Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 11
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-2015, 08:51 AM

Default Re: Only hearing music out of the left headphones

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
I give up - you win. Tried to help but you keep negating everything other people mention or have some snide remark about it. If you can't understand basic troubleshooting principles and starting with something that's a known good item then there's nothing else that can be said without violating the TOS and I ain't going there.
I simply don't get what could be wrong in a quick session test with one audio track and just asked you to explain what problems you are trying to check that a session with one audio track won't. Simple as that... a genuine question, asked now multiple times...

... but forgetting the chicken for a moment, download the demo file and try it, sure, include that result with other replies here. Having the demo file on you system when you are getting started is a very good thing for just playing around with. If that works and the simple audio session does not then we can worry about what was done wrong in that simple test later...

I'd also have liked to know where just using the computer's audio as the playback engine gets the user, but its a PC and we have no idea what sound device is in it, and I'm not going to ask again for basic systems info, or try to walk through an ASIO4ALL install...
Old 02-18-2015, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
I simply don't get what could be wrong in a quick session test with one audio track and just asked you to explain what problems you are trying to check that a session with one audio track won't. Simple as that... a genuine question, asked now multiple times...
For those who are not familiar with the interfaces and software provided by Focusrite...with the Focusrite interface, you listen through the interface and through their software with zero latency. The software needs to be installed and set-up properly before you her anything through the headphone outputs. When I first got mine it was a little confusing. The positive is that it is very flexible. You can output just a track or a mix in mono or stereo to the headphone jacks. But if you don't make that set-up, you won't hear what you want.

Imagine a separate mixer on the output of your DAW that feeds the headphone. Their software is that separate mixer. You can have audio in/out of the DAW but won't hear anything until the software is correctly configured.

Here is a link to the set-up video for the Pro40. Since we don't know what interface she is using, this may or may not cover the basics.

http://us.focusrite.com/firewire-aud...saffire-pro-40

And here is the video for the Mix Control software:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cRbAsXtPSLE#t=393
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:17 AM

Park, thanks for keeping emphasizing that the MixControl mixer sits on the DAW Ouptuts (as well as hardware inputs). So the debug step there for now is to just to go into Mix Control and make sure that the "DAW Tracking" preset is selected, right? That should take Mix Control out of the Pro Tools Output Loop. (And personally every-time I've played with a Focusright interface it's been that way, just ignoring MixContol).
Old 02-18-2015, 10:19 AM

I have no doubt the problem here is that she is recording to a stereo track. Post #5 pegged it.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaone View Post
I have no doubt the problem here is that she is recording to a stereo track. Post #5 pegged it.
Uh we got beyond that, she tried playing back other audio.
Old 02-18-2015, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Uh we got beyond that, she tried playing back other audio.
Yep, just read through the thread and saw that.
Old 02-18-2015, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Park, thanks for keeping emphasizing that the MixControl mixer sits on the DAW Ouptuts (as well as hardware inputs). So the debug step there for now is to just to go into Mix Control and make sure that the "DAW Tracking" preset is selected, right? That should take Mix Control out of the Pro Tools Output Loop. (And personally every-time I've played with a Focusright interface it's been that way, just ignoring MixContol).
Yep. I am not sure it takes it out of the loop but you should select DAW as the device that is feeding the headset.

Also, as far as input is concerned, you can select stereo or mono tracks. If stereo is selected, it is easy to hear the mic on only the left side, of course.

The tutorial video should make most things clear to a beginner.
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 02-26-2015, 03:18 PM

Hey everyone I was really frustrated and just started trying different things. I pulled the headphone cord out a little but and it started working in both ears. That's the only way it will work.
Old 02-26-2015, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MusicGirl View Post
Hey everyone I was really frustrated and just started trying different things. I pulled the headphone cord out a little but and it started working in both ears. That's the only way it will work.
While that will provide audio to both ears, it does not solve your problem. All you are doing is shorting out both ears. You are putting the one channel into both ears. If you now try to hear a stereo source: you'll only hear one channel in both ears and not had the other channel at all.

What Focusrite interface are you using?

Have you loaded the Focusrite software?

Have you watched the Focusrite YouTube tutorials?

Please describe your system and how it is hooked up.
Old 12-05-2020, 03:54 AM

Hi I am also having this problem but have followed these instructions. I have a feeling it is something to do with my audio interface or settings on pro tools? I am only hearing through left head phones, even a stereo track i imported.

I am using audio kontrol 1. Could it be that my cable for connecting to my computer is for a printer and not strictly audio cable? Otherwise my cable for my mic came with it. It is rode.

Thanks for any help.