Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2006, 11:22 AM

Default Using Beat Detective with Tempo Changes

I was hoping some users could offer some tips here. I am trying to use Beat Detective on some drums and percussion tracks and having some odd results. The session that I am working on has various Tempo Changes throughout. Very slight tempo changes, but changes nonetheless.

In using Beat Detective, in the normal way, I like to work on smaller 8 bar regions at a time to get better results. On this session (and sometimes others), I keep getting weird results, where clicking Region Conform is creating erratic odd movements. I believe this is cause by Tempo Changes. In the PDF manual, under the chapter: "Defining A Beat Detective Selection" it states that the "The Selection should not contain any Tempo Changes or Meter Changes"

Although I am very shocked to read that Beat Detective can't work over sections with Tempo Changes, I have done this in the past, although it took some trying and re-trying to get things working.

What is happening today is:

-Select an 8 Bar area on a region, say Bars 8-16 to use Beat Detective.
-Use normal steps (Capture selection-Analyze-Separate-Conform)

The oddity is that even though my Capture selection was only Bars 8-16, sometimes hitting Region Conform will make odd cuts and movements down at bar 29,30,31 for example. (I didn't even select a selection down that far yet!)

In looking carefully, those other bars (29,30,31)are indeed where some Tempo Changes occur. So that brings me back to the original question:

Is the manual indeed 100% correct, that you can't use Beat Detective across parts of a song with Tempo Changes? (bummer if so!) and Secondly:

If that is the case, does anybody have a workaround or tip to use BD in a song with Tempo Changes?

Thanks for any tips,
Wade