Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-2012, 07:57 PM

Default Re: People - STOP BLAMING AVID BECAUSE WAVES SUCKS

Quote:
Originally Posted by janmuths View Post
Have you considered to keep your old TDM system + plug ins? You don't have to use the exchange program if you want to go HDX for future projects.
Just put the old system in the storage room and pull it out if someone needs something old re-done.

From a business point of view, consider if projected income for work on old projects will justify the higher cost.

Best,

J.
+1

Wave-T.com
Old 11-12-2012, 08:50 AM

Default Re: AVID Must DO Something for AAX DSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightworker View Post
Ain't going to happen. Avid Audio division is the only division of Avid that is actually making money. That's why they merged the audio and the video divisions together so that the books would look better to the investors. The video side of Avid has always been loosing money, if they sell the only real source of income for the company, the company will eventually fold. So we will not see that happen.
Well they pretty much run out of cash next month. So let's see what happens next year.
http://www.fishertheband.com
Mac Pro (Late 2013) 3.5 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram / 1TB Flash Storage - Avid HD I/O - Latest Mac OS - HDX3 - Latest PT Version.
Old 11-12-2012, 10:33 AM

maybe I am all by myself on this, but waves has done great job with making their native plugins very efficient- I would love to see them as AAX DSP, but at present, they do pretty well-

I think we are forgetting that lots of serious developers are not on AAX/DSP as well- Sonnox, Sound Toys, Eventide, GRM.... most of the plugins I rely on are AAX or RTAS native only.... so to single out Waves is sort of weird to me....

Member IATSE Local 700, MPSE, ATAS, NRA & USMCHC.
Old 11-12-2012, 11:06 AM

Pro tools 11 is not right around the corner it's not even in Beta yet.
And Avid is buying Waves.
Solved!
Old 11-12-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmaynes View Post
maybe I am all by myself on this, but waves has done great job with making their native plugins very efficient- I would love to see them as AAX DSP, but at present, they do pretty well-

I think we are forgetting that lots of serious developers are not on AAX/DSP as well- Sonnox, Sound Toys, Eventide, GRM.... most of the plugins I rely on are AAX or RTAS native only.... so to single out Waves is sort of weird to me....
Waves is being singled out because it is one of the only ones that have clearly said they would not support AAX dsp in the future. Forget about the interview you saw at namm, they have released a statement on their site and through emails that there will be no dsp plugins for aax.

Sonnox on the other hand have commited to aax dsp.
http://www.sonnoxplugins.com/pub/plu.../AAX_faq.htm#1

Even thoguh I signed the petition as an owner of mucury bundles, I still know that the likelihood of them changing their minds is in the order of a .something % number as in 0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001 %. Best you do like a lot of us, keep what you have as it is and move forward with HDX as a non upgrade, or don't upgrade until you are really ready to or forced to by either clients or your own hardware failing. And beside there is enough plugins out in the aax format even in dsp to work. And if you can't then you should reconsider for a new career

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberts View Post
Solved!
Any my cat has wings

Wave-T.com
Old 11-12-2012, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Pro tools 11 is not right around the corner it's not even in Beta yet.
Solved!
Even if you don't like Waves there's no need to wish that on them
Old 11-12-2012, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmaynes View Post

They have done a great job and Native platform DSP is going to get a good boost in the next Intel Processors.

What I heard from Waves is "no plans for AAX-DSP".
I take that as let's see if there's any money in it.

Boy, talk about an engineer scorned!
I don't care if Waves ever calls again, it's over.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
!
Wow, but I have heard similar things ....
MacPro5,1 ; 6-Core Intel Xeon 3,46 GHz, 32 Gig Ram, NVIDIA Quadro K5000 with 3 displays connected  OSX10.15.7  Pro Tools|HDX Ultimate 2023.6  HD I/O&192Digital&96&96i I/Os  D-Command ES  4xUnitor8 & 2xAMT8
Old 11-12-2012, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave911 View Post
Since AAX-DSP is a proprietary format tied to Avid's hardware and a limited market it would help a lot if Avid could provide some revenue incentives or software support for getting the porting done.
With Avid reporting weak financials and having apparently outsourced a lot of the software work I wouldn't expect much soon.

Whatever dominance Avid has in the audio marekt is outweighed by the uncertainty of where Avid is going.
Nobody wants to follow the leader down a rabbit hole.

What we really need is more inadvertant advice on what is worth discussing.
HDX is patently a VERY limited market compared to TDM and will be for quite some considerable time.... So I agree, some sort of carrot needs to be dangled in front of PI developers. Whatever has been dangled thus far hasn't worked in too many cases.

It's not a case of waiting and hoping for plug-ins to appear in HDX format, it's whether they are going to appear period that's the issue for me.

Currently there are NO mainstream third party HDX delay or reverb PI's, no convolution verbs and NO modulation PI's period. So unless Waves, Soundtoys or Eventide pull their fingers out, I don't see where they are going to come from....?
Old 11-12-2012, 04:40 PM

I'd be more concerned with how much money Guitar Center owes Avid. Guitar Center is in deep dodo.

Not to change the subject :)