Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-29-2016, 03:19 PM

Default Phantom power is on but no sound levels

The phantom power is on, I can hear myself through the headphones but there are no sound levels on the meter and no audio when I hit record. I feel its an easy fix but I cant find any answers besides check the 48v switch which is on. Please help. Thank you
Old 02-29-2016, 03:27 PM

Default Re: Phantom power is on but no sound levels

Not much useful info here.

And the playback engine is set to what?

Are you hearing stuff though hardware monitoring, turn that off so you are only hearing software monitoring though Pro Tools.

The mic gain knob on the interface is set where? The track fader is set where? The fader is in pre or post fader metering? (should be pre-fader for tracking).

The Pro Tools track input selector is set to what?

What exact interface, interface driver, OS, Pro Tools version etc.

Describe your whole set up, exact mic make and model. What are you trying to record? What exactly is connected to what exact input input using what type of cable ends etc.

Post screenshots of the playback engine dialog panel, IO>Setup Input/Output/Bus pages, the mix window showing IO assignments for the track you are trying to record to, etc. Make sure we can read the text in the screen shots.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 02-29-2016 at 03:50 PM.
Old 02-29-2016, 03:36 PM

Sorry i just started this.

The playback engine is set to the fast track solo. Im using an AKG c214 trying to record vocals. How can I turn on the software monitoring instead of using the hardware?
Old 02-29-2016, 03:40 PM

Im using pro tools 12, not too familiar with daws since im usually only on the microphone but im trying to start doing all of it on my own.
Old 02-29-2016, 03:44 PM

No I gather you are using Pro Tools 12. I want what exact version of Pro Tools 12, and exact other info. Have a read of the "help us help you" link up the top of this page and note the type of information expected there.
Old 02-29-2016, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lfguardado93 View Post
Sorry i just started this.

The playback engine is set to the fast track solo. Im using an AKG c214 trying to record vocals. How can I turn on the software monitoring instead of using the hardware?
OK great, a condenser mic so you do want phantom power on.

On that interface there is a direct monitor button. Turn that *off*. Now you'll be hearing the monitoring only through Pro Tools.. which means you may not hear anything, but we'll fix that next. Find the manual and read to understand what the monitor button does (and yes I just want you to read the manual anyhow). What do you hear now?

Next screen shots...
Old 02-29-2016, 07:59 PM

assuming you plug in your mics to your interface with XLR connectors, there's no reason to ever turn off phantom

but leaving that aside now,

you hear the mic through your interface, so the chain, up through that point, is clearly working.
So, the issue is getting the signal from the interface into pro tools

If the mic is in input One of the FastTrack, do you have your audio track input assigned from input One as well?

Last edited by wwittman; 03-01-2016 at 07:20 PM.
Old 02-29-2016, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lfguardado93 View Post
Im using pro tools 12, not too familiar with daws since im usually only on the microphone but im trying to start doing all of it on my own.
You need to learn the basics of recording chain 101... You're not even familiar with DAWs?... That is like a toddler looking for the best running shoes available...
Old 03-01-2016, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwittman View Post
assuming you plug in your mics to your interface with XLR connectors, there's no reason to ever turn off phantom
That is wrong; you never want to use phantom power on a non-active ribbon mic or dynamic mic.

QAPLA!
Old 03-01-2016, 06:18 AM

Most dynamic mics will ignore phantom power, but yes, it can potentially damage a ribbon mic.