Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 09-20-2004, 09:49 AM

Default Inserts and sends in protools

I have recently set up a new studio and I am having trouble using the inserts and sends in protools, I have a audio track that I want to send to a vocal producer (sends to output 8) and then I have another track which receives (insert 8) in order to record the processed audio. I can send to the vocal producer just fine, and it responds to the audio, but the problem is when it comes back to the other track, when I try and insert 8 it gives me the error message (the h/w insert could not be made active becasue its output(s) is being used by another active output or insert), is there another way to do this sending and receiving of tracks...I have tried this with not only the vocal producer but also a compressor, so I know it has nothing to do with the external hardware.

anyone know how to work around the error, and what i am doing wrong?

Thanks
Old 09-20-2004, 10:50 AM

Default Re: Inserts and sends in protools

Quote:
I have recently set up a new studio and I am having trouble using the inserts and sends in protools, I have a audio track that I want to send to a vocal producer (sends to output 8) and then I have another track which receives (insert 8) in order to record the processed audio. I can send to the vocal producer just fine, and it responds to the audio, but the problem is when it comes back to the other track, when I try and insert 8 it gives me the error message (the h/w insert could not be made active becasue its output(s) is being used by another active output or insert), is there another way to do this sending and receiving of tracks...I have tried this with not only the vocal producer but also a compressor, so I know it has nothing to do with the external hardware.

anyone know how to work around the error, and what i am doing wrong?

Thanks
if your using an insert then the audio is being returned pre fader on the channel your inserting on.

There is no reason to use an audio track in this scenario of an insert.

just use a send to send to interface channel 8 if you need to record it or have it on another channel and create an aux or audio track and set it's input for interface channel 8.

if you use an insert for this as well as the send then that is your problem.
Old 09-20-2004, 11:44 AM

You're making a couple different errors.

First off, you are sending to the device in a reasonable way, via a bus. You might want to set the output of that track to feed output 8 instead, so you don't hear the unprocessed vocal too, but either way is fine I guess.

At this point, Output 8 is being used, and the signal is getting to the outboard effect.

Then you want to return the outboard effect to an audio track so you can record the sound of the processed audio. That's smart.

Your error is how you return the thing. You're trying to use an insert to bring the signal back. This is wrong for two seperate reasons.

1) Audio processing that happens on an insert IS heard in the mix, but is not recorded, The track only records audio that comes in from the input, not anything across an insert. If audio from an insert WAS recorded, you wouldn't be needing a second audio track anyway, right? You'd just use an insert on the first track and record.

2) And insert is a SET of OUTPUT and INPUT. In an insert situation, output 8 (for example) sends the audio out, and then input 8 (for example) is used to return the processed signal. Since you're already using output 8 from the aux send, it obviously can't be used for an insert, hence the error.

What you want to do, is to send the audio to the processor, I suggest using the OUTPUT of the first track right to output 8, and then return the processor's output into input 8. Set the INPUT of the second track to input 8, and there you have it - audio coming into the second track which is processed and recordable. You don't hear the dry unprocessed signal from the first track at the same time this way either.
Old 09-20-2004, 03:36 PM

What they said.

I'm amazed! When I send my tracks out to a vocal producer, I just use FedEx, or an FTP connection. I knew the internal bussing in Pro Tools was cool, but I never imagined that it was that extensive. Is David Foster in there? Too cool.

Couldn't resist...

Steve