Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Eleven Rack
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2013, 04:41 AM

Default Re: Eleven & Logic X

I've gotten logic x to work with my 11R connected to my 003 through s/pdif. I can get both wet and dry tracks down in logic. What I have not been able to do is reamp the dry signal back through eleven. I get some kind of squeeling feedback. Have to figure that one out. Same configuration works fine in PT. Oh, and the only way to get it to work with logic is to start the core audio manager first and then launch logic. Otherwise it gives me a "audio device was removed" message.

Drummer kicks ass. I actually prefer the sampled sounds to superior drummer. Sounds more natural to me. I wish I could use those sounds in PT.
Old 02-12-2017, 07:52 AM

Sorry to bump an old thread:

I'm struggling to use 11r as an interface. While it's easily recognized by logic, l can't get a wet signal out of my 11r. It come in dry to from the 11r to logic, then logic uses its less desireable tones to color my sound - not what I'm looking for unfortunately.

Last edited by theycallmegio; 02-12-2017 at 08:11 AM.
Old 02-12-2017, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theycallmegio View Post
Sorry to bump an old thread:

I'm struggling to use 11r as an interface. While it's easily recognized by logic, l can't get a wet signal out of my 11r. It come in dry to from the 11r to logic, then logic uses its less desireable tones to color my sound - not what I'm looking for unfortunately.
What do you want us to do for you? There is nothing here that you provide that is of any help to folks here who might want to help you.

This thread contains instructions (very second post by me... if you do all the steps there this should work) on how to use the Eleven Rack with Logic X. Are you following those instructions? Not understanding something? Describe exactly what you are doing, what inputs and outputs etc you are using. Provide screen shots your preferences and track IO usage in Logic X.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 02-12-2017 at 09:47 PM.
Old 02-12-2017, 11:12 PM

Please excuse my post, and ignorance. This is all very foreign to me. I very much appreciate you taking the time to justify the post with an answer, despite its lack of information.

I wish to utilize logic to record my guitar through my 11r. I am using the 11r as my interface, and I wish to use the tones and effects the 11r comes with as opposed to logic's built in guitar sounds.

Here are my audio preferences

http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/...pss3jct4md.png

when I select 11r as my output device I get no sound out of my monitors, this set up allows me to hear myself play.

here are my selections for a new track. These options allow me to record my guitar into logic, but the signal is 100% clean/dry - this is not using my 11r's tones or effects.

http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/...ps2jppaec9.png

I have been thumbing through the 11r's user manual in search of the input/output information, I find it but I can't seem to find how to set a specific input to use the 'rig', I take it this is what I am looking for?

If I left anything out or wasn't clear please let me know. I very much appreciate the help.
Old 02-13-2017, 08:10 PM

OK now we are making progress, I see one problem.

We are talking electric guitar? what pickups?

You have the Eleven Rack working stand-alone OK without Logic Pro?

Your second screen shot shows Input 1 to that track your are creating. That is not what you need to do

Input 1 is the "Guitar In", i.e. the raw input you stuff into the Guitar In 1/4" input on the Eleven Rack front panel. That track will record the dry guitar signal.

Input 3/4 are the stereo pair that is the output of the Eleven Rack rig. It's the input you want to you wet guitar track and to start with at least you can record that to a stereo audio track. But you are usually better off recording instruments in mono. Yes Rig Out is an input--think about it. You also likely need to enable input monitoring on that track and record arm the track and hit record on the transport to actually record stuff.

Output 1/2 is the Main Out L/R so that is correct.

Now how do you know what Input 3/4 are and you are supposed to use 3 or the 3/4 pair to record the Wet guitar? Well you needed to do the exact exercise I posted in the second post of this thread looking at the IO names in Audio/Midi setup, that will tell you exactly what number inputs are what... even if Logic Pro just uselessly refers to them only by their numbers.

You also do *not* want to pick a guitar/bass track in Logic Pro, that will insert an Logic Pro Amp Sim plugin on the track... what you want is just a plain audio track (Click on the microphone icon thingy... or give up and use the non-beginner interface, its lots less annoying) as you are recording an already wet guitar signal from the Rig Output. .

Actually what you likely want to do, and should do after getting basic one wet track working. Is to record one mono dry track from input 1, and one mono wet track from input 3 or a stereo wet track from input 3/4. And then learn how to reamp your dry signal thought the Eleven Rack or though Logic Pro , or third party, guitar amp plugins.

If you have never recorded anything before you will likely remain having problems until you find a tutorial about basic recording with Logic Pro X. It may be best to start with a microphone and vocals.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
OK now we are making progress, I see one problem.

We are talking electric guitar? what pickups?

You have the Eleven Rack working stand-alone OK without Logic Pro?

Your second screen shot shows Input 1 to that track your are creating. That is not what you need to do

Input 1 is the "Guitar In", i.e. the raw input you stuff into the Guitar In 1/4" input on the Eleven Rack front panel. That track will record the dry guitar signal.

Input 3/4 are the stereo pair that is the output of the Eleven Rack rig. It's the input you want to you wet guitar track and to start with at least you can record that to a stereo audio track. But you are usually better off recording instruments in mono. Yes Rig Out is an input--think about it. You also likely need to enable input monitoring on that track and record arm the track and hit record on the transport to actually record stuff.

Output 1/2 is the Main Out L/R so that is correct.

Now how do you know what Input 3/4 are and you are supposed to use 3 or the 3/4 pair to record the Wet guitar? Well you needed to do the exact exercise I posted in the second post of this thread looking at the IO names in Audio/Midi setup, that will tell you exactly what number inputs are what... even if Logic Pro just uselessly refers to them only by their numbers.

You also do *not* want to pick a guitar/bass track in Logic Pro, that will insert an Logic Pro Amp Sim plugin on the track... what you want is just a plain audio track (Click on the microphone icon thingy... or give up and use the non-beginner interface, its lots less annoying) as you are recording an already wet guitar signal from the Rig Output. .

Actually what you likely want to do, and should do after getting basic one wet track working. Is to record one mono dry track from input 1, and one mono wet track from input 3 or a stereo wet track from input 3/4. And then learn how to reamp your dry signal thought the Eleven Rack or though Logic Pro , or third party, guitar amp plugins.

If you have never recorded anything before you will likely remain having problems until you find a tutorial about basic recording with Logic Pro X. It may be best to start with a microphone and vocals.
Daryl I can't thank you enough. Frankly, I didn't know what I didn't know (still don't for the most part). So very grateful for your patience and help!

to answer some questions:

I am recording electric guitar with hum buckers. The 11rack works just fine as a stand alone digital amp.

I took your advice and selected the microphone icon when creating a new track and I selected input 3 - VIOLA! this worked and logic started recording my wet sound from the 11r. I couldn't help but laugh with joy when I heard the wet sound!

As for checking the I/O names in the audio/midi set up - I am not following this. Could you point me in the right direction? Just don't know where to look for this. Once I figure this out I'd love to figure out the whole reamping thing.

I have logic for dummies on the way from amazon and will be deep diving some of the tutorials posted in the sticky above this weekend hopefully.
Old 02-13-2017, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theycallmegio View Post
As for checking the I/O names in the audio/midi set up - I am not following this. Could you point me in the right direction? Just don't know where to look for this. Once I figure this out I'd love to figure out the whole reamping thing.
Run the Audio MIDI Setup utility on you Mac. Open the Audio Device Window (Window>Show Audio Devices). Click on the Eleven Rack icon in the left hand panel. Now on the Right hand panel you will see text names for all the inputs and (once you click the output button) outputs. Just get used to doing this for devices that have IO port names you want to use in applications that don't show them. You are not doing anything else in Audio MIDI setup except looking up the sequence that the IO ports are in and what they do. I want you to know to do that, not have to ask others for what IO port numbers do what.

If you have never used Audio MIDI Setup before, its an app included in your Mac's Applications/Utilities folder. If you are working with audio you will likely want to keep Audio MIDI Setup handy, maybe dragged into the OS X Dock. You can also Google more information on it.
Old 02-14-2017, 12:09 AM

I will look into that, now I'm having trouble recreating what I just did to record wet sound. I can't get dry sound through input 1 anymore either.

right now my settings are still input 3 and outputs 1 and 2

now when I record there is a solid red bar, as opposed to showing the sound waves like before. Any ideas where I'm going wrong? I'm about to upload a pic of the face of the 11r in case I hit something by accident. I'm at a loss here

https://ibb.co/inTHtv

https://ibb.co/itxz6F

the 11r is still working as a standalone device, but now logic doesn't seem to be getting anything from the unit

Last edited by theycallmegio; 02-14-2017 at 08:27 AM.
Old 02-14-2017, 12:21 AM

here are my steps taken
https://ibb.co/dkEXtv
https://ibb.co/gTEAfa
https://ibb.co/evSVfa
Old 02-14-2017, 08:37 AM

last post for now

https://ibb.co/iDxhRF

the volumes are all at 0, could this by why logic isn't getting anything from the 11r? It doesn't seem to let me pull those markers over to the right. I feel like it must be something on the unit itself, or something I did with the computer but I can no longer get just the dry signal to record anymore (like I originally could)