Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2008, 01:04 PM

Default digi 002/7.4 installation problem/not recordable volume problem

Hi,
I really hope someone can help, I have spent the last 2 days trying to get my system up and running to no avail. Please be patient with me if I omit something, I have read the stickys and followed all appropriate links but i am not a protools user and know very little about osx.

I bought a used 002 rack which originally came with 6.7 but the user had gradually payed for and upgraded to 7.3 My system is as follows:

G5 dual 2ghz (pcie)
osx 10.4.11
6.5gig ram
3 hard drives- 2 internal 250gig formatted to os extended journalled.
Belkin usb wireless stick attached (problems repeatable with this removed)

Everytime I have tried to install protools I have been given the message

"there were errors installing the software please try installing again".

I eventually managed to get 7.3 working and opened the sample session successfully. I then decided to download the 7.4 upgrade as my reason for getting protools was to use the elastic audio functions.

I uninstalled 7.3 as directed then installed 7.4 to be greeted with the same errors installing the software message. However I am able to open protools but I cannot open a session. I read the posts on using the workspace to change the drive to right or playback but it will not allow me to change the setting. Today I purchased a brand new firewire drive and tried that but I cannot change the status of that drive either despite it being os extended journalled. I have also downloaded and ran the "prebinding" application which says there are no issues with my machine. I have trashed preferences, repaired permissions etc etc.

I also have logic pro 8 installed on the machine but the 002 rack is not appearing as a selectable interface since installing 7.4. I have even tried uninstalling 7.4 then reinstalling 7.3 but have had the same problems.

I really feel as if I have exhausted all of my options now although I am sure this issue is down to my own ignorance. I hope I have provided the correct information and that someone is able to advise me as how to proceed.

Thanks
Pete
Old 09-08-2008, 01:18 PM

Default Re: digi 002/7.4 installation problem/not recordable volume problem

Make sure you do a clean install to remove any non Tiger compatible components that may remain from pre 6.9.2 versions (if appropriate). 7.3 and 7.4 are full installers that do not need a prior version to be present on the system.

I have read reports that installing in stages can help. That is, install PT but uncheck plug-ins etc. Repeat the process installing one component at a time.

I take it you've got plenty of spare HD capacity on your system drive?

I have an almost identical set-up and I've never seen this problem though I have not upgraded beyond 7.3.1cs7.

http://www.myspace.com/philogg
Old 09-08-2008, 01:28 PM

Default Re: digi 002/7.4 installation problem/not recordable volume problem

Phil, thankyou so much! I found an old post of yours outlining the installing in stages work around and this has worked. You are a man amongst men! I was becoming really frustrated with this.