Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-1999, 11:03 AM

Default Re: Why have two versions of Pro Tools? (LE and regular)

If you want to look at it that way, the 001 DOESN'T work! Pretty much any application you can use an NSX for, you can also use a honda for, the honda just won't do it as well.

With many applications that are possible with TDM, 001 can't do them at all! I'd be fine with them not doing them as well. I'm OK with my "car" not going quite as fast, but I still want to reach my destination, but digi has made that impossible with software hacks to the 001.

Another problem with the honda analogy is that the honda isn't capable of the performance of the nsx. The 001 could do timecode easily, and it wouldn't add to the cost of the unit. It's like your honda HAS headlights, they just cut the wires at the factory. (not to mention the fact that if you use software other than protools, you can regain those lost features) Not only is digi trying to sell you a "disabled" nsx, but for the same price, you can GET a "honda" that includes all the missing features! Why would anyone settle for a product that a company intentionally MADE WORSE?

Mike
Old 11-19-1999, 02:18 PM

Here's some more kindling for the fire:

The 001 is not easily expandable nor is the interface hot swappable like the MOTU stuff. And the MOTU 1224 has better specs than the 888|24. How does it sound? It sounds incredible, I own one. It is EXTREMELY easy to expand the MOTU PCI-324 system to 72 inputs and outputs and it is extremely cost effective vs. 001. We're talking a HUGE jump in price to go to TDM. Never mind support of open standards such as VST, ASIO, SMPTE, good MIDI capability, sample-accurate sync, and music notation. You'd have to be extremely foolish to drive your car down a dead-end street like the Digi001, unless you never plan to do much more with your system. If Pro Tools software was not "crippled" and supported some of these standards it would be an incredible system. Right now, to me, it's just a great editor.
Old 11-19-1999, 04:30 PM

Ted:

To me, a troll is someone who posts over and over without discussing the points made by others.

To me, a troll is also someone with a single agenda who only posts about that agenda.

Ted, you are a troll.

[This message has been edited by Mark Fassett (edited 11-19-99).]
Old 11-19-1999, 11:04 PM

Mark, you need to do a little more research:

troll [3] (noun)

[Norwegian troll & Danish trold, from Old Norse troll giant, demon; probably akin to Middle High German trolle lout]

First appeared 1616

: a dwarf or giant in Scandinavian folklore inhabiting caves or hills

But, hey, the Digi User Conference isn't the place for name calling, it is a place where Digidesign users confer:

con*fer (verb) con*ferred; con*fer*ring

[Latin conferre to bring together, from com- + ferre to carry -- more at BEAR]

verb transitive

First appeared 1570

1 : to bestow from or as if from a position of superiority <conferred an honorary degree on her> <knowing how to read was a gift conferred with manhood --Murray Kempton>

2 : to give (as a property or characteristic) to someone or something <a reputation for power will ~ power --John Spanier>

verb intransitive

: to compare views or take counsel : CONSULT

synonym see GIVE

-- con*fer*ment (noun)

-- con*fer*ra*ble (adjective)

-- con*fer*ral (noun)

-- con*fer*rer (noun)

Mark,
Why do you support Digidesign so fervently? Do you work for them? Do they pay you money? All they've done for me is behave arrogantly and take my money.
Old 11-20-1999, 01:04 AM

ted

if you believe that the 888|24 sounds worse than mark of the urinals 1224, then i'm very pleased to learn you don't live in the same world as the rest of us.
Old 11-20-1999, 09:57 AM

Ted,

Here's how discussion usually works: You post, I reply with points, you address those points, etc..

Here's how discussion with you works: You post, I reply with points, you ignore those points and post more MOTU drivel.

You are a troll.

I disagree with many of Digidesign's decisions, and I've discussed them in the past. You're childish black and white postings display your ignorance of the business world in general and the audio market in particular. My goal is to make sure that new users have the knowledge to not take you seriously.

-Mark

BTW: You forgot to look a little lower in the dictionary for the applicable definition of "troll." You know.. the part with your picture on it.
Old 11-20-1999, 10:51 AM

I checked the dictionary, there's no picture of me in there. Why is it so important to you that new users don't take me seriously? What if they do? How will it affect you? My friend was recently able to run 7 Platinum reverbs simultaneously using Logic 4.0 with ASIO and a 2408. He has a G3/333 beige. Imagine if he had a G4/450, now that 4.0.6 has some Velocity Engine support. Shouldn't new users be aware of this fact or do we need to pull the wool over their eyes to protect an investment of $10,000? Let the new users make their own decisions. They don't need to rely on you or me.

BTW, in case you hadn't noticed, I addressed your topic.
Old 11-20-1999, 11:17 AM
Avid

You know Ted, digidesign supports free speech and tries to avoid any type of censorship. I think this users conference speaks to that.

We have been very patient with your posts, even somewhat amused in their transparency. We've been more than happy to let you voice your opinions and interact with other users on this board, as we were under the impression that you were a current ProTools owner.

However, it's starting to look like you would rather cut and paste MOTU promotional material up here under the guise of discussion. I think this is where we have to draw the line. You're a MOTU owner. You like their stuff. OK. It's a free market, buy what you like and works best for you. Maybe they cut you a deal to do some promo or demos for them, I don't know. Maybe you need the attention and are trying to get a rise out of digi. That's cool, here I am. We all need our strokes.

However, this is a forum for the discussion of ProTools troubleshooting,
designed for users to support other users. I'm not going to get in a protracted discussion with you Ted, as I feel the subject has been exhausted. Please stay on topic.

Bob Langlie
Director of Customer Service
Old 11-20-1999, 07:08 PM

not to get off topic,but will the digi 001 software run on the yamaha dsp factory,i heard one yesterday right next to a motu 1224 and it blew its socks off as far as sound quality,dont believe me ,try it yourself,it has its own dsp(hence the name)plus a new 24 bit rackmount interface,save the tech talk,lets get back to the "SOUND",i would really like to know if 001 will work with it,thanks in advance ,I-HO
Old 11-21-1999, 12:33 AM

Bob, thanks for the reminder to stay on topic (which I don't necessarily think Ted is the worst offender of).

So bob, to get back on topic, could you (or someone else from digi) address the original questions:

Why have two versions of Pro Tools? Why not have just one piece of software that has every feature available but uses different hardware? Wouldn't that make more sense, a truly scalable system? And why tie the system to any hardware at all?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

Mike