Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2009, 04:32 AM

Default Is Mbox2 Micro useable for LE 7.4 AND LE 8?

I'm hoping to do the following:

I run 7.4 very stable on my G4 Powerbook on Tiger. (Digi 002 rack)
For whenever I work with an application which needs Leopard, like MAX MSP 5, I boot up from a Lacie external drive.

I have a M-Audio Fasttrack Pro as well.

I now have bought the Mbox2 Micro in orer to use the Fasttrack Pro in conjunction with LE 7.4 as my "mobile" solution for "field recordings". (Whenever I can't be bothered to carry around the Digi 002 Rack)

I was asured this will work.

However, will I still be able to install LE 8.0 on my external drive (Leopard) and run it from there with the same Mbox2 Mixcro?

Or in other words: Can I install LE 8.0 which comes with the Mbox2 Micro on the external drive (in Leopard) and still use the same Mbox2 micro as a "dongle" to run LE 7.4 on the Laptop in Tiger?

I don't want to start installing and then having to de-install etc...

many thanks for any help with this!

best,

Dom

Dom
Old 05-13-2009, 11:23 AM

Default Re: Is Mbox2 Micro useable for LE 7.4 AND LE 8?

Hi Dom,

I'm afraid (if I understand you correctly) this will not work. You can't run the Mbox micro concurrently with any other interface - it is not a dongle to "let you in" to the pro tools software which you then supplement with additional I/O.

All the Micro is, is a solution to open sessions on the move with a tiny footprint but it has no inputs and only a headphone output.

Whoever told you it was, is wrong and you deserve a refund. If you want to use your fasttrack with PT you need to buy a copy of pro tools m-powered.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:20 PM
Avid

Quote:
Or in other words: Can I install LE 8.0 which comes with the Mbox2 Micro on the external drive (in Leopard) and still use the same Mbox2 micro as a "dongle" to run LE 7.4 on the Laptop in Tiger?
Actually this will work. You can boot into either OS and use the Micro as your interface when launching Pro Tools LE.

What I'm not quite clear on is this:

Quote:
I now have bought the Mbox2 Micro in orer to use the Fasttrack Pro in conjunction with LE 7.4 as my "mobile" solution for "field recordings".
You can't use and LE and M-Powered interface at the same time. How were you wanting to use this, exactly? If it's as req06 seems to think you're trying to use it - with your Micro as your authorization for M-Powered, that won't work. You need an iLok authorization for M-Powered to use your Fastrack with Pro Tools (and you would have to install both LE and M-Powered if you wanted to switch between them on the same OS - more info here:

http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...&categoryid=34
Old 05-27-2009, 03:34 AM

Thanks for your posts, everything sorted!

Using the micro as the "log in" to LE and then using the Fasttrack as the "sound card" works fine, Fasttrack just shows up as an available input under setup/hardware/peripherals...

Which is all I wanted it to do!

many thanks,

dom