Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-24-2010, 06:52 AM

Default Re: Huge adc bug - no question, yes there is

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philthy View Post
It flies fine with me. Avid is not your friend dude, they're here to take your money. If they want to take your money, they might as well hear about problems that get in the way.
Hear about the problems - yes Avid should. But expressing those problems in a confrontational way isn't going to go very far.

QAPLA!
Old 12-24-2010, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantastic machine View Post
Can we stay on topic to this forum, which is, i thought, a place for users and tech support to talk about avid/digidesign technology? It would be helpful if any members who wish to discuss attitudes would go to attitudeforum.com and do so there. Or send a PM to chastise me, if you really need to do that, so as not to hijack this thread.
There is no official tech support from AVID on this forum. DTS is the moderator and link between us and them in a very unofficial way. Most info you will get on here will be from other experienced PT users about shared and common problems. DTS will of course chime in with info aswell. It is therefore better to keep things civil and to the point, If you are rude and venting none will take any notice of you, which kinda defeats the purpose of posting. Unless of course you get off on that kind of thing.

Happy Christmas to all fellow DUC ers

Mac Pro 3.3 hexacore
24 gb RAM
Lion
PT 10 HD Native
Old 12-24-2010, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodsdenis View Post

Happy Christmas to all fellow DUC ers
Thank you Denis

Have a very blessed holiday season.

Old 12-25-2010, 04:12 AM

Default Re: Huge adc bug no question, yes there is

ok, i guess because this is the main place you end up if you are googling any type of pro tools problem, and I have seen posts from "digitechsupt" which i thought was actually digi tech support, not someone who is interfacing with tech support, i thought this would be the place to express my extreme dis-satisfaction with the handling of the aforementioned midi timing issue. Part of the point being that many people were not even aware this was an issue, and should be aware. Also, everyone who has had this problem, knowingly or unknowingly, should be informed about it and should insist that the issue be taken care of in a reasonable way, and within a reasonable (already passed BTW) period of time.

Please note that I didn't come in here "guns blazing" or whatever, at any MEMBER on this board. I never had any negativity whatsoever, not the tiniest iota of it, towards any of the members here who are helping each other out, until people jumped up to complain about my strongly worded discussion of certain issues, which was totally directed at avid and only avid, instead of focusing on something i believe is extremely important, and not just an everyday little complaint. This should not just be diluted by all the discussion of personal crap i see on the forum sometimes, which really is a complete waste of time, unless it is something nice like, "merry christmas", "you're cool dude", or "I like your song man".

If my initial post was directed toward any of the fine people that are helping each other on this forum, I would have been happy to say, "could someone please please", and "thank you so much, you are the greatest".

* Also, why should we accept it when companies say "we'll get around to it whenever" just because it is so common. Companies with great customer service stand out because they are somewhat rare, but i see no reason to stop asking for what well-paying customers get at "high quality" stores or companies - if not everything they need, at least the information they need to move forward.

-edit - to digitechsupt - if you are not the guys from tech support, and are just interfacing on behalf of this forum, I am sorry if i bummed you out, and thanks for being patient with that misunderstanding.
Old 12-25-2010, 12:13 PM
Avid

Default Re: Huge adc bug no question, yes there is

I actually AM tech support - I mean, that's part of what I do. I've been doing it for 8 years here at Avid and, thus, my role has changed from 'a tech support guy' to someone that collects data from the DUC and elsewhere, looks at where we need to put our resources for fixes, improvements, etc. and works with other departments to make that happen.

While I *do* answer tech questions here as much as I can, my primary role is to look for the 'big ticket' items that need addressing and find a way to do it asap, either a code fix, workaround or otherwise. I also monitor several other boards and do direct support for big systems and specific areas where my expertise is higher than other techs.

So - if you see a response from me, it's 'official'.

I understand the frustration with this issue - as I said this fix will be implemented into 8.1, however - as someone pointed out - I can't give dates as to when that may occur. It's never a 'we'll get to it whenever' - it's always a matter of resources and length of time it can take to get a fix in. Things have to be prioritized and, sometimes, the fix is rather difficult - as it is in this case. Difficult in that it affects a lot of different areas that require coordination by several engineers, testing, tweaking, etc.

I hope that information helps.
Old 12-25-2010, 12:25 PM

Default Re: Huge adc bug!??

And.... DTS, responding (i.e. working) on Christmas Day!. Now that is dedication. Rock on! SB
Old 12-25-2010, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaileyBass View Post
And.... DTS, responding (i.e. working) on Christmas Day!. Now that is dedication. Rock on! SB
+1

DTS is of course tech support but this is not the place to give specific problems an airing, if you expect to get immediate and guaranteed AVID tech support. I assume you have to pay for that,

You may well get the answer here from other pros and DTS but you may not.

On this specific issue, at the start muhis, myself and others were very vocal on this, and regressed the bug to a repeatable formula. DTS then alerted AVID to this and has been the communication line between them and us on this issue. To say it has been strained at times would be fair.

I am not taking any issue with anybodies posting style here, but in general a civil manner tends to dealt with quicker. There are many very talented PT users here who can sort a lot of issues out, I just think that knowledge and selfless advice should be treated with respect whether from DTS or anyone else.

Mac Pro 3.3 hexacore
24 gb RAM
Lion
PT 10 HD Native
Old 12-26-2010, 10:20 PM

Default Huge adc bug - will be fixed in pt8 soon i hope

Next time, i will have to post my complaint before the situation has gotten ridiculous. That should keep me from being so upset about it.

To digitechsupt - I appreciate your response.
Regarding use of "resources" - The thing that upsets me about how companies work (NOT just digi/avid), is that they have huge bugs to fix to allow the people who have purchased software to use it as it was sold, but before they fix those bugs they have to release an iphone app, some other sales tool, or the next version.
This is true about most companies. I have seen it done many many times, and I would appreciate it if you could point that unfortunate trend out to the people who decide what to work on at avid. At least let them know that some consumers notice what at times seems to be misplaced priorities - putting quick money ahead of quality products.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:47 AM
Avid

Default Re: Huge adc bug - will be fixed in pt8 soon i hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantastic machine View Post
Next time, i will have to post my complaint before the situation has gotten ridiculous. That should keep me from being so upset about it.

To digitechsupt - I appreciate your response.
Regarding use of "resources" - The thing that upsets me about how companies work (NOT just digi/avid), is that they have huge bugs to fix to allow the people who have purchased software to use it as it was sold, but before they fix those bugs they have to release an iphone app, some other sales tool, or the next version.
This is true about most companies. I have seen it done many many times, and I would appreciate it if you could point that unfortunate trend out to the people who decide what to work on at avid. At least let them know that some consumers notice what at times seems to be misplaced priorities - putting quick money ahead of quality products.
One thing to keep in mind with resources is that there is always a balance between new/improved product and bug fixing. If there's no new product - there's no revenue stream, which means budget cuts, layoffs, etc.

Not an excuse, just a reality.
Old 12-29-2010, 06:32 AM

yes, i understand that it is not a simple question of greed vs. integrity, and i'm sure there are some people at digi/avid who are really trying hard to make this software something to be proud of, and aren't satisfied with shoddy programming or design. And I already had in mind the reality - if Logic smokes PT then we'll all have a problem, because, as you point out, low sales equals little money to hire developers, etc., and then nothing gets fixed.

Getting back to the midi bug- I hope in the future, avid can take more notice of a problem like this, which affected basically every HD user, much more seriously. I know I would prefer being able to record MIDI properly to having adjustable color brightness on my tracks, or even to having the second set of sends and auxes, which i'm sure took some time to work out. All of this to say, the features are nice, but I am sure most professional users would be willing to miss out on christmas, so to speak, so they could have the basic stuff working.

Also, a bug list, and what is planned for each item, would be a great way to save people time hunting down issues in their system. That is probably another "sales killer" that can't be implemented, but one can dream.