Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2003, 10:57 AM

Default Calling all experts......

I'm having no luck getting a good vocal sound. What are some general plug ins or eq settings to use on a voice in the weezer/jellyfish range? My recording levels are great, however the lead vocals sound really thin w/ only one track. They sound almost too thick when I record a second lead track. The plug ins available to me are those that came in the 001 Factory Bundle (in addition to the Digirack plugins it came w/ Bombfactory compressors and Waves EQ and Delay)
For example, on a voice like Chris Cornell, does he double his lead vocal or is it only one track. What eq settings/compression/reverb/delay do they use on those recordings? It seems as if it is really easy to look up the recording rigs of the great guitar players, but the secrects of how Freddy Mercury recorded his vocals are a mystery....

Benjamin
Old 04-17-2003, 01:41 PM

Default Re: Calling all experts......

The quality of the mike and mike-pre make the biggest difference.

Using a mike pre (like PreSonus or ART) helps warm the vocals up. Might add one as an insert.

I start with Limiter/Compressor/4-band. If you got it, MAXIM works great too. Choose a stereo plug in, and it will automatically double the vocals.

You might use bussing to spread the vocals out to several aux inputs. Effecting each aux with a different splug-in. Play with the faders to find a good balance.

Just ideas.

dova
Old 04-18-2003, 12:01 AM

Ben you are about to get about 5 million different points of view on how to get a good vocal sound [img]images/icons/grin.gif[/img] .... and they are probably by and large all going to be pretty good suggestions.
Here are some variables though, that you need to think about first.
Mics - what kind makes a BIG difference.
Style of vocalist. Attitude and studio experience of the vocalist. These things will make a big difference. I recently had two singers in the studio on different occasions... females, almost identical voices, but one was used to a studio environment, and the other wasnt. Oh boy... thats where you have to be the engineer...
What kind of mic are you using?
I advise you to get the best mic you afford, get your levels set well, and try to get a good take dry, then work it over with the plugs later. get that good take first will make less work on you later!
Good luck!
kev
Old 04-18-2003, 12:10 AM

A good voice and a nice mic are the two most important tools. No amount of plug-ins is going to make garage band charlie" singing into a radio shack mic, sound like Chris Cornell screaming into a U47.
Old 04-18-2003, 07:40 PM

Default Re: Calling all experts...... *DELETED*

Post deleted by David001
Old 04-18-2003, 08:43 PM

We do 1 vocal track(usually clean) then hit
Duplicate track! Pan 1 hard right and 1 hard left. add a small delay on 1 track.. check out
the sound i get by doing that `small town girl` http://www.pilot57.com We keep it simple!
Then add a touch of d-verb 20%? on the entire mix. Rick torrezani taught me that trick at a waves seminar, good enough for him =good enough for me!
Hal
pilot57