Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2010, 05:11 PM

Default Power Mac G4- freezing

I am having trouble with my Power Mac freezing...This is computer is primarily dedicated to Pro Tools, yet I do some other things on it such as internet, Finale. At first the freezing occured in Pro Tools but now it occurs if I have more than one thing going. Such as internet and Finale...I do have 2 monitors and have read that there might even be an issue with the Mouse being pluged into the keyboard and not into the CPU itself. I just bought this Protools rig and am finding out that the Power Mac is being phased out!
Any ideas would be helpful.
Old 07-06-2010, 05:14 PM

Default Re: Power Mac G4- freezing

Just finding out that the Power Mac is being phased out?? Well, the G5's replaced the G4 for more than a few years and now we're on Intel MacPro's that have been out for what, 3-years now? If you're getting these random issues, it could be due to the fact that you're using a computer that is probably 8-10 years old or so. You might want to have it looked at.
Old 07-06-2010, 09:22 PM

With a Mac this old exhibiting odd symptoms is most likely the PRAM battery on the motherboard. Turn your Mac off, open the case, look for a small battery of a weird size, usually has purple colors on it. Take it to radio shack and get a replacement.
2X - 1T External HD with Mercury Elite Pro Enclosure
MBox 3 Mini
ProTools Express 10.3.3

The Final Lap
http://thefinallap.com
Old 07-07-2010, 01:29 AM

What's your spec?

1) Processor Single or dual? Speed?
2) RAM?
3) Hard Drive - External/internal (IDE or Firewire)? 5400 RPM or 7200 RPM?
3) OSX? 9.2, 10.2, 10.3, 10.4, 10.5?
4) Pro Tools what - v5.1, v6, v7, v8?
5) Interface - 001 (PCI), Mbox1 USB, Mbox2 USB, Mbox2 Pro (Firewire), 002, 003??
6) TDM system?
7) What G4 - AGP, Quicksilver?
8) How much space is left on your HD?

without this information it's like asking 'how long is a piece of string'?

Old 07-07-2010, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradLyons View Post
Just finding out that the Power Mac is being phased out?? Well, the G5's replaced the G4 for more than a few years and now we're on Intel MacPro's that have been out for what, 3-years now? If you're getting these random issues, it could be due to the fact that you're using a computer that is probably 8-10 years old or so. You might want to have it looked at.
*Pffft* This is not helping. Just because a Mac is having issues doesn't mean it's because it's old(er). My dual processor G4 still runs PT 7.3 fine without a single issue. I actually get LESS issues with that than my Pro running 8.0.3cs2. My Performa from 1996 still runs too I might add.

And who's going to look at it? A Mac store won't...and don't take it to those Geek squad dweebs...they know nothing about Macs. Be patient and see if you can DIY it yourself. Check the battery....open it up and make sure everything is seated right in there.

What I would do is this: Go here: http://discussions.apple.com/index.jspa and post your issue. You're likely to get decent help there. Unplug all your peripherals and try to pinpoint the trouble without PT and the interface in the picture.
Focusrite Saffire Pro 40
Ableton Live 10/Presonus Studio 3
Old 07-07-2010, 01:24 PM

Thank you to all those who have shared your knowledge with me.
Please don't take me as an example of all Kansans....I grew up with the group
Kansas- but I was a Jazzer (who really does like their music)...I actually had a good aquaintance who helped me several years ago to get this rig for our school band program. He wasn't around at the time recently when I needed to ask him about "purchasing" it. The school cut my position after 10 years so I'm back to what I really love to do....playing, writing and recording (if I can get this rig to work)
I have another friend coming in from Wichita tomorrow who will help me to look at your posts and the rig and should be able to help. You guys are awesome! Thanks again.
Old 07-07-2010, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothboy View Post
*Pffft* This is not helping. Just because a Mac is having issues doesn't mean it's because it's old(er). My dual processor G4 still runs PT 7.3 fine without a single issue. I actually get LESS issues with that than my Pro running 8.0.3cs2. My Performa from 1996 still runs too I might add.

And who's going to look at it? A Mac store won't...and don't take it to those Geek squad dweebs...they know nothing about Macs. Be patient and see if you can DIY it yourself. Check the battery....open it up and make sure everything is seated right in there.

What I would do is this: Go here: http://discussions.apple.com/index.jspa and post your issue. You're likely to get decent help there. Unplug all your peripherals and try to pinpoint the trouble without PT and the interface in the picture.
If you re-read my post...you'll notice I was responding to the OP stating he's just finding out that the G4 is being phased out----but I was letting him know that is not only VERY old news, but we're several generations ahead since then. I said that this COULD be the problem and he might want to have it LOOKED AT.....
Old 07-08-2010, 01:18 PM

I am needing to find out also if there are stability issues with Tiger 10.4.11...have there been some? I am trying to run Pro Tools 7.0.
Would it be better to run Leopard?
Old 07-08-2010, 08:34 PM

Won't work. You need an Intel processor to run Leopard. Tiger is as far as you can go.
http://www.videopark.com
MacPro 6 core 3.33 GHz, OS 10.12.1, 8 GB RAM, PT12.6.1, Focusrite Saffire Pro 40, PreSonus DigiMax, MC Control V3.5, dual displays,
Neumann U-47, Tab V76 mic pre, RCA 44BX and 77DX, MacBook Pro 9,1, 2.3 Mhz, i7, CBS Labs Audimax and Volumax.
Ampex 440B half-track and four-track, 351 tube full-track mono, MM-1100 16-track.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:20 PM

You can in fact run Leopard (10.5)on G4's & 5's if you have plenty of RAM and at least 800MHz processor/s. Is it worth it.... errr... no.
OSX Snow Leopard (10.6) is Intel only however.
AVID Collab user - mattrixx

MacStudio Ultra / LogicProX / IzotopeRX10+ / SourceConnect / MelodyneStudio5 / WAVES Mercury / NI KompleteUltimate / ProToolsUltimate / RME UFX, UFXII, Babyface / AVID S3 + DOCK / Barefoot MM27 gen2 / Barefoot FP01