).

If you're serious about getting good reverb, then take a look at sonyplugins.com and the Oxford Reverb. It's a very beautiful reverb! Costs significantly more than the Wavearts reverb, but it's a lot better too. The sound of an Oxford plug is a lot bigger than the price, though.

Or you could try pspaudioware.com to release a RTAS version of their Easyverb reverb, which sounds really nice but is VST-only currently. They promised to release RTAS version back in 2004 when the plug was initially released, but so far no luck. It's sad, because the little thing has amazing Arena algorithm.

Also, take a look at ursplugins.com to see if you need other EQ than the Filterbank They have some great compressors too. I use everything they have released and the plugs are simply amazing.

That said... Waves RennMAXX is really worth its price even if you only used the RennComp and RennVerb from the package. They're awesome! Also, the Rennaissance De-Esser is very good, and the rest of the pack useful every now and then. Point being that if money is an issue, renewing WUP is your cheapest option. Yes, it sucks to pay WUP, but it would suck even more to lose Waves plugs altogehter.

You choose. If I had to stop using Waves, I'd make sure my Oxford Reverb and McDSP Compressorbank would continue working. I couldn't be satisfied mixing in the box if I didn't have either Waves' or Oxford's reverb -- or a TDM system with Eventide reverb
Old 07-27-2006, 01:06 PM

There is a TL Space iLok Transfer auction on Ebay right now. I wonder if those kinds of things are legit? Where you dl the software from the vendor, then they put the iLok code in yer iLok account? I have iLok, so that is an option if you trust it. These people have excellent feedback too. But I have no clue if it's "safe". Please let me know! Thanks guys!
OWC External FW HDD
http://www.soundclick.com/jasonsheroan
Old 07-27-2006, 03:12 PM

HI,

I bought several ilok licences from ebay and it´s safe enough.
ebay members like dutchmusic are selling for years now on ebay.
But as always look... twice before you buy... anything, anywhere.

and yes, this IS legit.

regs
Old 07-28-2006, 01:24 PM

Regarding the iLok license transfer over eBay...I've just recently bought from three different users on eBay and the iLok transfer has been seamless. One of those plugins being TL Space Native. The one on eBay right now (eBay ID:eyeball123) is from a studio in Regina, SK, Canada, and I know the owner personally and can vouch for his reputation. He runs a world class studio and has worked beside Mutt Lange in Switzerland. I too have purchased plugins from him and his prices are very reasonable. Dutchmuzik's and ejwells' auctions are always very reasonable as well...the eBay feedback system is there for a reason...

Hope that helps out a bit...

Cheers,
Jeff

Quote:
There is a TL Space iLok Transfer auction on Ebay right now. I wonder if those kinds of things are legit? Where you dl the software from the vendor, then they put the iLok code in yer iLok account? I have iLok, so that is an option if you trust it. These people have excellent feedback too. But I have no clue if it's "safe". Please let me know! Thanks guys!
Old 07-29-2006, 02:25 AM

The DUY Everpack is sweet. I love the Zroom verbs. The rest of it is great, as well.