Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI

Old 12-21-2016, 09:28 PM

Default How to bounce MIDI to Audio if Instrument sounds are on external DAW (Roland Juno-Ds)

Cut me some slack as I've just started learning MIDI a few weeks ago

This is just one example of many times I've needed this feature.

So basically I'm recording a MIDI track using a Cello sound on my Juno-Ds. I have it connected to my computer directly with USB. In PT it's a MIDI track with the Juno selected as the output.

It seems as long as the Juno is plugged in, I can listen to and edit my MIDI file with whatever instrument is selected on the keyboard. If I don't have the keyboard connected, the MIDI is obviously mute (no virtual instruments). This doesn't work with an Instrument track as there is no option to send to the Juno for some reason. Also the "Sends" menu is unavailable.

I want to bounce this MIDI into an audio track using the instrument sounds of the Juno. Everything I've looked up tells me to "print" to audio using a bus but I can't do that since the output of the MIDI track has to be the Juno.

Any suggestions? The only thing I can think of is somehow running a loop through my interface and recording it but I'm not even sure how that would work.

EDIT: I have now figured out how to use an Instrument track instead of a MIDI track. Hooray! However, even though this gives me the option to use sends and buses and whatnot, it doesn't seem to be working. I have tried selecting my output as "bus 1" and input of the audio track to "bus 1" and did the same using sends on the instrument track. Still lost!

EDIT 2: Got it! I'm going to leave this up in case anyone else comes along searching the forums for this (I did plenty of that before posting).

So here's what I ended up doing: The MIDI signal is coming through the JUNO and can even play the audio from said MIDI file this way. But it won't record the audio with it. To do this, I ended running regular instrument cables from the Juno into my interface just like I would regularly do to record audio. I created a new track and set the inputs to the Juno via the instrument cables. Then when you play back the MIDI (going through USB or MIDI cable), it plays through the Juno, loops back around through the Instrument cables, and records to the new audio track. Viola! :)

Last edited by mmmtastybusch; 12-21-2016 at 09:48 PM.