Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-18-2008, 11:10 AM

Default is pro tools for windows a bad joke?

it's so mac, beat detective, even on a windows hd system, says "press command+esc to cancel" when smoothing edits.

hahahaha

why is pro tools so clunky on a windows system, digi? there's no excuse. if i edit a session in windows, once i have a lot of edits and fades the system becomes really slow and saves and loads take forever on a quad core but open fast as lightning (by comparison) on a mac, even my old G4!

what gives?

i know i keep harping on about this but you gotta admit, it's fu**in* ridiculous!
Old 05-18-2008, 11:26 AM

Default Re: is pro tools for windows a bad joke?

Quote:
...once i have a lot of edits and fades the system becomes really slow...
There's something wrong with your rig. Do ALL the "General Troubleshooting" steps in the above "stickie", including posting your system specs.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 05-18-2008, 12:09 PM

Yeah, have to agree somthing must be wrong with your particular system.

I work daily on both windows and mac systems some LE and some HD and there are a few unsolved issues some are either a PC or a MAC issue and some happen on both. but if a system is configured properly it will work on a PC as well as if not better than on a Mac.

Some Mac type errors I encounter often would be gray screens with the messgae "you need to turn of the computer now" in three languages. Then there is the PT disappears with the message 'unexpected error has occured' with submit report dialog. Somtimes its loss of machine control, or movie goes offline and you need to close and reopen the session. sometimes its buffer errors sometimes loss of FW comunication with 003, and how can I forget the all so common delete preferances and databases so you can get PT going.

On my own PC system I do tracking mixing and post work. Yeah I had to be more hands on at the begining when setting it up, choosing parts and so on. Yet it cost about a third of a mac with similar specs and i'm very happy with it. So are my clients that get to use a Neumann mic I got for the diffrence in price.

Would you rather have a Mac pro or a Quad PC and a Neumann Microphone ?
Old 05-20-2008, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Yeah, have to agree somthing must be wrong with your particular system.

I work daily on both windows and mac systems some LE and some HD and there are a few unsolved issues some are either a PC or a MAC issue and some happen on both. but if a system is configured properly it will work on a PC as well as if not better than on a Mac.
i don't need to troubleshoot, i'm just having a whinge. but you're saying that something was wrong with my PC LE rig (Athlon XP) running 5.3-6.3 and something was wrong with my Athlon 64 rig running 6.7-7.1 and something is wrong with my Q6600 rig running 7.3-7.4 and something is wrong with my macbook pro under windows running 7.3-7.4? because they've all displayed the same behavior, something tells me it ain't system specific. oddly enough, i only noticed this once we made the switch to XP. 5.1 under win 98se was fine and i used it a lot as it was more powerful than my power book at the time and i didn't have a mix system back then.

that said, i don't have to use windows for pro tools, just sometimes when i'm forced to work at home and my HD system is out on hire and the laptop is on someone elses lap i wind up on the windows system and it can become extremely frustrating. i guarantee that beat detective causes a massive memory leak and session with extremely high edit density take an unusually long time to open. but yes, there are some issues on both platforms and i have found that the majority of mac problems are caused by third party or out-of-date software, particuarly the black restart screen. i have, however, found no solution to this issue. i assume it's faulty code, just like the prefs/databases issue on the mac.

and as for working better than on a mac, my macbook pro will give me 27 more dverbs under OS 10.4.11 than it will under windows xp sp3 not to mention the issues noted above but i have to agree that under normal operating circumstances (i.e. recording, a few edits here and there, mixing), PTLE for windows is just fine and if you can't afford an HD system, why would you bother with a mac? but as soon as you start to get a bit more agressive with it, it just looses it's lunch and that's what causes this frustration.

i guess the easy solution would be to buy a second mac pro for these le moments but hey, i'm a tight arse sometimes and i like certain aspects of windows. i just wish they'd get it really right... on both sides of the fence...
Old 05-20-2008, 07:24 AM

yeah dude...go look @ som of my vids onyoutube ...dude I usually have 60+ tracks, (there's a trick to that), major plugs on each (SSL,API,NEVE,MCDSP,TAPEHEAD,TL SPACE, VIRTUAL INSTRUMENTS & THEN RUNNIN REASON4...PROBABLY EVEN LEFT SOM PLUGS OFF....MY CPU DOESN'T GO PASS 60% WITH ALL THAT...LE on a PC...No problems here so what does PC or a Mac hav to do w/it...NUTHIN...Its ur rig...

'IS TAMARA HOME'
NO, SHE'S WITH
HOBO KEY
'' (that dopey green thing)

('we' must start using pronouns)
Old 05-20-2008, 07:55 AM
Avid

Quote:

i don't need to troubleshoot, i'm just having a whinge. but you're saying that something was wrong with my PC LE rig (Athlon XP) running 5.3-6.3 and something was wrong with my Athlon 64 rig running 6.7-7.1 and something is wrong with my Q6600 rig running 7.3-7.4 and something is wrong with my macbook pro under windows running 7.3-7.4? because they've all displayed the same behavior, something tells me it ain't system specific. oddly enough, i only noticed this once we made the switch to XP. 5.1 under win 98se was fine and i used it a lot as it was more powerful than my power book at the time and i didn't have a mix system back then.

that said, i don't have to use windows for pro tools, just sometimes when i'm forced to work at home and my HD system is out on hire and the laptop is on someone elses lap i wind up on the windows system and it can become extremely frustrating. i guarantee that beat detective causes a massive memory leak and session with extremely high edit density take an unusually long time to open. but yes, there are some issues on both platforms and i have found that the majority of mac problems are caused by third party or out-of-date software, particuarly the black restart screen. i have, however, found no solution to this issue. i assume it's faulty code, just like the prefs/databases issue on the mac.

and as for working better than on a mac, my macbook pro will give me 27 more dverbs under OS 10.4.11 than it will under windows xp sp3 not to mention the issues noted above but i have to agree that under normal operating circumstances (i.e. recording, a few edits here and there, mixing), PTLE for windows is just fine and if you can't afford an HD system, why would you bother with a mac? but as soon as you start to get a bit more agressive with it, it just looses it's lunch and that's what causes this frustration.

i guess the easy solution would be to buy a second mac pro for these le moments but hey, i'm a tight arse sometimes and i like certain aspects of windows. i just wish they'd get it really right... on both sides of the fence...
What happened between the time you made this post on 1/31/08 and now?

Quote:
Some folk with working systems "hang out" here when they have time attempting to help whiny little scamps like you get your system up and running.

Here's a complete list of all my LE and TDM systems, past and present, which ran perfectly with nothing but the basic settings as outlined in the various versions' getting started guides:

Digi 001 on G4 500MHz running OS 9 (might've been 8.6. can't remember)/PTLE 5.0
Digi 001 on PIII 1GHZ running Win 98SE/PTLE 5.1
Digi 001 on Athlon XP2000 Win XP/PTLE 5.3-6.1. This system was upgraded to a 002R PTLE 6.4
Digi 002R on Athlon 64 3000+ Win XP/PTLE 6.4-7.4
mbox on Powerbook 1GHz OS9/X PTLE 5.1-7.3
mbox on MacBook Pro OS X 10.4.8 PTLE 7.3
Mix Plus on Quicksilver G4 1GHz OS 9 PT 5.1
Pro Tools HD3 on G5 dual 2.5GHz OS X 10.4.8 PT 7.3.1

All the PC systems listed above have been built to Digidesign recommendations and not one of them cost over AU$900. I simply built them, installed the OS, installed drivers, installed Pro Tools and guess what? They work. No hoops, no outrageous costs, rings of fire or pacts with the devil.

And before you tell me to close my browser and load up The Tools, I'll tell you that I produced, recorded and mixed 8 albums back to back last year leaving me a sum total of 22 days on which I didn't work throughout the entire of 2007. Hence I'm taking four months out and during this period, I occasionally like to f*%& around on the internet. That alright by you?
What changed between when they were working then and now? Any new hardware or software?

If you can post a Sandra report and tell us which troubleshooting you've done, we can take a closer look at what may be going wrong.