Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-2006, 07:09 AM

Default Wavefile slicing

Hello,

I have a single stereo wavefile that contains multiple songs that I would like to divide up and save each song as a separate session. How can I accomplish this?

My second question is, suppose I have added additional tracks to the songs mentioned above, and want to then save the completed song as a separate session; how can I do it so that the tracks will still be in sync when I recall the session?

Thank You
Old 12-31-2006, 09:21 AM

Default Re: Wavefile slicing

This is what I would do. I would save a copy of the session that contains the long file with a different name for every song you want to save. Then I would just cut out whatever part of the file I didn't need for each of those sessions saved.
Old 12-31-2006, 03:46 PM

What's up mix , God bless ya man. You know, I have tried your suggestion in the past and it works fine, but I'm just concered this time about all the hard drive space this particular file will take up if I copy it seven or eight times. What I'm wondering is if it's possible to divide the wave up in a permanant (destructive) way to save space.
Old 12-31-2006, 11:18 PM

Each region refers to the same audio file, the regions are only visual representations of the audio being played, but they'll still come from the same source file.

You can have multiple sessions in the same session folder, so that they can share the same audio folder, that way each region in each session is pulling from only the ONE file.

Create several copies of the session IN THE SAME SESSION FOLDER, and name them in sequence referring to the songs. Then open each one and select the length of the song that you want to keep for that particular session and trim the ends off. (crtl+T) save.

Do that for each one, save them, and abra cadabra, you have X amount of sessions with different regions streaming from the same file.

Hope that helps, I haven't been on pro tools for a while, been fixing my computer.