Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2010, 02:33 PM

Default Re: DBX 120 Subharmonic V.S. RBass plugin

I just bought Lowender and tried it out. Sounds great. I slide it all the way over to output all low end, and no mix of the original. Then I put the rendered low end file on an adjacent track to the original sound file. That way you can always change the amount of low end you want in the mix. I also have a new dbx 120 in my rack, so I compared it's output to Lowender. Sounds very close to me. Lowender is certainly worth the small pricetag.

By the way, a brand new dbx 120 is only $200, balanced +4 and all, so there's little reason for anyone not to own one as well if you really want to. But check out Lowender. It's very good!
Old 11-01-2010, 05:03 PM

LOWENDER hands down. Closest thing to DBX 120 I've found.

MacPro 2x2.66 GHz Dual Core "WoodCrest"
Mac OSX 10.5.8 / 4 Gig Ram
ProTools 8.0.4
Digidesign/Magma PE6NE-I upgraded 6 slot expansion chassis. (Host card in Slot 2 of MacPro)
HD3 Accel
BlackMagic Decklink Studio 2 (In Slot 3 of MacPro)

SurCode / Dolby Media Meter 2
Izotope RX2 Advanced / Sonic NoNoise
Waves Platinum 7.x / Serato PitchnTime
Melodyne Studio / Altiverb XL / Speakerphone
KOMPLETE 7
EQuality / Massey L2007
TC MasterX
Old 11-02-2010, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leigh Marble View Post
To clarify our pricing for the Lowender: $49 was not a special.
Come on! Lowender at $49 sure was a special. If that wasn't a special, I don't know what else can be. Brand new RTAS plug-in available at special price during only a couple of days, that's was the case. I don't really care if it was earlier available in some other format as I don't use them. As a RTAS plug-in, it was a new one. And after a few days price was raised over 40 percents. I'm fine with introduction offers, I like them, but usually they last two weeks, one month or so so that people have time to react. Not a couple of days.

I agree that also the raised price is not that high anyway. I just don't like "48 hour introduction offers". Those cause more annoyance than pleasure.
Old 11-02-2010, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad jitter View Post
Come on! Lowender at $49 sure was a special. If that wasn't a special, I don't know what else can be. Brand new RTAS plug-in available at special price during only a couple of days, that's was the case. I don't really care if it was earlier available in some other format as I don't use them. As a RTAS plug-in, it was a new one. And after a few days price was raised over 40 percents. I'm fine with introduction offers, I like them, but usually they last two weeks, one month or so so that people have time to react. Not a couple of days.

I agree that also the raised price is not that high anyway. I just don't like "48 hour introduction offers". Those cause more annoyance than pleasure.
OK, I guess whether or not it was a "special" comes down to semantics.

We introduced the new version of Lowender, and rather than raising the price right away, we waited one week (not 2 days as you repeatedly suggest) to raise the price.

Those are the facts. I can see why you would call a time-limited price a "special", but it's not like this was a price reduction offer... we just delayed a price increase that was coming sooner or later, so that folks who had been watching and waiting for RTAS native got a shot at the same pricing we had been offering all along.

I hope that clears that issue up, and that it does not bear further debate.

Quote:
I would buy Lowender if they bring the $49 special back.
OK, tell you what. If the one week window did not give you time to react to our offer, I will extend it, for you. Just email me at [email protected] and let me know what email you'll be paying from, place your order, and I'll refund you the $20 difference.

I'm serious, as I would much rather have the discussion here be about what you think of the plug-in, rather than debate whether our pricing scheme was lame.

Cool?

cheers,
Leigh
reFuse Software
Old 11-02-2010, 11:35 PM

Okay I have and live with all three (RBass, Lo Air and Lowender). I generally used it as follow:

- RBass - used to fatten musical tracks. It's nice, smooth and subtle.

- Lo Air or Lowender: I used it for the rest of SFX that need to get big+heavy sounding treatment. I never be able to make it work with musical tracks except kick drum, but then again its still too much.

In comparing the LoAir vs Lowender, I found it as follow:

1. It's easier (smoother) to dial/tune the freq in the LoAir (the Lowender slider is a bit rough), but the bottom octave (the oomph FX) is better in Lowender.

2. Nice thing in LoAir is the "Align" button features. Whereas in Lowender, I always need to render the track first, then realign (nudge earlier) the resulting track slightly. Because, if not--it will always sound like a bit out of sync/tempo.

Then again its great to have them all.

PS: I've never get a good result with MaxBass though.

Mac Studio Max M2 (2023), 32GB RAM, Ventura 13.6.4, PT Ultimate 2023.12.1, Sonnet TB2 III-D, Avid HDX 2, Sync X, MTRX Studio, Trinnov D-Mon, JBL 708P, 705P & JBL 3635 (Atmos HE 7.1.4)
Old 11-03-2010, 10:05 AM

Quote:

Leigh had the special 2 or so years ago when he introduced it, it was like $29 for a couple of months.

I bought late into it for $49, while it was Pluggo, he just gave existing owners, a FREE upgrade to RTAS, and allowed new users the opportunity to purchase it at $49 for a limited amount of time.

There was fair warning on his site, that it would go to $69.

$69 is NOT MUCH to support an independent plugin programmer, especially one that truly emulates the hardware.

No one complains about paying Steve Massey $69, $79, and $89 for his fine work.

I always get better service at a mom and pop store than Walmart, (read Wavesmart).

I used it on a few DVD menus to recreate the LFe used in those features, knowing the mixers used a DBX120, the results were astonishing!!!

Leigh, I was willing to actually pay an upgrade price.

Thank you for your service.

Old 11-03-2010, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVPostSound View Post
Leigh had the special 2 or so years ago when he introduced it, it was like $29 for a couple of months.

I bought late into it for $49, while it was Pluggo, he just gave existing owners, a FREE upgrade to RTAS, and allowed new users the opportunity to purchase it at $49 for a limited amount of time.

There was fair warning on his site, that it would go to $69.

$69 is NOT MUCH to support an independent plugin programmer, especially one that truly emulates the hardware.

No one complains about paying Steve Massey $69, $79, and $89 for his fine work.

I always get better service at a mom and pop store than Walmart, (read Wavesmart).

I used it on a few DVD menus to recreate the LFe used in those features, knowing the mixers used a DBX120, the results were astonishing!!!

Leigh, I was willing to actually pay an upgrade price.

Thank you for your service.

EXACTLY!

This plug was an incredible bargain when it first came out. I liked PLUGGO for all the wacky shuffling granular synthesis plugs, so I got it a while back and got LOWENDER when it first came out.
This plug was a bargain when it was $49.

It was a STEAL when we could go from Pluggo to RTAS FOR FREE.

And now, $69? $69 is too much to pay? I think grousing about 69 bucks is just ridiculous. Consider the amount of time that goes into initial R&D and then coding for platform? This is a LOT of time. I say support developers like this who make great plugs for very very little money.

As to the sound, there is no other plugin that does this. I have both a DBX 120 and this. They do sound different. Would a client notice? Probably not. But we are paid to notice. I like the 120 better (it sounds more natural to me). But I am not unhappy with LOWENDER.
Undertone on Facebook
Undertone Custom Sound Libraries

"Groupable markers would be epochal!"
-Starcrash
Old 11-03-2010, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minister View Post
EXACTLY!

And now, $69? $69 is too much to pay? I think grousing about 69 bucks is just ridiculous. Consider the amount of time that goes into initial R&D and then coding for platform? This is a LOT of time. I say support developers like this who make great plugs for very very little money.

As to the sound, there is no other plugin that does this. I have both a DBX 120 and this. They do sound different. Would a client notice? Probably not. But we are paid to notice. I like the 120 better (it sounds more natural to me). But I am not unhappy with LOWENDER.
Absolutely correct. It takes a lot of tedious work to code this stuff and to get it to work with all of the different OS and software versions. $69 is a bargain and a half for something that works well and sounds good. Personally I find the new RTAS version to be a lot more stable and I may be wrong, but it seems to sound better. Use it all the time for making boom.

MacPro 2x2.66 GHz Dual Core "WoodCrest"
Mac OSX 10.5.8 / 4 Gig Ram
ProTools 8.0.4
Digidesign/Magma PE6NE-I upgraded 6 slot expansion chassis. (Host card in Slot 2 of MacPro)
HD3 Accel
BlackMagic Decklink Studio 2 (In Slot 3 of MacPro)

SurCode / Dolby Media Meter 2
Izotope RX2 Advanced / Sonic NoNoise
Waves Platinum 7.x / Serato PitchnTime
Melodyne Studio / Altiverb XL / Speakerphone
KOMPLETE 7
EQuality / Massey L2007
TC MasterX