Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 06-24-2013, 10:25 AM

Default Re: PTIEP and AAX

He means that's been taken out of the 2.0 versions that are coming, probably because you need more access than standard AAX plugin format allows.
Old 06-24-2013, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by derFunkenstein View Post
He means that's been taken out of the 2.0 versions that are coming, probably because you need more access than standard AAX plugin format allows.
Yep. I think it's also taken out of IEP 1.0's coming AAX update too - at least when those AAX plugs are running under PT11. We'll see but I assume whatever limits 2.0 has to observe under AAX, 1.0 has to as well.

I'd say "why Avid, why?" but that's a question getting asked around here on tons of other issues. I'm just giving Komplete 9 a long look now, and AIR a mere shot when IEP 2.0 drops...

"I survived the Great Launch Predicaments of PT11 2013."
Old 06-24-2013, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiserpathos View Post
Yep. I think it's also taken out of IEP 1.0's coming AAX update too - at least when those AAX plugs are running under PT11. We'll see but I assume whatever limits 2.0 has to observe under AAX, 1.0 has to as well.

I'd say "why Avid, why?" but that's a question getting asked around here on tons of other issues. I'm just giving Komplete 9 a long look now, and AIR a mere shot when IEP 2.0 drops...
Okay, I see what it means now. Its the new AAX versions that won't drag and drop. That's a bummer, but it's no different with any other plug in! Hate to lose it, though! Made work flow go faster. Now you'll have export/import...adds a couple steps. Guess you can't have everything...darn it! What was the song by Queen? "I want it all...I want it now..."

Old 06-24-2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:

Drag and Drop is an Operating System feature, and rightly so. Historically, Pro Tools didn't use the OS level drag and drop in the timeline, which prevented dragging from the timeline into a plug-in window from working. Years ago, someone hacked a way to bridge the two worlds into the old plug-in format. With AAX, we've eliminated those sorts of things as we'd prefer a simpler less-bug-prone format. You might see a feature like this come back some day, but for all plug-ins, not just the 2 that had implemented this workaround back in the day.

It's true that there are still a few features and things you could do in our legacy plug-in formats that you can't do in AAX. Most of those are for very good reasons. (occasionally, we realize there was an oversight and we fix it) Please remember that the legacy plug-in format was around for 20 years, and grew hugely over that period of time. We're just in the infancy of AAX, but we're making sure we're standing on solid ground with a clear vision when moving it forward. If you don't think your growth strategy for a platform like AAX, you end up pinning yourself into a corner pretty quick...

If I had to give a state of the union for AAX, I'd say that we're 98% of the way there with supporting legacy features. And close with the fact that we are 130% of the legacy capability when considering new technologies that we have in AAX that we didn't have in the legacy platform. (unfortunately, that the last piece doesn't get as much attention)

Dave
Old 06-24-2013, 01:32 PM

Thanks Dave for for sharing your insight. It's much appreciated to hear background & a dev's take on it.

I understand the design of the architecture has to be solid before you can start adding stuff. You have to make choices, and several "no" or "maybe later after a mature release" decisions.

On a related note - while AAX32 paved the way illustrating design changes for coming 64-bit and stability (offline bounce clearly requires the plug to adhere to several rules & standards, for example) -- it does seem frustrating to have seen AAX64 plugs showing up so late in the game. Devs had to know a recompile was needed for AAX64. I know we're only in the 1st week and Avid can't control outside dev cycles -- but it's very clear at this point devs were waiting or stuck. Oh well, PT11's release hopefully influences a speed-up of compatible plugs arriving.

I'll still give AIR IEP 2.0 a fair shot, thanks again Dave for the insight & background info.

"I survived the Great Launch Predicaments of PT11 2013."
Old 06-24-2013, 01:56 PM

Quote:
I understand the design of the architecture has to be solid before you can start adding stuff. You have to make choices, and several "no" or "maybe later after a mature release" decisions.
That is exactly right. We're trying to build upon AAX in a measured way.

Quote:
On a related note - while AAX32 paved the way illustrating design changes for coming 64-bit and stability (offline bounce clearly requires the plug to adhere to several rules & standards, for example) -- it does seem frustrating to have seen AAX64 plugs showing up so late in the game. Devs had to know a recompile was needed for AAX64. I know we're only in the 1st week and Avid can't control outside dev cycles -- but it's very clear at this point devs were waiting. Oh well, PT11's release hopefully influences a speed-up of compatible plugs arriving.
We have been shipping developer builds of PT11 for over 6 months. That isn't to say that we haven't had our fair share of problems in the process, but we've been moving fast and we're pretty transparent about what we're doing. Please trust that we're doing everything we can to help the plug-in developers get it done. And I know from speaking with many of them, that they are working hard too.

Dave