Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-2006, 06:01 PM

Default I think the problem is the firewire pci card...?

I just bought a new desktop (Dell E510 2.8ghz dual core, 1gb, 80gb hd), installed PTLE 7.0, and hooked up my firewire drive (Acomdata 320gb, firewire400) that I had previously been using with my laptop for audio with a 002r. I know the hard drive works with PTLE because I had been using it without problems connected to a PCMCIA on my laptop. The firewire drive is currently hooked up to a Belkin PCI firewire card that I ordered from Dell with the computer. When I playback from the external hard drive I will get error -6088. However, if I record to the system drive everything runs smoothly. Another anomaly that could be connected to the problem is that the hard drive didn't come with any drivers. It doesn't need any apparently (according to the manual). I don't recall having any problem with installation on my old laptop, but when I go through the install hardware wizard on my new desktop, Windows really wants me to put a disc with drivers into the disc drive. Any insight would be much appreciated.
Old 08-13-2006, 06:17 PM

Default Re: I think the problem is the firewire pci card..

In regards to the OS asking for drivers...is the same OS installed on this desktop as was installed on your laptop? Perhaps you need to update the OS on your new desktop to support peripherals like your laptop did...

Are you running both the drive and the 002r off of the same firewire card? If so, are you running them daisy chained, or are you using different ports on the card? Have you checked to see if you have any IRQ conflicts, particularly with the firewire card and any other device?

You could try putting the firewire card into a different PCI slot and see if it solves the problem...

Hope this helps!
Old 08-13-2006, 07:10 PM

I tried putting the PCI card in the only other slot (where the modem used to be) but the problem is still occuring. I'm running Windows XP both on my old laptop and on the new desktop (although on the desktop I have service pack 2 while on the old laptop I was using SP1). The 002r and hard drive are plugged into the same PCI card but are plugged into separate ports. I would call myself a computer semi-novice and don't know what an IRQ conflict is. I don't have any other devices plugged in besides the 002r, the hard drive, the mouse, and keyboard. Some more information though: Windows is calling the external hard drive "DMI HID" and when I look under device manager it shows "DMI HID" under a heading of "other devices" and both this heading and "DMI HID" have big yellow question marks to the left of them. Maybe it is a problem with the hard drive installation/drivers after all.
Old 08-13-2006, 08:11 PM

Yes, that means that you have a conflict, or the devices are simply lacking drivers. I would install the latest drivers of any and all devices that have yellow question marks next to them.

As far as IRQs go...go to START->ACCESSORIES->SYSTEM TOOLS->SYSTEM INFORMATION (or something like that.) Then click on "IRQs" and see if any devices are sharing the same IRQ number. If they are, and one of the devices is not necessary, disable it in the BIOS or in Device Manager (As per the compatibility instructions, I would disable any and all devices that are not essential to recording, including any ethernet devices or modems.) Sometimes it's okay for some things to share IRQs in DAWs (like USB ports and controllers.) The usual problem devices for shared IRQs are video cards and the firewire bus. If the device is a PCI device, moving it to another slot can result in it being assigned a different IRQ, and possibly resolving the conflict.

Hope that was all clear, let us know how things progress!
Old 08-14-2006, 08:43 AM

That firewire card is probably not supported. Check the compatibilty documents for supported firewire cards AND to see if your new computer is compatible too.

Cheers,
SonoBus
Source-Connect: brucehayward
Options for Remote Direction
Old 09-07-2006, 10:15 PM

I got the SIIG firewire card digi lists as compatible. After installing it I haven't had any further problems.