Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Third Party Interfaces
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-24-2016, 08:45 PM

Default Re: Focusrite Clarett 8 Pre X

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
Guys, do those latency numbers look good to you considering this is Thunderbolt? I'm getting 5.6 ms when doing hardware loopback (analog output 1 cabled to analog input 2) with my USB 2.0 interfaces with Pro Tools at 44.1 kHz and 64-sample buffer.

Edit: updated as per CEntrance Latency Checker.
If his numbers are correct (I haven't tested) they are less than an HDN system. That is pretty darn good. The available bandwidth would be significantly more than USB 1-2 interfaces which comes into play if you are tracking a full band.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 02-24-2016, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
If his numbers are correct (I haven't tested) they are less than an HDN system. That is pretty darn good. The available bandwidth would be significantly more than USB 1-2 interfaces which comes into play if you are tracking a full band.
Wow, I had it in my mind that HDN was <2 ms. Go ahead with your bad self, Focusrite! Maybe it's time I consider non-RME gear for my next rig.

Quote:
I am a bit confused by the last line of your post ;-)
My fault. I meant to say "I'm willing to give Focusrite interfaces a second chance, but only if the preamps are fairly neutral."

In your opinion, is the Clarett8pre worth the money for a mac PT system? RME has been so good to me, I'm loathe to take a chance on anyone else. But they are expensive.
Old 02-24-2016, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Wow, I had it in my mind that HDN was <2 ms. Go ahead with your bad self, Focusrite! Maybe it's time I consider non-RME gear for my next rig.
At higher sample rates, yes, not at 44.1. 96k HDN will do 1.7ms at 64HW Buffer. I am sure the Clarett would also have much better performance at higher sample rates as well. I will have to test this out at some point.

Quote:
My fault. I meant to say "I'm willing to give Focusrite interfaces a second chance, but only if the preamps are fairly neutral."
I know what you meant, why I pointed it out

Quote:
In your opinion, is the Clarett8pre worth the money for a mac PT system? RME has been so good to me, I'm loathe to take a chance on anyone else. But they are expensive.

I used RME for years as well. Got rid of it when I moved to HDN. The integration with Pro Tools and insert compensation was my reasoning as I mix with a lot of hardware.

It is not a fair comparison as I have not used an RME in a few years now and the Fireface 800 was the last device by them I owned, and have not used a newer UFX/UCX for instance, BUT (from what I remember) I am much more impressed with both the converters and pre's over the 800. I was never floored with RME converters. The drivers were AMAZING and the functionality/reliability are top notch. That is why I loved them and still do and recommend them all the time.

The actual control panel of routing and mixer, I like the RME better at this point. Time will tell on that but it seemed more straight forward. But I am not using the Clarett as my main system, so not a terrible amount of time spent on it.

IF this works out and these are able to adopt to both Windows and Mac, they have a hit on their hands IMO. USB will not be able to compete with the latency and bandwidth capabilities just as it cant currently with PCIe. So a solid line of cross platform interfaces that sound great and extreme low latency are going to be pretty major.

Windows drivers are in production. They have ordered a couple computers from us for their testing. (Molten is partners with Neil and I) We don't know anything though, and I had to buy my interface, so I am not giving a sales pitch!! My personal daw is the one in my signature so no TB. Plan on upgrading when the next E/X series of processors release from Intel.

pro-tools-pc.com

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 02-27-2016, 10:56 PM

Has anybody used the 8 Pre X with PT 11 using Thunderbolt on a PC? If so, does that mean I would have to use Win 10? I have a new build ready to be assembled with an ASUS Maximus V Extreme MB, i7- 3770K processor and 32Gb of Ram. The MB has Thunderbolt onboard. I am hoping for all the hooks and handshakes to be ready to fulfill its potential! Hopefully with a Clarett 8 Pre X.

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-28-2016, 07:43 AM

There are no Windows drivers for the Clarett yet.
Old 02-28-2016, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SixChurchStreet View Post
There are no Windows drivers for the Clarett yet.
I was afraid that was the case, but hoping I was wrong! Sometimes it's nice to be wrong. This would be one of them!

Thank you!

My new build will be a dinosaur by the time Thunderbolt becomes a reality for PC. OUCH!
Old 02-28-2016, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KD11520 View Post
I was afraid that was the case, but hoping I was wrong! Sometimes it's nice to be wrong. This would be one of them!

Thank you!

My new build will be a dinosaur by the time Thunderbolt becomes a reality for PC. OUCH!
My post above your original post gives the most information anyone has including a link to Focusrites statement and what I know. I would guess you would need 8.1 or 10. Other devs with TB compatibility such as Audient are not supporting Win7 which I think might be the trend.

You 3770k is kind of already a dinasour!!! ;-)

pro-tools-pc.com

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 02-28-2016, 11:13 AM

Quote:
My post above your original post gives the most information anyone has including a link to Focusrites statement and what I know. I would guess you would need 8.1 or 10. Other devs with TB compatibility such as Audient are not supporting Win7 which I think might be the trend.

You 3770k is kind of already a dinasour!!! ;-)
Thank you for the link and Win info. I have 8.1 for the build (sitting new in their boxes for a long time now).

Poor 3770K sitting so long brand new in its packaging, it's already a fossil. I hate when that happens! I timed this one badly not expecting TB to take this long to go mainstream for PC.

Unfortunately, to get better than a LGA 1155 3770K, means a forklift upgrade. I'm going to have to run on this for a while when everything comes together.
Old 02-28-2016, 12:15 PM

Yep I think the best proc right now, aside from dual core Xeon's is the 4970k's

http://cpuboss.com/cpu/Intel-Core-i7-4790K
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 02-28-2016, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYR123 View Post
Yep I think the best proc right now, aside from dual core Xeon's is the 4970k's

http://cpuboss.com/cpu/Intel-Core-i7-4790K
Not even close. For PT performance, any of the 5xxx k/x have better performance. Even the new 6700k has better performance in PT

pro-tools-pc.com

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10