Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-24-2006, 08:16 PM

Default LE Quality compared to HD/TDM Quality

I realize the benefits of HD when tracking outboard instruments and vocalists but when using 100% software plugin instruments and effects can anyone tell if a track is rendered in HD vs. LE? Assuming the same exact plugins are used on both systems.
Old 04-24-2006, 09:26 PM

Default Re: LE Quality compared to HD/TDM Quality

No, not really. Since the audio quality (usually) is better when using TDM systems, the plug-ins will just naturally sound better applied to higher quality audio.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:45 PM

I don't know that the audio file itself would be better in TDM than in LE, but the mixer in TDM is of a higher resolution so, technically, a TDM mix has the potential to sound better. I've done a test where I mixed a bunch of audio tracks via a TDM mixer, then imported the same tracks to LE (without any plugins or level adjustments) and the TDM output was indeed a little better. Wider, deeper, more defined. It wasn't drastic, but noticeable.

And for the record, I don't believe there's a difference between the TDM and LE plugins themselves. Someone else feel free to chime in, but it's my understanding that the audio processing code itself is typically the same.
Old 04-25-2006, 06:38 AM

Delay compensation!!!!!!!!

Your phase across the board will be smeared by plugin-induced latency. TDM systems compensate for this and allow you to run your entire session without killing the horsepower on your host computer.
Old 04-25-2006, 06:40 AM

Hi,

You can always improve the outputquality of a LE System with a pro wordclock and D/A
drastically and still have only 30% of the expense of HD system.

so MIXBus issues are TDM with 48Bit fixed vs LE with 32bit float.

both have their pros and cons. There was a pretty extensive thread in the TDM forum once
and various other threads concerning the issue but I can´t find them at the moment.

and as always: the most important link in the chain is the engineer, not the tools.

regs