Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems

Old 12-04-2010, 03:18 PM

Default Weird thing that happened to me the other day

So, I use a Profile/HDx PTHD combo for the music mix of bands playing on live TV show.

Standard operating procedure is to do a soundcheck/camera rehearsal a few hours prior to air, record the soundcheck, switch over to HDx inputs, cycle the Protools a couple of times and make tweaks to the mix and familiarize myself with the details of the arrangement, switch back to stage inputs and when the band hits air.. presto.. it sounds like TV magic.

The other day when I switched over to HDx inputs... no sound came out of the console as if all group outputs and main output had been muted. I could solo up individual channels and hear their signal, but taking them out of solo.. nothing, nor did I see anything on my master output meter.

I switched back to stage inputs, and I had signal all the way through. I switched back to HDx again and then everything behaved fine. Man. I lost my confidence in the board at that point. Ghost in the machine.

I'm new to the D-Show system, so I'm more afraid of my own inexperience with this console than I am suspicious of the console having it's own issues.

I had some plugins inserted on the groups and mix bus, but they were all bypassed.. but I'm wondering if that was related to why I got no sound output. FYI they were Crane Song Phoenix, McDSP ML4000, TC MasterX3, Fairchild 660 and Impact. The licenses for the Crane Song and the MasterX were on my personal iLok which is plugged into the top left hand USB port on the console surface.

Any ideas what may have happened?

-Greg
Old 12-04-2010, 07:33 PM

Default Re: Weird thing that happened to me the other day

It was probably something which was easily overlooked. I know I've done it a bunch of times before. I wouldn't discredit the console because of it. Jus the other day, after 3 months of dealing with a sync error on a Yamaha desk we have, I finally found out the reason why. The guy who hooked it all up switched two cables on accident.

Do you recall what version the D-Show is running? What version of ProTools?

I would recommend that when you have some free time, switch over from Stage Inputs to HDx inputs a few times and see if it replicates. A thought I have is that IF you were using snapshots to make any routing changes, they could have been de-assigned from the Groups or something similar.

| VENUE Profile 96X64 with MADI Option | ProTools 7.4.2 HD3 Accel PCI | ProTools 10 Native | MacBook Pro 17" OS 10.7.1 2.3GHz Intel Core i7 8GB Ram | Mbox 2 Pro | Mbox 3 Pro | Motu 896mk3 Hybrid |
Old 12-05-2010, 08:55 PM

I had a similar situation the other day where I bypassed plugins on the main bus and still had no audio until the plugin rack loaded completely. Have to double check to see if it was operator error or if its actually an issue.
Old 12-06-2010, 03:10 PM

You need to take into consideration that after loading a show or putting up another plugin it might sometimes take what seems like a long time for plugin rack to be ready and while the system shuffles plugins around and makes re-connections you probably often loose audio. If BUSY is blinking in the corner, sit and wait until its READY.

There is a thing in Pro Tools called plugin cache that keeps plugins on DSP after you close the session and when you open another it uses the same plugins over again speeding up the session opening. Many have found this to be rather buggy and disable this feature. I'm wondering if Venue uses the same system? Can you please comment on this Sheldon? If Venue does use this, then it might be a source of some weird behavior in Venue as well and an option to disable the cache would be a good option to add.
Old 12-06-2010, 06:37 PM

Hey,

I had this problem before. Make sure your machine is running 2.8.5. I've had problems with some of the plug-ins you have mentioned. They would not pass audio sometimes. Once i updated D-show software it fixed it.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:21 PM

Interesting. We are at 2.7 something.
Stability is of the utmost importance here.

FYI
I did make sure to wait until it was done with being "BUSY" before attempting playback.