Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Live Sound > VENUE Live Sound Systems

Old 01-17-2010, 06:47 AM

Default Plug In/Inserts Interrupting Audio in 2.8.1

Is anyone else having trouble in 2.8.1 on a Venue system regarding plug-ins, inserts, and interrupting audio? It has been kind of hard to completely nail down but it seems that often times inserting or instantiating a plug-in on a channel or output bus after the show file & plug-in rack has loaded interrupts audio on that channel/bus, as if it has been muted. Once the problem occurs, you can make audio pass again on the path by either removing the plug-in completely from the strip or reloading the show & plug-in rack (you need to see the black screen Venue logo during the restart/reload).

It has happened on a wide variety of plugs so it doesn't seem to be specific to a manufacturer as the ML4000 McDSP trouble in another post on the DUC. Definitely a new problem with 2.8.1.

Is this a bug? Anyone else seen or experienced it? Thanks!
www.cordernotes.com
Old 01-17-2010, 02:20 PM

Default Re: Plug In/Inserts Interrupting Audio in 2.8.1

We're seeing the same thing.

Dave
Old 01-17-2010, 04:44 PM
Avid

Hi guys,

We'll check this out. Please contact the support line Monday at 650-731-6111 and reference this DUC post. They'll walk you through sending us the log files and copies of your show files that seem to be exhibitng this problem.

Sheldon
Old 01-17-2010, 06:45 PM

This sounds like exactly what is happening to me, i have the ML 4000 inserted on a drum group and when i turned the plug in off audio passed through once again. It also took the rack a long time to re-initialze again once it was off. One time the rack wouldn't re-initialize on its own and froze and needed to be reset. This may have been just chance that it is happening with the ML4000 for me, sounds like it can happen with any plug in?

Zack
Old 01-18-2010, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zackdh89 View Post
This sounds like exactly what is happening to me, i have the ML 4000 inserted on a drum group and when i turned the plug in off audio passed through once again. It also took the rack a long time to re-initialze again once it was off. One time the rack wouldn't re-initialize on its own and froze and needed to be reset. This may have been just chance that it is happening with the ML4000 for me, sounds like it can happen with any plug in?

Zack
There are definitely some issues specific to the ML4000 plugin. The stuff I'm seeing does not seem manufacturer specific although I suppose it's possible that a third party plugin instantiated on another channel(s) is causing the problem.

I did some playing around this morning, and I had a LOT of plugins turned on before it happened. Although, that's not so hard to do once you head down Phoenix road.....

Dave
Old 01-20-2010, 02:44 PM

So are you guys saying that you have to remove the plug in and not have that anymore or is it where you have to re insert it in the rack and re instantiate it?
Then you can use it successfully?

I'm still running the older software and I have the upgrade. I'm just seeing who's experiencing what before I upgrade the Profile.

any regrets, or should I go for it?

thanks,

Rob Warren
St. Louis
Old 01-21-2010, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Warren View Post
So are you guys saying that you have to remove the plug in and not have that anymore or is it where you have to re insert it in the rack and re instantiate it?
Then you can use it successfully?

I'm still running the older software and I have the upgrade. I'm just seeing who's experiencing what before I upgrade the Profile.

any regrets, or should I go for it?

thanks,

Rob Warren
St. Louis
For me, it's almost like it hits a certain number of plugins and then I can't add anymore without trouble. But, as I was setting things up yesterday, it was inconsistent when I encountered the problem. Sometimes turning a plugin on and off and on and off and on would fix it. Sometimes turning a mono one off and then the stereo on and then the mono on would fix it. I wasn't doing anything scientific so it's hard to say what is happening. Typically a full reboot gets everything working again.

I'm confident this is going to get fixed. The Venue guys have always been great about that.

Dave
Old 01-21-2010, 01:16 PM

Have you watched the DSP assignments in the FOH rack under the "Devices" tab while turning the plug-ins off and on when you are having the problems? I wonder if it may be similar to what happens in Pro Tools HD when you fill up a DSP slot and it interrupts audio to reassign plug-in sharing in the DSP slots???
Try it and flip over to the Devices tab and watch the DSP slots. See if the percentages change in multiple DSP slots at once.
Just curious. May help narrow it down?
Old 01-21-2010, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicboost View Post
Have you watched the DSP assignments in the FOH rack under the "Devices" tab while turning the plug-ins off and on when you are having the problems? I wonder if it may be similar to what happens in Pro Tools HD when you fill up a DSP slot and it interrupts audio to reassign plug-in sharing in the DSP slots???
Try it and flip over to the Devices tab and watch the DSP slots. See if the percentages change in multiple DSP slots at once.
Just curious. May help narrow it down?
That's not it. When the Venue needs to do that, you get a message that it's shuffling the plugin racks. Plus the problem isn't specific to plugs that make use of plug-in sharing. I've had it with 3rd party stuff as well as Digidesign plugins.

Dave
Old 01-22-2010, 01:55 PM

Sorry Dave, it was a stab. I was just curious whether it was behaving "as if" it were instantiating, or shuffling plug-ins. Hope you guys get to the bottom of it. I'm watching this thread closely because the McDSP stuff is on my list to add once our budget year begins new in April.