Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > The Drum Room
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-25-2014, 12:19 PM

Default Need Help with Strike 1.5 and proper mapping

Hello, I am new here and relatively new to PT 10. I have a TD-20 and a Digi 003 console set up with PT 10 and have connected the TD-20 to the 003 via MIDI.

First question: When creating my MIDI connection in MIDI Studio Setup, I noticed there was no TD-20 option under the Roland Options for instruments. Am I missing something, seems TD-20 should be there...

To keep going, I chose TD-10 since it was closest, I already turned off local control on my TD, set up an instrument track and chose Boom. Everything works just fine; I can trigger each of the different kit components through the triggers and everything is mapped correctly.

Since Boom sounds like a toy, I would rather use the TD-20 to trigger Strike (1.5) which I have. I switched to Strike and nothing is mapped correctly.

I have seen articles on the forum saying I need to "set Strike's input to Channel 2":

- How do I do this? I have gone back to the studio setup and changed the send data channel to 2, but that doesn't change anything...

I hope I have provided everyone enough info to answer the question; This is my first post and want to make sure I am not just throwing out questions without thinking.

Thanks!
Old 05-26-2014, 10:18 AM

Default Re: Need Help with Strike 1.5 and proper mapping

Some experimentation may be needed here. Re. using channel 2, I think that is not correct. Traditionally, drums/percussion use midi channel 10(and I would set the incoming midi path to use ONLY 10 from the Roland box). Next thing to look for is a mapping option in Strike for Roland eKits(I don't use Strike, but SD2, EZDrummer and Addictive Drums all have a mapping preset for Roland and Alesis brains). Beyond that, its possible(although a huge PITA) to re-assign each pad to the proper midi note for each sound in the VI plugin(I had to do this on my TD10 kit so that I could trigger a cowbell and cross-stick with an AUX pad.

Re the midi studio setup-the model, brand are not required. The settings that matter are the midi ports and channel(s).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 05-26-2014, 10:43 AM

Thanks Dave - I guess I have my work cut out for me. I had a TD-10 before and had to custom map that in PT 8; was hoping I was missing something simple.

I'll post an epilogue (or another question lol) after I experiment for awhile.

Thanks again -
Old 05-27-2014, 09:29 AM

Fingers crossed for ya. Never used Strike, but SD2 and EZDrummer worked almost 100% right out of the box with my TD-10. Addictive drums has a mapping preset. Before you burn the midnight oil on the TD-20, make sure Strike doesn't have a preset hiding somewhere

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave