Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-01-2016, 07:46 AM

Default Re: Phantom power is on but no sound levels

The C214 is a condenser and does need phantom power. I suggest the OP spend some time on youtube and search for videos such as:
Getting started with pro tools
Basic recording with pro tools, how to record in pro tools

Those kind of videos will help a lot more than us typing advice here(a picture is worth a thousand word, and a video is worth..................)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-01-2016, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
That is wrong; you never want to use phantom power on a non-active ribbon mic or dynamic mic.
no you're wrong

in the actual world, pro recording studios have had phantom on every console channel, on all the time, going back basically for as long s phantom power has existed.

with correctly wired mics and xlr, it's a total non-issue
Old 03-01-2016, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwittman View Post
no you're wrong

in the actual world, pro recording studios have had phantom on every console channel, on all the time, going back basically for as long s phantom power has existed.

with correctly wired mics and xlr, it's a total non-issue
Until somebody blows up a vintage ribbon mic and furniture starts getting thrown at walls/people.... but hopefully folks who have those mics know how to handle them. For the typical beginner at home it maybe makes little difference what they do as default. As long as they know which of their microphones absolutely need phantom power and they need to be careful knowing there is power on leads/boards if they are connecting different things. It may not matter but I expect the best approach for many folks, with typical small studios and uh "creative wiring", may be to start with phantom power off unless needed.

None of this is helping the O.P. with his issues... come on back were here to help...
Old 03-02-2016, 04:34 AM

More and more, mostly starting over the last year or so, I go over to trouble shoot bad setups and the owner has a fundamental misunderstanding of phantom power...
Recently I have started to hear, "of course the phantom is on; I'm using XLR's to hook up my gear."

It's a good thing to actually sit them down and explain how it works.
There is a ton of mis-info online.

Generally, someone who doesn't understand how to hook stuff up is not going to even have access to a super old ribbon that is sensitive to phantom anyway.
They will break it some other way.

But yes...

Back to the problem.
Old 03-02-2016, 04:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookerv12 View Post

Generally, someone who doesn't understand how to hook stuff up is not going to even have access to a super old ribbon that is sensitive to phantom anyway.
They will break it some other way.
Like give it to a vocalist that's given to screaming. My favorite story on how to break a ribbon is one Rob Halford of Judas Priest tells about how he killed a ribbon mic by doing his usual vocalizations into it.

QAPLA!
Old 03-02-2016, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A1 View Post
You need to learn the basics of recording chain 101... You're not even familiar with DAWs?... That is like a toddler looking for the best running shoes available...
Help the OP or shut up - You are not helpful or even funny - just nasty - I wish the Duc from 16 years ago will resurface without all this smart alec comments
Mac 16 Core 7,1 -Os 10.15.7 - 96 gb Ram - Pro Tools 2022.6 Ultimate in 5 suites - MTRX Studio -S6 26-5-D - Sync HD - Video Satelite (Symphony 2022.5, AJA Kona 3g) Pro Protools 2022.6 Vanilla in 21 x Recording and Edit suites. Mac 6,1 Mac Mini, Mac Mini M1, Mac Studio Pro, Mac Studio Max
Mediacomposer 2021.12 on AJA Kona 3g / XT I/O x 3 suites. Multiple Avid S1, S3 & Docks
Old 03-02-2016, 07:40 AM

OP

Ity seems that you are monitoring straight in and out of your interface, without the audio reaching protools. Make sure you have the drivers installed if that is applicable and check your playback engine under Setup Menu. You should see your interface there - or it should be protools aggregate setup in the Audio Midi Studio software. The next place to go is your I/O setup.
Mac 16 Core 7,1 -Os 10.15.7 - 96 gb Ram - Pro Tools 2022.6 Ultimate in 5 suites - MTRX Studio -S6 26-5-D - Sync HD - Video Satelite (Symphony 2022.5, AJA Kona 3g) Pro Protools 2022.6 Vanilla in 21 x Recording and Edit suites. Mac 6,1 Mac Mini, Mac Mini M1, Mac Studio Pro, Mac Studio Max
Mediacomposer 2021.12 on AJA Kona 3g / XT I/O x 3 suites. Multiple Avid S1, S3 & Docks