Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-05-2009, 08:17 PM

Default Apogee Discontinues Windows Support

I've been saying that Apple should buy this company for some time. That would really make things interesting on the hardware front. I wonder...
Old 03-05-2009, 10:21 PM

Default Re: Apogee Discontinues Windows Support

If apple bought apogee, I don't think digi would like that much... Then apple and digi would be in even more direct competition.... both having software AND hardware...
I'd rather see digi and apple working together more...
I think It would be slammin if digi bought apogee, and put out two lines of hardware compatible with pro tools tdm systems...
We use apogees with the x-cards in our a room, and While they sound excellent, there's a lot of quirks.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:35 PM

hahahaha

Apple collaborating with other companies... good one!
Old 03-06-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrox View Post
... That would really make things interesting on the hardware front. I wonder...
more duets and ensembles? hell, no!!

Last edited by usd; 03-06-2009 at 01:22 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-09-2009, 04:23 AM

WHOA!!

Leaving Apple out of this for a second, WHY would Apogee discontinue Windows support?

I would have guessed that's where most companies are still making most of their money, considering Microsoft's market share, etc.? This seems like a major event to me.

Any ideas?
Old 03-09-2009, 06:49 AM

Looking at what (and how) both Apple and Apogee have been presenting their wares for the last 2-3 years, I’d venture saying that it’s precisely because they are cooperating tightly — and apparently successfully.

Look at those Symphony ads — they’re almost Mac ads.
Look at Apple’s website music software pages — they all feature Apogee (and Euphonix) hardware. No mention of other compatible hardware.

Remember what Apple’s first move was when they purchased eMagic?
Something tells me that we’ll see many more shoes drop this year.

We’ll fix it in the shrink-wrap. (Frank Zappa)

Old 03-09-2009, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentley Ferrari View Post
...Leaving Apple out of this for a second, WHY would Apogee discontinue Windows support?
Apogee Discontinues Window Development

Santa Monica, CA, February 23, 2009 - As of 2009, Apogee Electronics will no longer develop products for the Microsoft Windows platform. Apogee has made this decision in order to focus all research, development, and support resources on the Apple platform with its unparalleled power and stability. Apple offers a wide range of affordable, powerful desktop and laptop solutions ideally suited for music creation and audio production.

Apogee will continue to develop and manufacture premium converters, microphone preamplifiers, clocking solutions, and supporting technologies that provide world-class solutions for Mac-based production environments.

Windows users can obtain the Apogee sound by connecting Apogee converters to their Windows-compatible audio interface via AES, optical, or S/PDIF. Apogee technical support will continue to support legacy Windows configurations installed on Windows XP Service Pack 2.

Any questions regarding Windows support can be directed to Apogee technical support, available Monday through Friday 9 A.M. to 6 P.M. Pacific Standard Time. Technical Support can be reached either via phone at 310-584-9394, email here, or fax at 310-584-9385.
Old 03-09-2009, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre Knecht View Post
no.

You mean drop Windows support?

cheers,
rich
Old 03-09-2009, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre Knecht View Post
Something tells me that we’ll see many more shoes drop this year.
I actually hadn't thought of it, but if Apple WAS planning to buy Apogee and plans were being made, Apple might have learned a lesson from the eMagic acquisition. In other words, have Apogee drop Windows support some time BEFORE the acquisition. That way, Apple doesn't seem like it's capriciously dropping support for Windows users.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:11 PM

My guess is Apogee is dropping windows support because they are a hardware company, NOT a software company. They make excellent converters, but their ability to make a hardware and software package as appealing as digi's is not as good.

I think their recent firewire and pci products are only as successful as they are because apple has built functionality into them within Logic. I haven't used these products myself, so don't take my view on this with much weight.

While I haven't recently heard anyone complain about ensemble, symphony, etc, my understanding is they were pretty disappointing when they first came out. From what I have heard, when the ensemble came out it took almost a year before anyone could get one to work since the software was so buggy.

This is why digi still owns the majority of the market, because they sell great hardware and software together as a package.