Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 12-04-2019, 04:40 PM

Default PT 7.3 on Windows XP

Hi,
After several years of inactivity, I am trying to get my Pro Tools set up running again. I have (and have very successfully) run PT 7.3 using an MBox2 Pro interface, on a laptop running Windows XP. But now when I went to start up Pro Tools it kept stalling on the stage "building DAE objects" (or something like that). On the internet I was advised to uninstall and reinstall PT. I tried doing so (via a download as my DVD drive doesn't work), but the reinstall keeps stalling out at the stage "Installing digidesign hardware drivers." It never goes beyond that stage. I often (but not always) have to do a hard re-set.

An undoubtedly related problem, but not sure if it's the chicken or the egg, is that my MBox2 Pro doesn't initialize. The power light just keeps blinking instead of staying on, the way it used to. (And it came on as little as a week ago, but that was before I uninstalled and tried reinstalling.) Does the reinstall have to finish completely before the MBox2 Pro will initialize? Or does the MBox 2 Pro have to initialize before I can complete the reinstall? (Either way I'm stuck.)

I was just getting to know my system (and had produced five CD projects with it). I am hoping I can keep using it, as it was a significant investment. Help would be much appreciated.

Tom Harder
Old 12-05-2019, 05:01 PM

Default Re: PT 7.3 on Windows XP

Not sure if I can help, but....are you doing the install by following the original instructions, or just clicking and hoping? From a "clean" starting point(no left-over traces of failed PT installs), you would run the installer with the Mbox NOT connected. When the installer tells you to connect the interface, connect the Mbox>wait maybe 8 seconds and then continue. The next most important detail was/is to ignore any popups reporting "New Hardware Found". Don't click on those at all and they will(should) go away on their own Hopefully you have the authorization code(the code that starts with "DIGI0......"). Without that, you'll be stuck even after a successful install

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave