Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2013, 09:20 AM

Default 002 board reduced input/output

I am running PT8 on my late 2006 iMac with a digi002. Never had a problem with this great board, until now. I noticed recently a reduction in output when using the 002 as my default audio output, as I always have. I am working on a PT project for the first time since noticing this output issue, I plugged in a decent AKG mic to record some dialog and the signal is extremely low. I changed the mic, cable, and input on the board, none of which made a difference. Last time I used this mic I only had to turn up the pre up to about 1/4 or a 1/2 at most.

This is for a student project due this week so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-03-2013, 02:06 PM

Default Re: 002 board reduced input/output

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkdizno View Post
I am running PT8 on my late 2006 iMac with a digi002. Never had a problem with this great board, until now. I noticed recently a reduction in output when using the 002 as my default audio output, as I always have. I am working on a PT project for the first time since noticing this output issue, I plugged in a decent AKG mic to record some dialog and the signal is extremely low. I changed the mic, cable, and input on the board, none of which made a difference. Last time I used this mic I only had to turn up the pre up to about 1/4 or a 1/2 at most.

This is for a student project due this week so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Hi,

Is it the level going into pro tools which is low? Or the level coming out?

Nothing should really change the level coming into pro tools and recording onto a track? Providing all preamp settings are the same etc.

The level coming out? Is this the level showing on the master fader meter! Can you visually see if the level is as normal or is it not showing very good level on the master channel meter..

A low level coming out of pro tools could be simply you have the master channel fader down in pro tools which would lower the level leaving pro tools.

With the meters in pro tools they can show pre or post fader levels! Pre fader will show the level as it comes into a channel, like when recording it will show the level coming in to be recorded, so regardless of the fader position, the level is governed by the signal coming in. If you are set to post fader metering, then the level is governed by the position of the fader, so if a fader is down the level will be down etc.

I doubt there is a technical issue! More likely you have a fader level set low somewhere in your chain.

Chris

Producer, Engineer,
UKmastering Mixing & Mastering
Blinders_Columbia top 40 UK album charts
Slow Readers Club Joy Of The Return #9 UK album charts

www.ukmastering.com

PT10.3.10 Mountain Lion HD6 accel Magma PE6R4 D Command 32 MacPro 12 Core 3.46ghz UAD-2 Octo x2. Manley Vari-Mu, Manley Massive Passive, SSL VHD, ADL600, Grove Tubes ViPre, Tube-Tech CL-1B. Hafler TRM active monitoring.
Old 11-03-2013, 02:29 PM

Thanks for the reply Chris. The signal coming in to pro tools is very low. I have used this exact set up in the past, AKG perception 120, mogami XLR, into the 002. Usually the signal has been great and I never need to turn the gain up more than 12 o'clock. Now, I have to crank the gain to get enough signal but there is so much noise the recording is of no use.
I use the 002 as the default interface, when I listen on iTunes, watch videos(YouTube, DVD's, etc) and my overall output level seems to be lower than usual.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks,
Jeremy
Old 11-03-2013, 06:09 PM

Are you running balanced cables to your speakers? If a balanced cable loses one of the signal connections, it often results in a 6db drop in volume. Make sure that TRS plugs are pushed all the way in(easy to miss if you assemble the rig in a hurry).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave