Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2006, 11:45 PM

Default CALLING ALL MIDI EXPERTS

I want to connect my bcf2000 midi controller to my firewire 1814 using midi cables, instead of usb. What are the connections I have to make, so I can control the pro tools mixer with my bcf2000?
Old 10-27-2006, 07:11 PM

Default Re: CALLING ALL MIDI EXPERTS

I'm trying to do the same thing except I'm trying to have my Motif ES6 do the controlling. I'm also inexperienced with MIDI and I can't hear any MIDI playing. I'm working on a pro tools session that someone else recorded and it has MIDI in it and I can't hear the MiDI. I'm routing the output to my project mix. Is there a plug in or some other I have to change for the Project mix to play it back oro do I have to set it up through my Motif some how. Sorry i know nothing about MIDI and can't really find the answer in the literature. -John
Old 10-27-2006, 11:25 PM

Gosh, I'm answering my own question now. Just figured it out last nite. u hav 2 connect your midi cable from your keyboard's midi out to the project mix's midi in. Then go 2 the hardware section of the project mix, I dont know how your's is laid out, but for my 1814, I click the 'hardrware' tab. Check the 'digital input selection', check 'spdif input port' and make sure u set it to 'coaxial'. I was agonizing for months about this, finally I can connect any of my midi devices via midi!
About not being able 2 hear midi: Are u using pt m-powered 7/ LE? I'm using ptmp, and the same thing happened 2 me last time. The reason why I cudnt hear any midi playg was because I needed a device that cud provide midi sounds, such as an analog sound module or a 'virtual synth' plug-in. So what i did was I ordered digidesign's 'X-pand' plug-in, installed it in ptmp, inserted the x-pand plugin in2 an instrument track's 'insert', and now I'm in MIDI bliss. 'X-pand' is actually free, u jus hav 2 pay 4 shipping costs, which is not much. If u hav more cash 2 spend, u can get other virtual synth plug-ins that are better in quality, such as digidesign's 'Hybrid', or any other plug-in that's compatible with pro tools.
Hope this helps you and anyone else viewing this reply!
Old 11-08-2006, 11:00 PM

i just ordered the xpand thanks.. looks pretty suite.. so that should enable me to mix and master and "hear" the midi.. kewl

would i have been able to accomplish the same by connecting a midi cable from my motif to my project mix like you said.. does this and buying the xpand plugin accomplish the same task.

also as far as my motif goes.. i believe there are a few options with it that i need to change in order for it to become a controler.. according to a friend i don't need any midi cables for it as long as i have it connected to my computer using a usb.. my reason is still not detecting it.. if anyone knows anything about this as well.. let me know.. thanks for the advice thus far... -john
Old 01-03-2007, 02:59 AM

Default xpand plug and setting up instrument/midi tracks

do you need to have an instrument track and a midi track every time you want to use xpand.. i'm really new to midi.. just seems kinda weird to me..
Old 01-03-2007, 05:42 PM

Default Re: xpand plug and setting up instrument/midi tracks

Just use an Instrument track, Expand! will default the MIDI Output selector.

filosofem