Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-18-2006, 01:30 PM

Default Re: App to create Bwav Poly files?

If you're apt in producing your own batch files, the Interlx commandline tool of the MCTool package (free as in beer and freedom) could be of help. There's an XP and OSX version available.

The commandline is
Interlx output.wav input1.wav input2.wav input3.wav input4.wav

The files seem to be completly legal multichannel WAVs, though without BWAV data I presume.

Get the tools here : http://people.bath.ac.uk/masrwd/mctools.html
Old 08-18-2006, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Hello. It's fairly easy. Create a 7.1 track. Drag the 4 stereo stems into the 7.1 track. Export and you are done.
Actully this DOESN'T work. Even though the tracks are on a 7.1 track they remain stereo tracks in the region bin, thus the "export selected as" command just recreates stereo files. Renaming with 7.1 names is the only way to do it, and I'm talking about around 5000 stereo files that need to be combined into 6 or 8 channel waves (around 1300 poly waves). I actually found an app called "BWF Combiner" that might work (it does mono to poly waves, and I'm hoping Stereo to poly as well).
As I said. You have to rename the suffixes of the original files as described in my other posting. It´s important that they show up as one pseudo-7.1-clip so to speak. You can also use a batch-renamer like r-name to find and replace the suffixes. Even those tools you mention need to "know" wich files to combine and wich channels goes where. You won´t get around a certain amount of half-manual work I think. A fairly automatic way would be to select all clips you dragged to the 7.1-track and do a region-by-region duplicate with ausdio-suite. You can walk away for a coffee and come back to find everything renamed to the 7.1-conventions. I think that would work. After that you select the whole track and apple-shift-k and again walk away till all regions are exported.

It works. I do it all the time to archive multichannel ambiences as one poly BWAV.

frank.
Old 08-18-2006, 02:01 PM

I don't want to dwell on symantics, but I was refering to Froyo's post where he stated just dragging onto a 7.1 track and Export and you're done. I then stated "renaming with 7.1 names is the only way to do it." Renaming isn't an option for me because of the number of files AND I wouldn't have a way to re-embedd my metadata associated with the original files (since the names wouldn't be match).

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Hello. It's fairly easy. Create a 7.1 track. Drag the 4 stereo stems into the 7.1 track. Export and you are done.
Actully this DOESN'T work. Even though the tracks are on a 7.1 track they remain stereo tracks in the region bin, thus the "export selected as" command just recreates stereo files. Renaming with 7.1 names is the only way to do it, and I'm talking about around 5000 stereo files that need to be combined into 6 or 8 channel waves (around 1300 poly waves). I actually found an app called "BWF Combiner" that might work (it does mono to poly waves, and I'm hoping Stereo to poly as well).
As I said. You have to rename the suffixes of the original files as described in my other posting. It´s important that they show up as one pseudo-7.1-clip so to speak.

It works. I do it all the time to archive multichannel ambiences as one poly BWAV.

frank.

System 2: Pro Tools 23.9 (no Hardware), Mac OS 13.2.1, MBP (Macbook Air M2, 2022 24Gig Ram)
Old 08-18-2006, 02:04 PM

oops, I edited my posting with another hint while you replied. Check my posting before this one to see if that helps. BTW: You could re-embed your metadata with soundminer. In fact you could do all the exporting in soundminer BUT again the suffixes have to match the 7.1-convention.

Soundminer als offers a nifty little app called metaedit that could help batch-re-embedding the metadata.

Sorry, now I´ve run out of ideas...

frank.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:01 PM

I understand what Tim R. is referring to and, no, PT does not provide any support for Poly Wav files. Some responders are hung up in the surround implications, mentioning 5.1 and 7.1 formats. This is not at all what he is talking about. Think of them more as 'file groups', which 'stick' together when editing, importing and exporting, etc; and have a metadata chunk that pertains to them as a group. Pro Tools seems oblivious to this essential workflow of film and location production.

As an example, consider two channels of dialog, a stereo ambience mic and a music cue; all generated simultaneously on the set. Many field recorders are capable of tagging this six channel recording as a single block, and the technical term is Poly Wav.

The special metadata needed to describe this block of files and keep them together in recorders that support this format is in IXML.

I can think of numerous applications for this in my record production work and would welcome it eagerly!
Old 01-17-2013, 03:11 PM

PT 10 can do poly waves

"Fly High Freeee click psst tic tic tic click Bird Yeah!" - dave911

Thank you,

Craig
Old 01-17-2013, 05:13 PM

Craig F. Would you like to substantiate that statement? I see no evidence or mention AT ALL of this after reading latest PT10 ug.
Old 01-17-2013, 05:24 PM

page 6: Support for Interleaved Audio Files
http://akmedia.digidesign.com/suppor...409.pdf#page=9

Thank you,

Craig
Old 01-17-2013, 05:57 PM

Craig. Interleaved files have nothing to do with Poly WAV format.

Completely apples and oranges.
Old 01-17-2013, 06:32 PM

then why do my 5.1 SFX files from Blastwave that are poly wave work just fine and why can I make 5.1 SFX files form mono files?

Thank you,

Craig