Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 04-06-2007, 02:22 PM

Default sends inserts. what the f&)&)&k

Okay. I have done this on other programs but not on pro tools. I want to route the output of one track to an external device. I cant get the meters to move one the device, but cant get the singal back. I am using a patch bay and I am sure, i plug it into the right spot, I tried alot. Okay so this is what i did. send to output 3, then from output I ran it to my effects unit. The signal is picked up by the unit. But How do i get it back. I ran the output of the unit into input 5 on my digi rack. I even tried every other input on the thind. No signal. No if the track is armed or not.

Another thing How can I play along to a track I recording with out recording what I am play. I can listen to what is recorded but what I am playing is muted. Whats up. Little help.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:27 PM

Default Re: sends inserts. what the f&)&)&k

The "Getting Started Guide" was a big help to me when I got my system. Have you read it yet?

After you plug in your external system to one of the eight inputs of the 002 (I am guessing this is your system since you didn't say what you have) you then need to select that input on your track. You should then see and hear the return when you record-arm the track.

Page 685 of the 7.3 manual explains it well.
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 04-06-2007, 02:37 PM

I'm struggling to understand your problem, but I think I get it. Are you wanting the external device to be an insert on the channel or come up as a separate input in Pro Tools?

If you want it to be an insert, click on one of the track inserts (as you would to insert a plug-in) but select "i/o" at the bottom of the window. Pick the path you want (don't use Analog 1 or 2) - we'll say Analog 3. Pro Tools will now send the track from output 3 on the I/O which you will plug into the device. You will take the output of the device into Analog input 3 for the return. It will come up on the same track.

If you want it as a separate input from the track there are several ways to do it. Your best way would probably be a send on the channel. To bring it back in this way you'll create an aux track and set the input to whatever I/O input you choose.

To play along with a track you'll want to be in input monitoring mode. Option+K is what you need - keep in mind you'll have to have the track record enabled for it to work.
64GB RAM
HDX I/O 16x16 Analog
HDX I/O 8x8x8
Old 04-06-2007, 03:26 PM

I read the guide. Its basic knowlegde on the sends. I just do know why its not working. I have tried it everyway in the book.

Input monitoring mode. Cool thats it.
Old 04-06-2007, 03:34 PM

"Record Monitoring Modes

Pro Tools offers two modes of input monitoring:
Auto Input and Input Only. These monitoring
modes determine how input signals are moni-
tored during playback, record, or while the
transport is stopped.

Auto Input Monitoring

In Auto Input mode, when session playback is
stopped, Pro Tools monitors audio input. When
playback is started for a punch-in, Pro Tools
monitors existing track material up until the
punch point. While punched in, the input sig-
nal is monitored. On punch-out, monitoring
switches back to the existing track material. This
is similar to the auto-switching logic found on
digital and analog multitrack tape machines."

Page 261 of the 7.3 manual for more info.

As far as the send, if you are going to channels 1-4, do you have the mic/line switch in the correct position?

What Pro Tools system do you have?
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.