Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-2004, 10:33 AM

Default Re: ICON D ? Is this the new controller?

For $60k, you can get an SSL. Where would you rather mix? A studio with PT HD and an ICON or one with PT HD and an SSL? The answer is obvious.

$60k for something that doesn't impart any specialness to the sound of your recordings. Is P.T. Barnum the CEO of Digidesign? What is the recording industry coming to?
Old 03-24-2004, 11:15 AM

Quote:
$60k for something that doesn't impart any specialness to the sound of your recordings.
I'd have a hard time justifying that, but other people march to different drummers.

I'd also be quite amazed if the configuration pictured on Digidesign's home page was $60k. $60k is probably the starter model. You could get close to $60k with an expansion chassis filled with Accel cards plus a number of 192's, computer, drives, plug-ins, etc. with NO control surface. I'd bet that larger configurations will be well into six figures before all is said and done. Ironically, in this day and age, a talented producer/engineer might be able to sonically top mixes made on this device using equipment that you could buy for what it would cost to ship this monster.

Lee Blaske
Old 03-24-2004, 12:32 PM

So in other words Icon D is just a huge mouse and keyboard? It has no analog or even sepearte digital audio routing other than pro tools 192s? That's a lot of money for a mouse. i guess visually it's got that WOW factor but where's the beef? It's a lot cheaper than an Oxford but the smaller Sonys and Yamahas impart some of their sound, add some dsp power and cost a fraction of this.
Old 03-24-2004, 12:46 PM

Yep, One big expensive mouse/keyboard........... I guess Digidesign created this console for those non-project rooms who host Christina Aguilera or Elton John.

Is anyone selling or know of someone selling there old dust collecting SSL 4000/6000 or V3/36 or VR/36 because I'm looking for one and please don't give me broker prices.

Digi,

How about a small control unit similiar to the Euphonix? Why can't the people who purchased your HD system have a small controller like the 002? Why not?
Old 03-24-2004, 12:54 PM

Quote:

Digi,

How about a small control unit similiar to the Euphonix? Why can't the people who purchased your HD system have a small controller like the 002? Why not?
I've been asking myself that question for quite awhile.
Old 03-24-2004, 01:17 PM

Quote:
So in other words Icon D is just a huge mouse and keyboard? It has no analog or even sepearte digital audio routing other than pro tools 192s?
From the photo it looks as if the D-control has quite an extensive monitor section, so it clearly has some extra analog and digital routing circuitry over a 192.

If the ICON is an all in one system with a CPU, DSP, interfaces and D-control then I can see exactly what Digi is doing. They are going after the same market as the high end consoles. If you have a system problem, you just call Digi because they supplied the entire system. There is no finger pointing at Apple or whoever built your CPU. For those that have the money, it's a great idea.

And as for an SSL being a better alternative because the SSL mix bus allegedly sounds better than a Pro Tools HD system, that is strictly a matter for opinion. The Awesome DAW-SUM CD exercise certainly proved that most engineers can't consistently tell the difference between DAW mix buses in a blind test, despite prior claims to the contrary.
Old 03-24-2004, 01:29 PM

If the unit has a computer which is not known then it runs on PC not a UNIX/Apple system. If Digi is going after the so called high end studio's I don't see them selling a large number of controllers because the market is changing to smaller/mid size high end studios.
In the area of the mix buss your correct in saying it's a matter of opinion and I'll buy your old SLL/Neve console for a low price and you can buy into the D controller......deal?
Old 03-24-2004, 02:01 PM

Hi.

We are now in 2004 and a lot of protools user use a lot of outboard gear like preamp / comp / eq / reverb / etc .
And a lot of SSL or other mixing desk users use also an outboard gear to record a sound and go direct inside protools

I think that the new D CONTROL is not a mouse , is a Mixing console that you can configure like you want .

-You want 16 fader or 32 fader or 48 fader
-You want 8 input / 8 output or 24 input / 32 output ( buy some digi converter )
-You must have preamp 8 or 16 or 24 ( use your own preamp or buy PRE or other )
-You want DSP power put 1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 ACCEL Card
-You want EQ / comp / chorus / delay / phaser / guit amp / reverb /and a lot of plug ins effect ( you don't have the same choice inside an other mixing console
-And in the same time you have your Protools recorder.
-Think about all the other high end Digital mixing console and check the price.

I'v got now a procontrol / edit pack / fader pack and it's not a big mouse it's a great solution to works.

But I'v the same opinion like you , the price it's a little bit expensive if you want a big solution like the gif inside the digidesign website

What do you think about this

sos recording
Old 03-24-2004, 03:58 PM

SOS

Quote:
We are now in 2004 and a lot of protools user use a lot of outboard gear like preamp / comp / eq / reverb / etc . And a lot of SSL or other mixing desk users use also an outboard gear to record a sound and go direct inside protools
There's a reason why people use the outboard gear, there's a reason why many people are choosing to sum outside of the box, there's a reason why people fall into the marketing/hype trap everytime...

Quote:
I think that the new D CONTROL is not a mouse , is a Mixing console that you can configure like you want

Yep, looks like it has faders and knobs and a monitor to boot I guess it's a professional mixing console?
Does the Pro D Console have eq and compressors on every channel? Yep....Oh, wait.... Plug-in's are in the computer run by Pro-tools.

Does it have pre-amps on ever channel? Yep.........Oh, wait.....You can buy Digi's remote pre's running into Pro-tools and being controled through Pro-tools or by API, Neve...

Does it have moving automation? Yep...........Oh....wait.........that's in the computer ran by Pro-tools.

If the console has no serious analog I/O than to me it's just a controller and having monitor I/O on a pro-control doesn't count.

Have to read the details on the ICON D before passing judgement so will wait until Friday...

Oh, here's a question: what about all the professional who run Apogee and other convertors will they buy into this console? Is Apogee on board with Digi or is it still moving towards all Digidesign or nothing? answer?
Old 03-24-2004, 04:19 PM

Well, yeah, but by that rationale any console such as a Neve DFC, Euphonix, etc that has its control surface seperate from its audio hardware could also be called "just a mouse". This one just happens to control a variety of signal processing (ie plug-ins) devices as opposed to "the ones that come with the console", and its I/O is handled by 192's as opposed to the rack of I/O hardware that comes with the aforementioned consoles.
Admittedly, I haven't seen one in person, so I guess we'll know when we look under the hood this Friday....

Sure LOOKS cool though!

IMDB

Puget Sound on Facebook